Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Using a body/cell analogy to describe God

If, for the sake of argument, we assume the existence of God—or at least some state of reality that is beyond human comprehension—then we must ask, how is it possible to be all-seeing and all-knowing? The entire contents of the multiverse would have to be processed constantly; every Planck unit of time, space and energy. There would need to be both software and hardware which could crunch this data in a practical manner, which would take up more space, and having the power to pull a Matrix and actually intervene with the multiverse would take up more information still. Even if we imagine God as being pure energy interacting with itself, you'd effectively have a variable within the system that takes up more information than the entire system, and is simultaneously every variable within that system.

There are topological forms of mathematics which can possibly account for such metaphysical data, but I can't help but wonder if a better description might be one of the human body and its relationship to its cells. The cells are highly organized and efficient, but not really aware of the collective thing that is you. And that collective you, which expresses itself through consciousness, is only marginally aware of the cell network, even though it's most of your body.

So if God is the whole, then perhaps it can only be so aware of its parts. To investigate its parts the way we have ours, God would have to have to do a deistic equivalent of analyzing micro- and macroscopic information through powerful lenses. And if you're at the top, how do you craft technology if the very role of technology is to extend our intellectual reach? That would be like God making something more powerful than itself. The Christian belief would argue that God itself is that technology, but it seems to me that there are limitations that come with every magnitude of order, in terms of levels of reality. So, like humans, perhaps God's awareness has limitations imposed by the scale at which it manifests itself.

You have to realize that God would have created the cellular system, not be a part of it.
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your argument?

VonHootie02 said:

You have to realize that God would have created the cellular system, not be a part of it.
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your argument?

It depends on whether we assume God is all-powerful. I'm suggesting, through the body/cell analogy, that the power is limited.

"Seeing" and "knowing" are evolved traits. Things only see and know to the extent that it maximizes their chances of surviving and reproducing. Since "god" is not a biologically-driven creature in any religion that I'm aware of, there's absolutely no reason why he would need to see or know anything. And even if he were biologically driven, he certainly wouldn't need to know much of anything about the universe that he created, given that he's not living inside of it.