Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angry Saint

Some help buying a new pc

I'm going to buy a new pc, with the aim of playing Doom (2016) and new games for the next years.

I'm not interested in a top level ultra-quality Doom (or other games) experience. I've browsed the forum and other sites but I don't have clear ideas yet.

I visited many shops and received offers for various machines.

Which one do you think is the best, with a good ratio quality/cost?

Shop 1:
Core i5 2,7 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 1 Tera HD, GeForce GTX 950, Window 10
Cost: 900 euros

Shop 2:
Intel i5 6400, 16 GB RAM, 1 Tera+240 GB SSD, GTX 750TI 2GB DDR5, Win 10
Cost: 1000 euros

What would you suggest to ask for?

If you want to play Doom'16, neither. You want to look for a least a GTX *70 (i.e a 970) card, or a GTX 1060. A 950 and 750Ti will only barely scrape the line of acceptable performance, and thus have no future proofing in regards to performance. The second build is overall better, however. If you want, get that and then replace the GPU at some point, although make sure the power supply can handle it.

Both of those sound like a massive waste of money.

The core i5 6400 is a nice buy at 170 euro, but you could get the next model up (i3 6500) for 180 eur. GTX 1060 would be about a million times better in every way in the 250 eur range. Or AMD has some less powerful (but powerful) GPU offerings in the 120-250 eur range too. Motherboard to put it all on ~90 eur. A case and a decent PSU probably 100 eur.

A 250GB SSD probably won't last long before you fill it up, and is quite expensive. Here is another area I would only spend that money if I had a specific use for faster read/access time. Could spend <50 eur for a 750GB-1TB hdd instead and if you're an "average user/gamer" you probably won't notice a difference in speed. And then if you do decide to get a SSD later, you will have a nice hdd for secondary storage so you can't really lose.

So you could get something more powerful/capable and spend 400 eur less, which to me is worth the headache of researching and self-assembly since I would rather spend money on food. No matter what you do, I would not buy either of those systems from Shop 1/2, surely a sane prebuilt machine is for sale somewhere else in that price range?

Angry Saint said:

There are videos on youtube of people playing Doom'16 with GTX 750TI, and it seems the game is still enjoyable.

You will have to upgrade it pretty soon if you want to play new games in the next few years
Both of them seems to be expensive for what they offer. Like Vorpal said for less money should be able to get a better machine.
Look i live outside Europe and the prices we have were i live are more expensive than in the Eurozone. I built a PC that's better than both of them for less money.
I'm sure that if you search a bit more you are going to find better PC for less money.

Also if you are going to get a pre built PC, get one without Windows. They will charge a lot more for the License. Just go to Microsoft site, download Windows and buy a license from them. Also don't get the Pro version for the 90% of the home users the home version is best and you are saving about 80 euros.

I decided to go look up a modest gaming PC build and literally the first page I looked at had this: http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/CRRscf/modest-gaming-build

Total: €809. Throw in another RAM stick and it's €850. Of course, this is just bare parts and doesn't come with a Win10 license, so that's another 100 euros or whatever.

Vorpal said:

A 250GB SSD probably won't last long before you fill it up, and is quite expensive. Here is another area I would only spend that money if I had a specific use for faster read/access time. Could spend <50 eur for a 750GB-1TB hdd instead and if you're an "average user/gamer" you probably won't notice a difference in speed.

Do not listen to this man. Running your OS off a hard drive in 2016 is insane. Upgrading to a SSD is the single best hardware upgrade you can do.

I use a machine with a ssd, and yeah it's nice to have that 5 second boot, but my hdd machine boots in 15-20 seconds and for a task that I usually perform once per day it doesn't mean anything to me. I guess filesystem string searches are quite zippy with the ssd but again it's not something I do often so it doesn't justify the cost (for a user like me).

My argument is just, don't spend money on bling unless you know you will benefit.

To the OP, SSD are worth every single penny. I keep on my SSD only the OS and some vital software. The rest on a regular HHD. Give it a try. Plus with Windows 10 is even better since it allows to manage your files much better than in other windows.

My problem is that I'm not so much into self-assembly computer - yes I know this is my limit and I pay for it :-(

But more or less from your comments I understand that I should aim at something like:

Intel i5, 16 GB RAM, 1 Tera+240 GB SSD, GTX 970 (or more, like 980, 1060).

Yes, you should Shop 2 and ask them to change you the 750ti for a 1060 the price shouldn't raise a lot. Also ask them for the Windows license, if they are selling you one ask them how much and which version. If they are honest to god seller, they are going to be selling you a Home version which should be 100 euros of those 1000. If the license is more than 100 euros tell them that you don't want it. You could get an original license from 70-100 euros, don't waste money on a pro license.

Angry Saint said:

My problem is that I'm not so much into self-assembly computer

You can learn! This stuff is nowhere near as difficult as it seems - it's mostly just a matter of doing your homework and plugging some stuff together. There must be millions of instructional videos out there at this point that can help guide you through this stuff.

fraggle said:

You can learn! This stuff is nowhere near as difficult as it seems - it's mostly just a matter of doing your homework and plugging some stuff together. There must be millions of instructional videos out there at this point that can help guide you through this stuff.

Pretty much this. Around 90%-99% of computer hardware is keyed to ONLY go in the right way, so if Part X doesn't want to install properly, make sure the key notches/bevels line up to the socket. As a rule of thumb, if you're putting your weight into pushing the part into place, you are PROBABLY doing it wrong (unless it's the CPU tie-downs, those buggers can be a bit stiff).

The hardest part of building a computer (for me) is applying the right amount of thermal paste to the CPU, and even then the consequences of screwing that up are 2-5°C temperature difference.

fraggle said:

Yeah, for sure. But my problem is mainly time - I don't have so much time to start learning and doing such stuff. But I will consider it when/if I will substitute components in the new pc, once it gets old.

Thank you all for your support!

I would still say learn to build it. The hardest part of building a PC is putting the cpu in, mostly because its easy to mess up (bend pins). But even then its really like using legos. Everything else just snaps in, and most of the times cords cant conect to what they are not supposed to, I didn't even have to use any manuals and my pc has been runing fine for a year now. I built my pc for 800 dollars (this was about last fall), its got 2 1tb hard drives (bought two by accident), 16gb ram, gtx 960, i5 3.30ghz (had an i7 before, it wasn't much better but cost a hundred dollars more), gigabyte motherboard. Haven't tried doom 16 specifically on this computer, but I have had no performance issues with games other than ones written poorly or in messy architecture (eg, minecraft).

I had a buy guide meme somewhere around here, an imagine with 6 teirs of PCs and the parts and prices for each teir showing all of the options and such... but I cannot find it. I am sure there are others though updated for 2016. They are generally very useful.

inb4 the obligatory disagreement from someone about something: No.