Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sokoro

How to choose new game?

Where is the best place to look for a new games?

Steam Store is full of crappy japanese cartoon games and shows titles only avaliable on the Steam.

ING has reputation of shit, from what I read

Metacritic is full of biased reviews. Why would some reviewers praise expansions to the game which is pay to win and becoming more and more pay to win in time? Do people have no sense of fair-play? Or respect for their money?

It seems it is very hard to find some source for good game reviews, from actual gamers.

Where do You look for new games to play?

Sokoro said:

Where do You look for new games to play?

YouTube. I watch random let's plays/reviews and sometimes discover something interesting. Most of the time, however, i discover garbage, lol.

Upd: also, you may want to check out Jim Sterling. He's an independent reviewer, who is said to be one of the best critics out there.

YT, then i go to Wikipedia for info and if it interests me, i'll play it.
Also it's IGN, not ING, but yeah both IGN, Metacritic and all those so called "professional" review sites are awful and are biased towards games that they like, like COD, Assasin's Creed, you get the idea, games from Japan like Ninja Gaiden, Armored Core and such, get mediocre scores.

I don't care what other people said about "x" game, since it's personal taste.
What you may love, i may hate. What you may hate, i may love.
I friend of mine was in love with Dark Souls 3, he told to play it over and over. I gave a try not my taste, why? Because the game is trying to act like a "tough" game but if you farm souls you can get overpowered and bet the game quite easy..... yet he was in love with it Then Doom came and was really liking it and he said i bet it won't get as good reviews as Dark Souls 3.
Told him i don't care what anyone says, because i like the game and i enjoy the game and that's what matters.

Want to get a new game?
1)What do you like Action, Arcade, Strategy, etc??? look for what you like and don't look for genre that you know that don't like
2)Find a title that seems good? Go and look for videos, but don't listen what they have to say about it, just watch the game and see if you like the gameplay.

IGN is garbage.

The way I find new games is I think about what I personally like to play, and more importantly what themes interest me. For example, I don't particularly care for fantasy settings (with exceptions of course) but I'm drawn to striking sci-fi, the more retro-feeling the better. Find me a game in a genre I like (read: not RTS) and I'm down.

For reviews I read actual paper magazines! Wow I'm so retro.

Though, my connection to modern games is limited to Youtube and the aforementioned magazines. A bucket would run Doom2016 (or anything newer than 2012-13) faster than my laptop.

p.s. thanks for that link, ChekaAgent.

I go to a place called Disc Replay. It's like a thrift shop for games, music, and movies. All their items are guaranteed to be in like new condition. I'll browse about and look for intriguing titles. Then I'll youtube the game to see if it looks interesting. Then I'll ask the clerk what their return policy is to see how long I have to try it before it's too late to get my money back.