Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

These forums = BAD :(

I say delete all the off-topic posts. This is a good thread I think (because it makes us Mods think twice before doing our job) and I don't like all these shitty off-topic posts - GET RID OF 'EM, please.

Mods (NO, I'm NOT spelling 'Mod' with capital 'M' to make Mods seem superior, I spell it like that because it's the grammatical correct way to spell it...I think) are here to keep the forums clean and to try and make it possible to follow a topic without having to read through umpty-million shitty posts.
A forum never works out perfectly, Mods make mistakes, regulars break rules, people get banned, etc.
And in some cases, people who have been here a long time decide that they're tired of this place and decide to break the rules just before they leave despite having behaved nicely for months/years (you probably all know whom I'm talking about).

I'm not gonna hide my opinion on this subject. Whenever people complain about Mods trying to do their job, my reaction is always: "Well, YOU try and do better". Of course you can't because you haven't been appointed Mod, but my message is quite simply: If you got the chance to do a Mod's job, chances are that you'll screw up too.

And it's not like Mods receive any special training in how to moderate the forums.

If someone feels that a moderator here did something he should / shouldn't have done, take it up to Ling or me. That said, I don't see anything wrong with Nightmare's three example threads... 1) guy's apparantly been warned several times before, start learning already, 2) another stupid thread telling that a server is not responding? get it away already, and 3) whatever.

Granted, there are a lot of new moderators here and mod #1 might not act the same as mod #2 in any given situation. Deal.

I closed the thread because I think that it will not get any further. None of the discussing parties are gonna move 1 single inch from their point of view anyways. The whole thread basically is like this:

<someone> deepsea is not best
<deep> deepsea is the very best

Also, I can just repeat what I said pretty much at the beginning of this Deepsea thread: "Don't let us start this "discussion" once again!" It's the same stuff about Deepsea that comes up every few months. You (NiGHTMARE) should have been around long enough to know those threads, and what they usually become sooner or later (i.e. flamewars).

Oh yeah, not to forget: the thread became totally off-topic.

Now look what you have done: you make me post messages with more than 3 lines ;)

I think the main problem with these forums are the members (some of them) ie. the people who tried to ruin this thread (you know who you are).

By popular demand, this thread has been pruned of off-topic posts. I can't expect everybody to agree with what I consider "on-topic" or "off-topic", but that kind of disagreement can't really be helped. It kinda goes to show, really.

You can't make a set of rules for the mods to follow in case of a problem. Lüt and I just kinda went like "omfg look at this moron **insert link here**. Should I ban him?" until the process became automatic. We did not have any kind of laws de juro, but de facto is more than enough.

Good thing about having human mods is that they auto-regulate themselves in most cases. Specially if they're heaving posters. If they're too anal-retentive, they'll eventually grow bored. If they get fed up with all the constant garbage, they'll go postal for a few days. In the end, it's not the mods who regulate the activities in a forum but the impression they leave in the users. Pretty much everyone here knows what to NOT post.

This is starting to get out of hand. If this thread is turning into what I think it is, the mods may have to cast it into the furnace.

Woolie Wool said:

This is starting to get out of hand. If this thread is turning into what I think it is, the mods may have to cast it into the furnace.

hey there! welcome to yesterday! and no, this thread is fine now thanks to jack's fine modderating skills =) and there is no reason to ph it.

zaldron said:

You can't make a set of rules for the mods to follow in case of a problem. Lüt and I just kinda went like "omfg look at this moron **insert link here**. Should I ban him?" until the process became automatic.

yeah, but at least then stupid flamers would get punished for posting their crap on the forums. i can think of a few people who get away with a lot more crap than they should. imo what the forums are missing at this moment is the dominating admin/super mod force that once roamed the forums more frequently than what is happeniing now.

gatewatcher said:

imo what the forums are missing at this moment is the dominating admin/super mod force that once roamed the forums more frequently than what is happeniing now.

You being on the forums for only three months, I can't help but ask: What in the unholy fuck are you talking about?

That lack of a dominating force is why Unicorn(insert letter combo here) was able to post with at least a few of his profiles before being banned.

lament said:

You being on the forums for only three months, I can't help but ask: What in the unholy fuck are you talking about?

well, i was reffering to when Lut was constantly there to fix everything.

Woolie Wool said:

Banning Lut (LINUX WON'T LET ME USE THE FREAKING ALT KEY!) was a bad idea.

we shouldn't get into that, it's old news and will only arrouse stupid flame wars.

Woolie Wool said:

(LINUX WON'T LET ME USE THE FREAKING ALT KEY!)

try holding the right windows key (near he right Alt), pressing u, then "

Woolie Wool said:

That lack of a dominating force is why Unicorn(insert letter combo here) was able to post with at least a few of his profiles before being banned.

Hell, if I were that dominating force I'd let unicorn stay around for a while just because he's the best poster ever.

I remember these forums used to be a lot more enjoyable. But as of late, they have been filling to the brim with idiocy. I don't really know what the cause of this is, or maybe I'm just becoming more of an elitist, but something went wrong somewhere, I'm fairly sure.

Thinking about it, the rise in post helled/closed threads is somewhat linked to the rise in idiotic posters, but IMHO that isn't the only cause.

BTW, thanks to whoever deleted the off-topic posts :)

RailGunner said:

like i said b4, i already made a thread like this one. it's in hell.

Yes, sadly, he did make a thread about this. Sorta...you gotta look at MY reply to see what he originally said.

the_Danarchist said:

I remember these forums used to be a lot more enjoyable. But as of late, they have been filling to the brim with idiocy. I don't really know what the cause of this is, or maybe I'm just becoming more of an elitist, but something went wrong somewhere, I'm fairly sure.

I think there are a number of factors that caused this effect - I don't know them all (in fact, maybe I'm wrong about this all the same):

Some of the oldies have grown plain tired of the DW community (judging by their behavior and what I've heard).
A few old-timers got banned.
Lüt, once an Admin, got banned
Me having been on a three-week holiday so that I couldn't moderate the forums I'm assigned to :-P

I'm sorry you thought I overstepped the mark on those threads, maybe I could have done more with them, but a little thing called experience that I have accumalated over these last few months has told me that prevention with some threads is better than a cure.

What I mean is if a thread is starting to turn into a dungheap, chances are even if I delete those posts individually (which, despite improvements, takes some time) it will likely just become a dungheap again. Of course if I could vouchsafe every reply being intelligent I wouldn't do that, but i can't :)

Thanks for choosing all threads by me by the way :P I don't think any cock-ups I may have made make these forums = BAD by the way.

At least some people seem to agree with my decisions, but the point is I cannot guarentee not getting it wrong. I screw up, it happens. I still stand by those decisions but I may screw up some other time. Plus remember I'm still pretty new at this, as are a few of the others.

Having parameters to follow is difficult. This forum isn't run like an army, and a lot is trusted to judgement. 99% of the time we get it right I think. Frankly, I'm willing to accept that 1% because this is just a hobby, it's not life and death.

Anyway, I'll look a little harder for a while, I imagine someone closed the Deep thread due to it looking as though it was going to turn into a slagging match. You can always make a new thread, Nick.

Sometimes, I think one good kickass flaming thread should be allowed to run, DW seems to radiate excitement then. Perhaps just one thread...sometimes :D

fodders said:

Sometimes, I think one good kickass flaming thread should be allowed to run, DW seems to radiate excitement then. Perhaps just one thread...sometimes :D

I so agree with that. They should be moved to a special one-thread only forum denominated "Pandora's Box" and change the topic every week or so.

dsm said:

I say delete all the off-topic posts.

It very much depends on what subject is it talking about and how off people reply to it. Innocent threads aren't supposed to be sent hell.

fodders said:

Yeah, it can seriously cheer the community up for some reasons :)

999cop said:

It very much depends on what subject is it talking about and how off people reply to it. Innocent threads aren't supposed to be sent hell.

I was referring to the off-topic posts in THIS thread, 'cause they were all stupid as phuck. Anyway, they're gone now thanks to IMJack's leet modding skills.

fodders said:

Yeah, sometimes flame threads can be fun!!