Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
starurchin

Problem with freedoom "shareware" and prboom

I have problems with the "shareware" FreeDoom IWAD and prboom. The first shot of the demo has a message "unknown thing type 5025" at top left. Then when prboom tries to play the demo it prints "W_GetNumForName: HELP2 not found" to standard error and exits. I asked the prboom mailing list but they think it is probably a WAD problem. Any ideas? The doom2 IWAD runs fine. I am running prboom 2.2.3 on Linux 2.2.25 .

starurchin said:

I have problems with the "shareware" FreeDoom IWAD and prboom. The first shot of the demo has a message "unknown thing type 5025" at top left. Then when prboom tries to play the demo it prints "W_GetNumForName: HELP2 not found" to standard error and exits. I asked the prboom mailing list but they think it is probably a WAD problem. Any ideas? The doom2 IWAD runs fine. I am running prboom 2.2.3 on Linux 2.2.25 .

The 'unknown thing' is because there IS an unknown thing 5025 in the first map. I have no idea what this is.

The missing lump is another story. I think it's pathetic that there are still source ports that actually QUIT when a non-fatal error occurs. All the better ports just print an error message and continue working. HELP2 is just a missing graphic so if you can handle a WAD management tool you may be able to add it yourself. Just make a copy of the 'TITLEPIC' lump and name it 'HELP2'. Of course that doesn't look right but at least it will run (if there aren't other lumps missing, of course)

Graf Zahl said:

The 'unknown thing' is because there IS an unknown thing 5025 in the first map. I have no idea what this is.

It's supposed to be a Poing Pusher. But it's got the wrong thing number in the Boom config file for WadAuthor (which apparently was used to make the level), so it's just an unknown thing to Boom (and other ports with Boom support as well).

boris said:

It's supposed to be a Poing Pusher. But it's got the wrong thing number in the Boom config file for WadAuthor (which apparently was used to make the level), so it's just an unknown thing to Boom (and other ports with Boom support as well).

It would be useless anyway because the sector doesn't have the 'wind' flag set. But thanks, now I can at least fix it for myself.