Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar

Doom II gamemode detection broken in MBF and Eternity

Inclusion of CAVxyz and MCx lumps cause these ports to detect a commercial-level-format IWAD as being Final Doom - TNT version, making it impossible to play as plain commercial Doom 2.

I am liking a new idea.

All final doom resources will go into a pwad. Will clean up the main iwads.
I think this only affects very few maps currently in freedoom, maybe 1 or 2. Could even just figure out what patches were used in the maps and only include those.

freedoom_final.wad or something for a new target that adds final doom support to any iwad.

These ports do something fancy to try to detect whether an IWAD is Ultimate/Doom2/TNT depending on what lumps it has, regardless of name...

Honestly I don't see much of an issue. Don't they have some kind of parameter like -complevel in PrBoom?

Simple fix on the port side: detect Freedoom as its own IWAD, and use the FREEDOOM lump to do so. (Something I added to ZDoom a while ago.)

Now the only difference between Doom 2, Plutonia, and TNT is some text strings, which are quite irrelevant to Freedoom I thought.

Gez said:

Simple fix on the port side: detect Freedoom as its own IWAD, and use the FREEDOOM lump to do so. (Something I added to ZDoom a while ago.)

Exactly. If the Freedoom detection code is broken, fix it.

That's fine so long as the following things are all true:

A) FREEDOOM loaded under DOOM II is always meant to be played as "commercial" gamemode

and

B) Any other IWAD file with a FREEDOOM lump is clear as to what gamemode it should be played under.

I'm not even in the loop as to how many FreeDoom IWADs there are now, or what they might be named. An clear and concise explanation of this would be helpful.

But also you may wish to keep in mind that MBF is not a maintained port, so there's nobody to add FreeDoom support to it. Just a thought.

Quasar said:

B) Any other IWAD file with a FREEDOOM lump is clear as to what gamemode it should be played under.

Of course you need to check for MAP01 and E1M1, too, to decide whether it's a Doom or Doom 2 IWAD.

E1M1 and FREEDOOM lmp is Ultimate Freedoom, MAP01 and FREEDOOM lmp is Freedoom. FREEDOOM lmp and no E2M1 is shareware target. The rest of the targets are just pwads.
Sounds fairly simple and boom202 doesnt seem to complain. Maybe its always running with final doom compat.

Quasar said:

I'm not even in the loop as to how many FreeDoom IWADs there are now, or what they might be named. An clear and concise explanation of this would be helpful.

There are 3 AFAIK. Doom 1 commerical, Doom 1 shareware and Doom 2. They are called doom.wad, doom1.wad and doom2.wad, so no luck for detection there.

I still think the "shareware" target is a complete waste of bytes. If people want a shareware version of Doom, there's already one that has been available since December 1993.

Anyway, file names are used to find iwads, but identification should be made by their content.

Personally I think this is another reason not to include the final doom resources in the doom2 IWAD (the primary reason imho being the resource naming clashes; the secondary reason being filesize increase) and to build tnt/plutonia iwad targets.

Thanks for the info. I can finesse the detection code to give the proper experience for all the Freedoom variants. The code that is in EE right now was added back when DOOM II was the only target ;)

As for why BOOM works, BOOM apparently didn't support Final DOOM properly. Joel Murdoch seems to have restored support for it to MBF.