Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ulrichdemlehner

Modifying with Doom Builder does not work

Hi, I modify a map with Doom Builder v2.0.1.1157 by deleting an item and save the modified DOOM2.WAD file. When Freedoom starts with that modified DOOM2.WAD file, the console window and a popup message say "CheckIWAD: IWAG tag doom2.wad not present" and the starting process terminates without displaying the intro screen. I guess this means that the new DOOM2.WAD does not have the proper format, but I don't have any idea what went wrong. Can anybody help? TIA Ulrich

You cant edit iwads, well you really shouldnt...its a bad thing.

If you must edit you need a hex editor. Change the very first letter "p" to "i" to make the iwad tag.

More importantly why did you edit it? Was a map too hard or buggy? Which map and what thing was removed?

Catoptromancy said:

You cant edit iwads, well you really shouldnt...its a bad thing.

That is ridiculous. If people want to edit their iwad(s), the tools should not get in their way.

Silent conversions are what is bad.

Ya I know people can do what they want. I gave him exact directions. But iwads with bad md5sums can be annoying at times. Since this is freedoom it doesnt matter as much.

Making a pwad or experimenting with pwads I think would be much more preferred. Making a pwad from an iwad map, so iwad remains untouched also. Freedoom updates somewhat often and at times can be updated every day. With a pwad a person wont lose their changes or be forced to use an outdated iwad.

It really depends upon the editor, and I do not know DoomBuilder.
With yadex, you must always run the wad through a node builder after editing.
With an IWAD, you may even have to run it through a wad builder.

Best way to edit an IWAD:
Explode it with deutex into its components.
Edit the level you want with a level editor.
Reassemble the IWAD using deutex.
Deutex is available in xwadtools (for Linux and Dos)