Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Map Status and Map Bug Reports

Reminder: MAP09 rev7 is in incoming, but has not made it to GIT logs yet.
This rev has multi-player fixes, and other general update.
Would like to hear from coop players on suitability of item placements.

Sorry, but that link only offers me a chance to download my own upload zip file. I already have a copy. I have GIT on another system, but have never used it before (we use Subversion). I lack all information on how and where to upload into FreeDoom GIT, and probably the permissions. How to submit to FreeDoom still says that I should put it into the incoming directory. (was that post aimed at someone else ??)

wesleyjohnson said:
[...] (was that post aimed at someone else ??)

Yes, after three lines of ranting the penny drops :-) It was almost certainly aimed at MikeRS/chungy, Freedoom's illustrious, yet errant and currently AWOL maintainer. (Or at least anyone else who has a key for ssh access to push to freedoom.git.)

Anyway I've turned Catoptromancy's post into a patch series and sent it to chungy's email address. Hopefully if all he has to do is run "git am", that will get things moving faster.

Map13 rev2.2 update as per forum review comments, and to add multiplayer weapons and ammo, is in incoming (feb 26, 2011).
incoming/johnson_map13_022.zip

I've been working on map03 and did a bit of a overhaul on it. Made it a tad shorter, more detail, added a little DM area for shits and giggles.
I'm still working on proper item placement and difficulty levels, but i figured I'd see if anyone would give it a look see and give suggestions before I called it good.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17073948/SC-Freedom-map03-beta2.wad

"Keep on Doom'n!!!"

Wow it's almost like a whole new map. It's pretty easy, which I prefer, I always thought map03 was a bit hard for the slot it was in.

Anyway there are some bugs

- linedefs 2168 and 2170 need their types changing to 112, currently they rely on zdoom's zero tag handling

- linedefs 2176 and 2182 are doortracks but aren't lower-unpegged

- thing 11, the teleporter exit in sector 116 needs to exist on all skill levels, else one of the chaingunners doesn't teleport

- the chainsaw secret appears to be unmarked and the pools of slime in that area don't damage you. Is this intentional?

RjY said:

- thing 11, the teleporter exit in sector 116 needs to exist on all skill levels, else one of the chaingunners doesn't teleport

- the chainsaw secret appears to be unmarked and the pools of slime in that area don't damage you. Is this intentional?

Ah that's why he wouldn't tp in.

Hmm I thought I marked that secret. Maybe not (shrugs)
Will fix if needed.
As for the slime, just didn't mark it yet.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Sorry I realised I said something misunderstandable - I don't mean the chainsaw secret isn't a marked as a proper secret area, I meant there was no indication that it was there. I'm not sure how you could find it without endless wall humping, or using the map cheat. Maybe I missed something, though.

You should at least give some sort of indication that there's a secret in the area. Just don't make the entrance to it too obvious. A good example of a "hidden in plain sight" secret is the first level of Requiem.

Ditto. Do not care for secret area that cannot find by careful looking.
Do not accept humping walls anymore, will bring up editor or other cheat
first.

wesleyjohnson said:

Ditto. Do not care for secret area that cannot find by careful looking.
Do not accept humping walls anymore, will bring up editor or other cheat
first.

Fair enough. Will fix.

Since it's been a week or so I went and fixed the obvious bugs I mentioned upthread (changelog, updated file)

I left the chainsaw secret alone though. If it was me I'd put it behind linedef 1161, in the wall opposite the switch that lets you out of that area. Then the asymmetry of the room is enough to hint at a secret there. Better than at the back of one of eight identical slime pits the monsters emerge from.

(Sigh, and I just noticed I typoed one of the linedef numbers in the commit message...)

Thanks for the update. Your version still has many of the bugs I reported, though. It would have been nice if you had started work from the fixed version I posted just above, but I guess you had already begun, or didn't see the post.

Edit: updated, fixed again, pushed out, updated file is here.

Let me make sure I'm getting this right: If there's a map on the list with a bug report next to it but no name of a person currently working on it, I can take that map and fix it up? I feel like I owe something for starting map31 and then disappearing for a few decades.

Map09 rev 8 and Map13 rev 2.3 updates to incoming: 5/26/2011
johnson_map09_08.zip
johnson_map13_023.zip

Some fixes, some accessories added, a few adjustments.
More than just minor changes.

MAP13: Monsters climbing walls of conveyor fixed.
Added heating pipes, support posts, and other basement stuff.

MAP09: Friction adjusted in mud pit. A roof bolter added.
Added more pillars and reduced size of roof opening in pit.
Changed some monsters in water-treatment plant.

There's this one big hallway in E2M8 that moves up and down and can crush you. At the end is a teleporter with a plasma cannon on top of it. So I figured I'd run there as soon as I could and then I would be teleported out of the hallway. Only problem is that there wasn't a teleporter. When I figured it out, it was too late.

I think the level would be better if that teleporter looking platform was taken out. It makes the player feel like the level is cheating.

Also, there's some texture misalignments in E2M1 (warning 600k images):
http://imgur.com/Iv35O.png
http://imgur.com/wnLNi.png

My E3M3 and E3M9 are pretty much done now, and looking at the list I notice E3M6 isn't on there, which I was considering doing. It isn't in the current Ultimate FreeDoom IWAD... Is it done, but not added in yet?

In the meantime, I'll probably do one more Episode 3 map (Likely E3M7) before moving on to E4M9. (A bit random but I have my reasons) I may do an Episode 2 map while I'm at it.