Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlysiumX

Gloomy Dungeons

All "new" portable FPS games will have that Freedoomy look. Resources are freely available.

"It is old-school 3d shooter, indie game developed by single person (me :)"

Actually he is breaking rules if he does not mention Freedoom, I think. He needs to give credit to Freedoom and is then allowed to rip away. He does mention he will release game sources at some time.

Catoptromancy said:

Actually he is breaking rules if he does not mention Freedoom, I think. He needs to give credit to Freedoom and is then allowed to rip away.

A link to Freedoom is supplied in the in-game "About" dialog. I guess technically it had to include the COPYING file, but that seems rather impractical for smartphone screens.

http://www.moalabllc.com/

Found another! Do not see any credits here either.'

Would be cool to find a list of all the Freedoom clones out there. Kinda hilarious if someone actually downloads(pays for) each one and finds out its all the same game.

A free Official Freedoom binary should be put out there.

From what I can see in the videos they are actually selling Doomsday and Freedoom packaged.

I looked, they are giving no credit ANYWHERE, they don't even include a copy of the GNU license. In fact, they are claiming it as their own, saying it's copyrighted by them (obvious lie). I've sent them a message on YouTube calling them out, hopefully they will respond. I tried sending it as a comment first, but then it said it will need to be approved before it is visible. I wouldn't doubt that they got similar comments in the past about this illegal crap.

There's no point in getting angry about this. It's most likely just an honest mistake, and they might not have even realised that they had to give credit. It's best if someone politely contacts them and asks them to give credit.

The second one does give credit- for the PC version only? Odd.

Please note that the Doom themed games are based on the work of http://www.nongnu.org/freedoom/ and Risen http://risen3d.drdteam.org/

But it'd be better if it was more formal.

The author of Gloomy Dungeons also mentioned that he's getting a list of credits together. At least it looks like he made his own raycasting engine of sorts. The author of "Doomed Knight" just packaged Freedoom with some custom maps and sold it. I really wish that more of the open source licenses banned commercial use of code/resources.

I'm tempted to ask Doom's Knight guy for the iPhone/iPad source. The exact source that he used to compile the game for the iPhone and iPad, not a link to PrBoom's Sourceforge page. Here's the thing: if he distributes a binary of a modified GPLed program (like his iVersion of PrBoom), and someone who he gave the binary to asks for the source of this binary, he must supply the source or face penalties for violating the terms of the GPL. However, if he distributes the source of an App Store app, then he is violating the terms of the App Store and Apple will remove his app. This has happened before, for example with the GNU Go app. The only problem is that to request the source you have to legally have the binary, and that costs money. Maybe Apple will remove it if you point out that Doom's Knight guy is selling code that violates the terms of their store.

As for selling Freedoom, what are you going to do about it? Add a "-NC" clause to the license? Then if someone sells it while knowing the terms of the license, what are you going to do? Take them to court over Freedoom?

BondEar said:

As for selling Freedoom, what are you going to do about it? Add a "-NC" clause to the license? Then if someone sells it while knowing the terms of the license, what are you going to do? Take them to court over Freedoom?

No. As long as Freedoom is credited, this use of the Freedoom resources is perfectly legitimate and exactly as it is intended to be used.