It should be done all at once so the level designers can fix their levels only once. I prefer to fix my own levels, so I can work from my originals. This means that there would have to be a long period where both names referred to same FreeDoom texture. Then once the name migration occurred, the texture of the original name could be modified to theme neutrality.
I have much doubt that a suitable theme neutral design, that substitutes for the original in all uses, could be reached without becoming the original. Thus this idea is open-ended in how close to the original to become and there will always be found another PWAD that depends upon some detail of the original texture.
Experimentation on the actual textures is best done as I said, with a separate texture lump. After a few years, it will be found which PWAD needs it and how many alternatives are needed for those other special PWAD problems. During this period, the main FreeDoom textures will be left alone. Unless a good number of problem PWAD are found, this will be the final solution too.
Unless a good number of problem PWAD are known now, there is no pressing need to make texture modifications to FreeDoom now.
I am not crazy about all those other textures in the lump either (for UltFreeDoom I think, and unfinished).
I do not use them because they may not be permanent.
We could also use some new textures for some common situations that are missing.
* brick flats that actually match the brick walls (with names that match)
* a selection of table tops (formica) (tan, beige, white)
* A flat to match compgray exactly
* Some plain matched texture and flat of some other colors besides compgray and concrete grey (wood, tan, off-white, yellowed, chem-stained, oily-black, dirty-white, oil-stained-concrete, dark-blue, dark-green, dark-yellow, light-yellow)
* Tech equipment textures, a few dials, meters.
* A selection of computer screens with useful displays.
* * Industrial tank and valve
* * Some color displays (not all green).
* * Flat screens with thin borders, as I assume CRT displays, and green only displays, will have been long gone.
* A selection of grills and common wall panels, of various widths. (We currently have only two choices of louvers).
* Some drawers and cabinet fronts.
* Concrete with warning stripe.
* Flat with tire tracks in various directions (blank, N/S, E/W, turn)
Last edited by wesleyjohnson on May 22 2012 at 15:56