Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Raymoohawk's sprite edits

Thanks for the continued updates raymoohawk. Do feel free to take your time and don't neglect your homework :)

That's four rotations now, right? Does that mean that we now have a full set of walking rotations? I could put those in a WAD to try out if you like.

thats right! the walking frames are here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wf46nr9lzgd34y/zombiewalk.png?dl=0
this version also includes some editing by captain j. by the way in the cyberdemon wad, did the frames come from the big sprite sheet, that one contains some minor fixes over the first examples i posted.
to fabian, the slug attempt i posted was only a quick test, i will try to keep its original color when i get to editing it

hey guys, sorry but i dont have the zombie done yet, however i had some wacky idea, i doubt you will like it, but here it is

it helps differentiate it from the mastermind, keeps wesleys very original design and preserves the soon to be replaced chaingunner
(this is just a proof of concept, and includes many errors)

heh thats looks like a nice concept for the mastermind! hope to see the final result with all those sprites in freedoom they really looks amazing really thanks for the effort into this

The cyb sprites look awesome but I noticed something. I don't think the Cyb sprite lights up when he fires (or it is a bug in Odamex). I tested him out on map32 and during his firing frames, he doesn't light up so it just looks like he is getting washed out. Not a problem with the sprite itself, but just something that I thought should be mentioned

raymoohawk said:

the cyber hasnt been implemented yet, but all his sprites are finished, fraggle put an updated test wad on page 2

Yea, that's the wad I tested and am referring to

Ralphis said:

The cyb sprites look awesome but I noticed something. I don't think the Cyb sprite lights up when he fires (or it is a bug in Odamex). I tested him out on map32 and during his firing frames, he doesn't light up so it just looks like he is getting washed out. Not a problem with the sprite itself, but just something that I thought should be mentioned

Yep. It's an oddity (probable mistake) in Doom's frame definitions. The Cyberdemon's firing frames aren't flagged as Bright, for some reason.

raymoohawk said:

by the way in the cyberdemon wad, did the frames come from the big sprite sheet, that one contains some minor fixes over the first examples i posted.

They come from this which I assume is the big sprite sheet you're referring to. By the way, if there are changes or tweaks you need to make, just let me know; I wrote a program to cut up the sheet into individual sprites, so it's easy for me to re-run it.

I'll try to find some time this weekend to convert the zombie frames into a WAD as well.

esselfortium said:

Yep. It's an oddity (probable mistake) in Doom's frame definitions. The Cyberdemon's firing frames aren't flagged as Bright, for some reason.

Theoretically we could use Freedoom's dehacked patch to tweak/fix this, but I'm hesitant to do this because of a couple of technical reasons.

Yeah, about the worm i have the same opinion, it's very well done, but it could have some improvement and the green could replace the brown yeti (FD Hell Knight), but it would take some time till the sprites are done.

well during vacations i could work on the original monsters, right now i can only do the editing of what is already there. i actually already helmeted all the zombieman sprites, i just need to apply the shading now

Why not make it the spiderdemon then? It seems like it would be more appropriate for that slot anyway

Ralphis said:

Why not make it the spiderdemon then? It seems like it would be more appropriate for that slot anyway

The current cyberdemon originally was a spidermastermind. We had 2 submissions on almost the same day for the spider. We were desperate for sprites at the time and wesley's spider looked more like a spider and looked nothing like it was firing rockets.

Another note, this is freedoom, we only need a monster that looks like it is capable of shooting rockets or miniguns. "Spidermastermind" does not need to look anything like a spider. We can change the dehacked string to name it anything it resembles later.

Sprite artists only need to match the projectile it fires and damage dealt.

about the mastermind, the idea was that the minions carrying it are going to be the soon to be replaced sprites (i only included the zombieman as a placeholder, but it could instead be the current baron) as a way to pay homage to past sprite sets that will not be in the later versions.
also a question, is the cyberdemon rocket only used by the cyberdemon, or is it used for other things as well? if not, couldnt the sprite show two smaller rockets instead of the usual big one? just to keep it consistent with the monster
still working on zombie :-)

esselfortium said:

Does any projectile shooting monster have bright frames?

I checked a few and didn't see any.

P.S. the same rocket is used for Cyberdemon and the player weapon.

andrewj said:

Does any projectile shooting monster have bright frames?

Arachnotron, mancubus, revenant. Those who fire guns instead of throwing stuff, in other words.

raymoohawk said:

also a question, is the cyberdemon rocket only used by the cyberdemon, or is it used for other things as well? if not, couldnt the sprite show two smaller rockets instead of the usual big one? just to keep it consistent with the monster

Nice idea. Unfortunately the rocket sprite used for the Cyberdemon's rockets is the same one used for the player's rockets, so it wouldn't really work.

Why not edit the Cyberdemon sprite to have one single canon in middle? i guess Urric wouldnt mind at all as long he is still credited for the original sprite.

and those 2 cannons that it have can be edited to some sort of tubes that connect to the cyberdemon armor or skulls. dunno.

great! ill have the zombie done next weekend
i had an idea for a possible revenant replacement, its body could be made of bugs (like the leech zombies, but bigger), and the homing missile is one the bugs that dettaches and flies towards the player
edit
i just noticed that the front sprites of the zombie dont animate well, ill correct it later

raymoohawk said:

great! ill have the zombie done next weekend
i had an idea for a possible revenant replacement, its body could be made of bugs (like the leech zombies, but bigger), and the homing missile is one the bugs that dettaches and flies towards the player

Sounds interesting, though I'm finding it a bit hard to visualize :)

i just noticed that the front sprites of the zombie dont animate well, ill correct it later

The front walking animations look a bit odd but they've always looked that way and I don't think it's your fault. But is there any chance that the sprite offsets are wrong?

If you could, can you put the updated sprites all into a single sprite sheet (like zombiewalk.png)? I have a script that cuts it up into separate sprites automatically.

actually it is my fault :-) the shading of the torso is the problem, it jumps around too much, ill fix it later, im still not done with the set, but when im done ill upload them together in a sheet like with the cyberdemon.
by the way why is the freedoom revenant so tiny?

The revenant was originally a taller sprite that was made for something else. It got shrunk down to its current height because it was too tall.

Also, i believe it's because the actual revenant actor is a lot shorter than the original doom sprite is. The original has a tenancy to clip through the ceiling in low ceiling rooms. Freedoom's seems to correct this.

IMO the lost soul and pain elemental replacements need to go, especially if you were intending on making freedoom less hell themed.