Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jewellds

Texture improvements

I discovered that WALL03_3 was kind of ugly, so I did a new one.
Old on the left, new on the right:

I used this photo from Wikimedia Commons as basis for the valve, but it has a Public Domain declaration so it should be fine.

Also, I fixed a minor niggle with one of my own textures. I felt it needed more contrast.

becomes good also that brown texture uses that 2 patchs (in texture lmp)? if no i choose the red one.

The new WALL03_3 definitely looks better, you can actually tell what it is now :)

I think the AGM door looked a bit better with less contrast, though: in particular, the gradienting on the two vertical panels on the sides looks a bit too strong IMO.

Yeah, I agree. I shouldn't have darkened those panels. An easy fix :)

I still think the door needs more contrast. It was bugging me how much brighter it was compared to the other textures in the game.

Here's a comparison of the textures ingame. I'll leave them as links to save cluttering the thread with giant screenshots. :P

Old New

We should not use anything public domain. Everything in freedoom should be made from scratch or derived from previous freedoom resources.

Da Werecat said:

The lighting on the door is all over the place.

Good catch, I see what you're referring to. I think it might fix the problem if the vertical strips on the sides were mirrored so that the light comes from the upper left rather than the upper right. That way it'd appear more consistent with the rest of the shading on the door (and most other Doom-style textures).

Catoptromancy said:

We should not use anything public domain. Everything in freedoom should be made from scratch or derived from previous freedoom resources.

No, it's fine to use public domain material, provided it really is released to the public domain (example). But sometimes people use "public domain" in an informal sense to mean "publicly available" and that's not necessarily okay.

The photo linked in the OP looks fine.

I'd still encourage people to always be upfront about sources for material, like Jewellds has done here, so that other people can double check that what's been done is okay.

Wow! I can't believe I never noticed that lighting inconsistency. Thanks for spotting that.

New version:

catoptromancy i agree we should try and do things from scratch (we are trying to make a resource after all) but i think cases like this one are fine since the final image is clearly distinct from the source one. also nice improvements!

The rivets are indeed still off!
Fix:

Kind of embarrassing how many times it took me to get that right. -.-

Sorry for the bump, but I didn't think this needed a new thread. Here are some minor updates for two of my textures:

I've replaced the valve photograph on WALL03_3 with one based on a self-made 3d model. This allowed me to make the lighting consistent with the rest of the texture, with the added bonus that this texture is now entirely my own work.

I've fixed up DOOR2_5 to include more consistent lighting (I seem to have a problem with that, don't I? :P). I also added Sodaholic's improved shading from a zip he posted a while back.