Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

level guidelines

excellent!!11

i'd like to mention that the deepwater and invisible bridges effects you mentioned not to use can both be replaced by boom 242. most people know that deep water can be replaced, but so can invisible bridges. see boomedit.wad for example of usage.

i have one colormap request, if possible: something that fades to grey for fog, probably 0x7f7f7f or similar. i can supply one if needed. i like fog :)

Share this post


Link to post

esayeek said:

i have one colormap request, if possible: something that fades to grey for fog, probably 0x7f7f7f or similar. i can supply one if needed. i like fog :) [/B]


That sort of colormap will alter every single map tho, not just single sectors like Boom deep water colormaps do. Actually it's impossible to do fog effects in a coupld sectors or even in a single map in Boom.

Share this post


Link to post
Cyb said:

That sort of colormap will alter every single map tho, not just single sectors like Boom deep water colormaps do. Actually it's impossible to do fog effects in a coupld sectors or even in a single map in Boom.


no i mean a deep water usable colormap that goes between c_start and c_end. yes its doable yes you can use it to set fog yes it can be used on only one map yes it can only be used on part of a map even yes it uses linedef 242 yes it looks cool and yes i've done it

Share this post


Link to post

The exception is that 2-3 levels will need to be plain doom2 for recording demos. (while boom editing features are fairly standard, there is no real standard demo format across the ports - the closest is original doom2 v1.9)


Yes good idea. Note that v1.9 demos can be recorded with PrBoom (maybe others, JDoom?) and played back by limitless ports even on levels that would overflow doom2.exe, so this restriction does not mean anyone should spend hours getting their levels below VPO limits. It's very unlikely we'll need to go out of our way to meet this requirement.

Changing subject, MBF demos are not badly supported; PrBoom can play and record MBF demos, so together with MBF you can play and record on all major platforms. I guess smmu/eternity are not far from supporting playback. The demo crowd already use it a lot for TAS demos so are probably happy with it. This would be the natural choice for freedoom demo packs.

Share this post


Link to post
esayeek said:

i have one colormap request, if possible: something that fades to grey for fog, probably 0x7f7f7f or similar. i can supply one if needed. i like fog :)

You're welcome to submit extra colormaps if you want. Is the fog effect done using 242 colormaps and translucent lines on the edges, like in FFI?

Share this post


Link to post
fraggle said:

You're welcome to submit extra colormaps if you want. Is the fog effect done using 242 colormaps and translucent lines on the edges, like in FFI?


yeah. it takes a little work; you of course have to tag every sector that the player will be in in the fog and give it it's own 242 control sector. but i think it looks cool. exactly how should i submit this colormap?

Share this post


Link to post

Wack it in a .wad and upload it to /incoming/freedoom .

if you could chuck in a test MAP01 or something we can extract the MAP for the main tree and also have a look at the effect too :) Perhaps stick the level in a seperate WAD file for simplicity.

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Jon said:

Wack it in a .wad and upload it to /incoming/freedoom .

if you could chuck in a test MAP01 or something we can extract the MAP for the main tree and also have a look at the effect too :) Perhaps stick the level in a seperate WAD file for simplicity.

TIA


cool :)

*poof* fogmap.zip uploaded

i can do a sample .wad, probably get it in by tomorrow morning

Share this post


Link to post
esayeek said:

i can do a sample .wad, probably get it in by tomorrow morning


Heh, I look forward to the sample then.

Share this post


Link to post
Cyb said:

Heh, I look forward to the sample then.


ewwwww.... i hate to break it to you, but it looks like i wont be doing a sample. you know why? because tonight, in a fit of inspiration, i well.... err umm i uhh..... i started my freedoom level!! :)

so as soon as i get an unfinished version of that out you will be able to see teh foggage.

Share this post


Link to post
Cyb said:

Heh, I look forward to the sample then.


the current map31.wad in freedoom_levels.wad, while obviously not done, illustrates this effect.

Share this post


Link to post

So does this mean line type 244 (silent teleport) is allowed, then? I usually don't edit for Boom and am not sure if it supports that.

Share this post


Link to post

Erm well if its a boom line type then yes.. what do you usually edit for?

Share this post


Link to post
Archvile64 said:

So does this mean line type 244 (silent teleport) is allowed, then? I usually don't edit for Boom and am not sure if it supports that.


pick up a copy of boom and read boomref.txt: everything that's allowed in boom and nothing that's not. if you are still concerned then know that i play every single level in freedoom (although some of them on lower skill levels ;) ) using vanilla boom 2.02; so i will catch any boom incompatiblitities that slip through.

Share this post


Link to post
Jon said:

Erm well if its a boom line type then yes.. what do you usually edit for?

Ususally my levels are just for any source port, since I don't use any specific features, but I've only tested them in ZDoom.

I did just run through one of my levels that uses the 244 line type in Boom, and it works, so I'm assuming it's okay.

Share this post


Link to post

Ok cool. I'd recommend you get a copy of boomref.txt (its in the editing section on doomworld somewhere). It's a really useful reference.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0