Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jupiter_ex

Hi. I wanna contribute some original music to Freedoom

Hi, I play Freedoom oftenly, and I would really want to see it finally mature. Music is one of the things I've noticed is not entirely great. And I would really like to contribute some original music. I'm a professional musician and I have done music for some games before.
Also, the Freedoom page says music is one of the things you're looking for help about.
I'm not sure whom to talk to.

Go right ahead. No ones stopping you.
If your music is good/better than what Freedoom has now, you can be sure it'll be added.

ahm.. do you guys have any song or level in mind where you would like the music to be replaced? or maybe you were already perfectly happy with all the music?
Any tone in particular? action, suspense.. I don't know
I've had a previous experience trying to submit sprites for the game in here that stalled due to lack of feedback / attention. Anyway I see since then someone did a pretty good job with new sprites.
I don't know, perhaps I'm wrong. I'd like to see Freedoom to be fully blown as a game, with at least the same dedication some doom mods around there have. I think FD is a good idea. I work in game development and I can't help but feeling everytime I play FD the impulse to go like "damn, I'll just commit better sounds asap". I'll try to come up with something, I suppose

EDIT: anybody else doing this job, would be perfectly fine for me. I just want to play FD and feel the same excitement as when I play, I don't know, Beautiful Doom, Smooth Doom, Project Brutality why not, or any other whatsoever

Tbh, many people have different tastes, so it's hard to to tell whats "good" and whats "bad". Why don't you make a MIDI, share it, and let others decide which level it should occupy? It worked for the completely new tracks present throughout Chapter 3.

Freedoom runs on what people contribute from time to time. If you present new music, then you are making Freedoom v1.0 one step closer.

If you really need to start out with something, C1M5 uses a duplicate track, thus needs replacing. Play that level to understand what tone you want the player to feel from your music.

this is great advice, all of it. Thanks
When you say C1M5, you mean in freedoom1.wad that's, control center, right? I might see to that.

IIRC C1M5 is Main Control it may get removed someday due to the current vanilla-compatibility goal. Worth mentioning, FreeDM could use some more action-based music, preferably ones that aren't present in the other two IWADs (Phase 1 and 2).

And looking forward to what you are going to make!

well I've put something together now here. Rendered a wav as a test (actually I ran into some problems with the midi export since it has been a long time since I deployed to raw midi, but I'm gonna work that around soon) If you like where this is going I'll keep working on it, polish it, make it loopable etc, and deploy to midi after testing it in a couple of midi wavetable sets

I like it. I really like it. There's this feeling of dread, lonliness 3/4 of the track, which ends with what I presume to be the climax of something big.

I can't say how it'll sound in MIDI but I like the overall tune.

that's midi, using Unison, a pretty old and lightweight soundfont. I just recorded it to a wav.
Cool, I'll keep working on it then, and submit a midi when it's done

i hear your song, well its bad in begin for my tastes but if i begin the music in 0:30 is actualy very enjoyable, aside from the begin its a very cool music.

well. After an embarrasingly long time, an unexpected attack of creative shyness, my kid getting sick, me going on vacation, the general sense that I didn't like at all where this was going, and a lot of times where I chose to replay doom 3 BFG edition (which despite it's obvious flaws I still consider to be pretty well the definitive version of doom 3) for the millionth time rather than working on this, I brought one new song. Would miss some extra polish only
I expected to present 2 songs, both in the 'action oriented' area, but I finished this one first and decided not to delay this anymore.
I don't know, let me know if this is any good at all. If you have any suggestions I'll take them

EDIT: it loops

jupiter_ex said:

well. After an embarrasingly long time, an unexpected attack of creative shyness, my kid getting sick, me going on vacation, the general sense that I didn't like at all where this was going, and a lot of times where I chose to replay doom 3 BFG edition (which despite it's obvious flaws I still consider to be pretty well the definitive version of doom 3) for the millionth time rather than working on this, I brought one new song. Would miss some extra polish only
I expected to present 2 songs, both in the 'action oriented' area, but I finished this one first and decided not to delay this anymore.
I don't know, let me know if this is any good at all. If you have any suggestions I'll take them

EDIT: it loops

I like it. :)

Love the oomph you put in their. And if my ears aren't lying to me, I think i hear a reference to a another track from Freedoom. If I'm correct Blueworrior's C3M7 track (did I get it right?)

When can we expect the midi?

Edit: wait a minute. The first track you showed us before, would go in c1m5/c2m6. Your new track, can be added to FreeDM, say map06 or map10, and so on. It needs more action paced music anyway.

Edit2: don't forget to give your name and email if you want to be credited properly.

Voros said:

I think i hear a reference to a another track from Freedoom

nope. Anything like that if happened was absolutely unintentional, but I'm going to check out that track

how do I give you the midi through here? I don't know how to do that

that's pretty neat! I've never heard that song before. Is that in the current build of freedoom? If anything, I estimated you were going to find it maybe similar to the one from 'barrels o' fun' (which wasn't the idea either :) )

yes I did this as a midi. The previous one I also made it as a midi but, no longer used to deploy to raw midi, I used the DAW I use regularly for music productions which alas, doesn't export to midi, so I was in a little of a exporter fiddling mess to fix that.
For this one, I used directly on a midi sequencer. I'll be seeing to open some online hosting service account and hosting the thing on it.
Or perhaps I can send it to you through email

ok here's the third and final track from what I promised. More or less plus some tweaks this should be it. Anything you hate about it let me know. If all of this is ok I should start with the MIDI sending.
Also, when you respond, there's another thing I'd like to point out

That track is too Doomy in my opinion. Sounds a lot like an E2M1 remake. But the other two tracks are fine, so share those MIDIs.

Share them all if you like.

true. There's this one part. I'll see to change that and resubmit it

I wanted to work a little in some sfx too. More specifically the single barreled shotgun shot and cocking sound. I think they sound not too good. Is there a chance I could submit new ones?

Of course, no one's stopping you! Just make sure the sounds are in WAV format, 8-bit, mono, 11025 hz. Although, what about the midis?

midi status is the following:
one (the one that goes here by the name of 'test2') is ready to send.
the other one I just posted (test3), I'll have to change that bass (I assume the similar part is the bass in the C key sections) and is also ready to send.
test1 is 'stuck' in a DAW that doesn't export to MIDI, so I was looking to completely finish the bulk of work on these three songs to go back to that and untangle the mess of exporters I'll have to deal with (I refuse to resort to transcript the entire MIDI again by hand), then It'll all be sendable. My idea was to send all 3 at once, but I can do as you prefer. Is there any deadline, or rush to integrate these? Just downloaded FD version 1, it looks pretty good

No rush. But you never know what problems life can bring you. There was a guy who made a sweet archvile replacement. It was getting close to being finished too, and then the guy was never heard from again. Raymoohawk is probably gonna continue his work when he gets the chance.

Point is, if you share what's already ready for submission, it won't get lost.

well that sounded like some tutankhamun / final destination kind of curse right there. Now I'm afraid me or my HDD get ran over by a car before I can submit this! I could always wear one of those metal bracelets "in case of accident send the following files to freedom.org: C:\..."
( joking :D )

hey, I've been listening somewhat thoroughly to the current music in the game and it's a lot better than I remembered. I made the only full playthroughs of FD quite a couple years ago (stopped playing when I started finding the white empty "coming soon" rooms). Things are much better now. Sorry if I offended anyone offering myself to do new music. All I cared about is for the game to feel good to play and have quality.
Apart from this, is there any tool to unpack the sfx from the game so I can work on it (the shotgun initially. And maybe take a look at a couple more)?