Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
YukiHerz

Updated version of my Map

Here
I've added Aquatex textures and fixed some small issues, if there's anything left please tell me about it.

It is still vanilla, I didn't have any issues saving a loading later at random points, it is meant for Phase 1.

Screenshots for people around.

My testing, this map dont fits well for a e1m1 slot its more to a e1m2 or up since it already implement key system, for now i'm looking forward a next version whit monsters too.

It still feels like it is nearly an e1m1. 1 key is fine. Many rooms are quite boxy, but outside area is excellent. That map would be an excellent base to remake for a great e1m1.

everennui said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6g2kknp6r7k8lf/aquatex_v6_fix.zip?dl=1
Note: This is the original texture pack. The one inside Freedoom is a bit different eg no new flats other than AQELEC (now SWATER), power-of-2 dimensions for all textures, a few textures from SLDR.

Protox said:

My testing, this map dont fits well for a e1m1 slot its more to a e1m2 or up since it already implement key system, for now i'm looking forward a next version whit monsters too.

I think it's alright. It shows off the new Aquatex textures, which is a plus.

Jon said he would prefer his maps be removed then to be "amputated" for the conversion. With some work, this could make a good E1M1. I'll playtest this map soon.

Protox said:

...looking forward a next version whit monsters too.

Eh? It should have monsters unless something broke while saving in GZDB.

I'm still trying to improve my indoors-techbase decoration ability, any tips and pointers are welcome.

So far so good. Remember that HOM I mentioned?

The best I can get, given how there's barely any space to stand and take a screenshot of it. You can check it out better by going there in game.
Also, I agree with Cato. Show off some vanilla features. Make the player understand what's what eg acid's bad, barrels explode, armor/health look like this, etc. similar to how Doom's E1M1 coincidentally is like.

Put something worthwhile on the big acid pool outside, such as light armor.

Are the slime falls meant to be static?

YukiHerz said:

Eh? It should have monsters unless something broke while saving in GZDB.

I'm still trying to improve my indoors-techbase decoration ability, any tips and pointers are welcome.

Sorry, i just tested your nap whit -nomonsters set :P

I've updated the file on dropbox, I can't see any HOMs either in choco doom or doom retro, so I guess that's fixed, I've also fixed the slimefalls to be animated and added a green armor to the slime pool(along with 4 armor bonuses in easy difficulty), I think next is making the indoors more interesting and removing the Lost Souls to properly fit into E1M1.

YukiHerz said:

removing the Lost Souls to properly fit into E1M1.

not necessary... e1m6 & 7 have lost souls too.

^ I think he meant making the map more friendly by removing the Lost souls. It is basically the candidate of c1m1

HOM's gone now :D

Make the sector in front of the door full bright so that new players will notice it.

Why did the texture suddenly change here?

As for the starting room, increase the overall brightness, cause first impressions matter :)

This map could be the next C1M1.

Voros said:

Why did the texture suddenly change here?

As for the starting room, increase the overall brightness, cause first impressions matter :)

This map could be the next C1M1.

It was meant to decrease the sameyness of the wall.

No matter, I've started the rework of the first indoor section to be more visually appealing by doing it from scratch.

If you believe you can make it better, then go right ahead. The outside area is already so amazing, more than C1M1's. And that'll leave a good impression on players.

You've introduced the key system, the armor/health/weapon/items, the enemies and how frightening they can be in groups, lifts, outside-the-box secrets, the possibilities of alternate/extra routes, barrels and their dangerous explosion damage, acid-is-bad, dark lighting.

Include a section with flickering lights, and you're all set.

When you're satisfied with the map, be sure to say so. It might get into Freedoom.

i can just suggest something like a trick for advanced players like just a rock path in the acid so running fast you can avoid the damage, i just dont like to be forced walk in hazard to get stuffs, like in doom1 e1m1 and e1m7 (an armor bonus in corner of acid pit)

Updated the file, I've redone the first 3 indoor rooms, hopefully they're less cramped and still showcase the same gameplay elements, along with the use of a simple switch to lower some closeby pillars blocking the way and reveals a secret,
I've also moved the acid armor and made it stand on a small rock patch, so it can be obtained safely, lastly I replaced the Lost Souls in UV with a single Spectre that is limited to the acid pool it is sitting in.

Whoa, it's growing! I think you should now stop adding stuff and start doing minor polishes. It's about ready to be added.

1- the outer area. What's the point in going there? I recommend adding a blue armor at the end of tunnel with the pinkies. Soulsphere for lower difficulties. Preferably, the powerups on a small column so that it can be seen from ground level. That, and mark it as a secret.

2-the spectre is useless. Remove it outright. And take out the pinky in exit room for lower difficulties.

3-the enemy count. Lower it about 4-6 on skill 1-3, skill 4 should remain unchanged.

If you can address those things, I'd say it can be added soon.

Voros said:

Whoa, it's growing! I think you should now stop adding stuff and start doing minor polishes. It's about ready to be added.

1- the outer area. What's the point in going there? I recommend adding a blue armor at the end of tunnel with the pinkies. Soulsphere for lower difficulties. Preferably, the powerups on a small column so that it can be seen from ground level. That, and mark it as a secret.

2-the spectre is useless. Remove it outright. And take out the pinky in exit room for lower difficulties.

3-the enemy count. Lower it about 4-6 on skill 1-3, skill 4 should remain unchanged.

If you can address those things, I'd say it can be added soon.

There's a well camouflaged chainsaw in the cave, though I should add assorted items too for extra accomplishment.

The spectre is indeed useless.

For enemies, I only have the choices Easy, Medium and Hard, I think Hard is UV and NM.

Edit: File updated with the changes, may be a little too easy now.

YukiHerz said:

There's a well camouflaged chainsaw in the cave, though I should add assorted items too for extra accomplishment.

Edit: File updated with the changes, may be a little too easy now.

Hah, just noticed. Secrets like that make me grin.

The enemy count is perfect now. Don't tweak it anymore.

The intitial door seems to open from one side. Either make it open on both sides like before or make it stay open once it is used.
And that small closet containing ammo and shells, the one that opens upon flicking the switch that opens the bars, isn't marked as a secret.

And yeah, HOM.

Voros said:

The intitial door seems to open from one side. Either make it open on both sides like before or make it stay open once it is used.

I think what would be best is to make the player aware that he has to get the blue key before he can open it. At first, I thought the map was broken.

The door could also be made open on both sides, I agree, since the player can't complete the map without the blue key. It would give the player more freedom to choose which area he wants to clear first. A little of backtracking is good too.

All doors except the elevator one are meant to be usable from the start, with the re-creation of the inner section I didn't realize that one door broke, I've fixed that now, along with hopefully fixing that HOM issue as i didn't see it in my test after applying some small changes to the section, it seems I also fixed the slime trail, though I'm not sure how to properly check for those, file is updated.

Alright its pretty much finished. The only thing that nags me is that small closet I mentioned earlier, isn't marked as a secret.

What about using this map as a first map to build a new episode 4 instead of replacing maps from episode 1?

Episode 4 are just maps from another PWAD, nothing new. Freedoom's episode 4 should be unique. This could be E4M1.

axdoom1 said:

Episode 4 are just maps from another PWAD, nothing new. Freedoom's episode 4 should be unique. This could be E4M1.

Episode 4 is a very consistent. It would be a shame to remove it. The whole mapset was donated to Freedoom by the authors, and its high quality. Removing it seems like a big step backwards.

With sone minor edits, it too can be unique.

^I can understand that. The reason believe Yuki's map should be c1m1 is because its short, fairly easy, introduces many key elements for Freedoom, utilises the fresh Aquatex textures and is fully vanilla. That, and Jon wishes his maps be removed rather than converted, so that helps.