Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

[This is stupid, don't respond] Should we have an art director?

So, FreeDoom lacks leadership in art direction, and I think this should be rectified. Perhaps we should elect an art director? I think it would benefit the project greatly.

Do we already have one?

If not, I may consider running as an art director. I know that I've stated in the past that I think things should be much like the originals, but I really don't feel that strongly about it. Never mind, that was stupid. It was just a side-note, not meant to be the main focus.

Wow, when I saw your name beside the thread title I was going to joke about how you should nominate yourself, but then you actually go ahead and do so in the first post.

I think Freedoom could benefit from artistic direction, but I'd rather it be provided by someone who is a respected and established artist, or at least someone who has demonstrated that they can formulate and unify some kind of artistic vision. Even better would be someone who has actually managed to finish and release at least one project.

If possible it would be nice to have a defined artistic direction for the project, though at this stage in the project I'm not convinced that's possible.

I made some comments [1], [2], [3] in the "new TC" thread about this kind of question; the thing is that for a completely new project, it's comparatively straightforward to define guidelines for the material that is to be created. In the case of Freedoom, there is already a mostly-complete IWAD with textures and other artwork. So my question is: what would a Freedoom art director do? Boss around the artists who are contributing to the project (of which there are hardly any, anyway)? To set any kind of bold artistic direction might require reworking large amounts of the art we already have. Who is going to do that?

If I was starting Freedoom now, with the hindsight that I have, I think I would have tried to structure the project very differently. But what's done is done and this is what we have now. I think the role of an art director would be mostly redundant at this stage in the project's development.

What I will say is that if such a role is to exist, the bar should be set high: I would rather continue with the status quo than have someone in the role that was not a talented artist. It would have to be someone who had several well-known and renowned projects already under their belt.

Finally, you request to be considered for the role yourself. I have nothing personal against you but I don't really know anything about your artistic qualifications, so I'm unable to judge your suitability for the role.

esselfortium said:

Should it be Sodaholic, though? No.

He should direct his art away from the project.

Sodaholic said:

If not, I may consider running as an art director. I know that I've stated in the past that I think things should be much like the originals, but I really don't feel that strongly about it.

I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth

Okay, that was kinda stupid, but it wasn't the main point I was trying to make. I was saying that we should elect an art director in general, doesn't have to be me.

Can we direct attention toward what this thread was meant for, which is considering getting an art director? Again, I emphasize that I don't care about my role in the project one way or the other, people with more experience are better suited for it anyway.

I already feel stupid enough with that comment, just ignore it and focus on the main point of the thread.

Sodaholic said:

I already feel stupid enough with that comment, just ignore it and focus on the main point of the thread.

Which Fraggle already explain is pointless in this stage of FreeDoom. If you hate the artwork that badly take it upon yourself to improve it. Otherwise you don't have much say in the matter.

Use3D said:

Which Fraggle already explain is pointless in this stage of FreeDoom. If you hate the artwork that badly take it upon yourself to improve it. Otherwise you don't have much say in the matter.

True.

To clarify, I wasn't nominating myself. I was stating that I may consider running alongside others if others approved of the idea of electing an art director.

Nonetheless, I've already embarrassed myself in this thread, and seeing as it no longer serves any practical purpose, it belongs in post hell.

In itself it's not a bad idea at all, it's just too late. FreeDoom needs people that contribute content, not another empty position just telling others what to do.

I'd try, but I can't draw sprites or textures so I'm pretty much useless. And with how much freedoom has already developed, a guy telling people what to do would probably slow it to a halt.

Use3D said:

In itself it's not a bad idea at all, it's just too late. FreeDoom needs people that contribute content, not another empty position just telling others what to do.

I think it would be kinda expected that the art director would contribute strongly to the project he is artistically directing.

Use3D said:
Which Fraggle already explain is pointless in this stage of FreeDoom.

It's an opinion, and he said basically that it's pointless unless it's done well, directed by a talented artist, not that it's outright pointless. It sounded more like "I'm skeptical we can pull this off" rather than "it's a bad idea." It would probably require redoing a bunch of resources, but enthusiastic artists can be rather prolific. I mean, TV did about as much graphics work for Harmony as all the Freedoom artists in less time all by himself, for example. Sure, Freedoom has some complications from making it work with PWADs, but on the other hand it's also a project that has potential for a wide (and wider) user base.

I have been observing FreeDoom's development from a safe distance for a few years now.

It seems to me, what this project needs is a small team dedicated to finish it in a limited time. So far it has been a community project and this worked... for a while. But now the momentum is gone. It may take several years before it is finally finished.

Paradox: The bigger the team is, the longer it takes to complete it.
This is caused by the fact that no-one really feels responsible and people feel replaceable.

If you have a small team (of like 5 people) dedicated to wrap it up in a limited time, chances are it will actually get done.
Instead of having a hundred people doing one of two small things, you will need 5 people willing to do all that is need themselves.

Waiting for the community to finish it, can take forever (just look at community chest 4).

My advice would be to make a small team and set a deadline. For example 6 months from now. This team gets to make all the decisions. Their product will be the official FreeDoom. If people don't agree, well, they can make there own version of FreeDoom... that is after all the whole idea behind the project... to make free Doom projects.

The current version of FreeDoom is pretty neat. Sure some areas should be polished, but most of the work has been done. It just needs to be wrapped up.

So in short:
Assemble a wrap-up team and finish this thing in 6 months!

Note 1: Yes I know it will be hard to assembel such a team.
Note 2: Currently I am very busy with other projects, so I can't volunteer :-(