Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mirko

How did you get your Gamename? What is it?

Me personally, I've never really had one, so I go by my middle name. I guess I just don't have a nickname or taken the time to think of a very cool name.

My handle "Nomad" was inspired almost exclusively from This Song:

I've been fortunate enough to snag the nickname at many of the communities I frequent before anyone else could, however it's become pretty common the more populated sites. I started also using "TheDigitalNomad" which has it's own backstory I'm too lazy to type out, but long story short I've defined it as a synonym to the phrase "web surfer." When THAT is taken, I'll usually use something like "digital-nomad" or "dignomad"

Because back in the olden days of the interenet, there weren't 100 Mr. Ts per internet mile.

I came up with it when I was around 5-8 years old. That is all.

I miss the days when googling for "Jodwin" only gave results related to me. :P

<pedantry>Don't have an Xbox, so probably don't have a Gamertag either.</pedantry>

@Mirko - Here's an older thread or two on the topic you might enjoy reading.

It seemed fractionally less retarded than "Doom1982" when I was trying to think of a username on the spur of the moment, so I went with it.

GreyGhost said:

<pedantry>Don't have an Xbox, so probably don't have a Gamertag either.</pedantry>

You don't need one, it's enough to have an XBox Live account for Games for Windows-games. ;)

Last time, I said:

Back on AvP2 I went by Head Hunter (bit of a given there, really...)

Of course, I branched out into the wider world of the internet and such an unoriginal name was taken. So I thought Doom, though moons and... spelt it wrong. Hence Phobus.

I am now allegedly a member, which would imply I've been posting more than I thought. I'll get round to putting my avatar on here at some point, I'm sure.[/B]

And I also said:
[B]This avatar was modified from the redone version of my original avatar. Wills did the remake, I added the border - but as the avatar was originally 64x64, I needed to trim it to get it on here. Hence removing the moon and most of the face.

However, since then I've become regulated. As a bit of additional interest I find Phobus tends to be taken these days, as does Phobos. I used to get round this by using Phoban, Phober, Phobot or Phobic but I decided standardising would be a good idea. So on YouTube I have one or two videos up as ZDPhobus... and XBox Live I'm on as CressyJ (I don't use gold so there's no point in adding me). I will one day get round to coming up with some sort of standard if I ever have to though.

Back in 9th grade, I had my name written on my notebook in caps. Being bored in the middle of health class, my friend scrawled a circle through the A, and thus the legend of Danarchy was born.

Recently, some faggot stole my name and became famous as an urban explorer, so I'm a bit annoyed. I considered changing my handle, but I've been using it for well over a decade, so I don't think so.

Jodwin said:

I miss the days when googling for "Jodwin" only gave results related to me. :P

I know that feel, bro. I know that feel.

I am Heavy Weapons Guy, and THIS is a dead horse being beaten. :p

This is the only place where I use this handle. When I signed up I used the HWGuy in TFC a lot and it didn't hurt to have the HWGuy as a default avatar. Since then I favor being the Soldier.

I think I've been going as Chow Yun Thin for about seven years now. I got the name from a mission in the first GTA where you're told to kill a bunch of triads. To assist you in this task, an NPC with this name follows you around and so I took the name.

HWGuy said:

I think I've been going as Chow Yun Thin for about seven years now. I got the name from a mission in the first GTA where you're told to kill a bunch of triads. To assist you in this task, an NPC with this name follows you around and so I took the name.

Which is clearly a bit of wordplay on Chow Yun Fat.

Danarchy said:

Which is clearly a bit of wordplay on Chow Yun Fat.

I thought it was clever and memorable, or at least more original than using AlTeRnAtInG cApS or adding Solid Snake or a bunch of numbers or Xs to a name. The numbers and Solid Snake I get, but I don't understand what's up with the Xs.

I got mine (I'myourtarget) from an old Timesplitters Future Perfect video on Youtube over 5 years ago. I don't think that video's around anymore, actually...

Oh, it's not a Gamertag like on XBox live or anything, I don't have an XBox, but I just mean my username on most other games.

I thought I came up with valkiriforce with the intentional wrong spelling of "Valkyrie" to add some flavor to it's use as a username. Come to find out I remembered hearing that somewhere...

I was tired of using my band name (partition36) for my handle, and needed a change elsewhere. So a contraction of Yuki because it's a nice girl name that I like that means snow (which I also like), and b1t/bit to show I'm a computer geek.

It's the name of an improvisational piece by French band Magma, aka "La Musique des Spheres". Its enigmatic name fascinated me for awhile til I discovered a probably explanation related to chord names.

EarthQuake said:

So we're calling them "gamertags" now?

Well I'm not sure what the proper term is, gamer name, gaming nickname?