Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Recently I found out that arachnotrons make a passive growling noise while walking around. It's one of the sounds that can be played when you press Y to confirm that you want to quit the game. I could never pick this out from their foot stomping.

To me it would make more sense if they had no passive sound and this was their "injured" sound.

Would it be difficult to modify this in ZDoom?

Sigvatr said:

Would it be difficult to modify this in ZDoom?

Nope - SNDEFS could be used to do it without even editing the DECORATE definitions I reckon.

I only recently discovered that the SSG sounds are supposed to be played back at 22 KHz. TBQH I find that they give the SSG a much more badass sound when played at 11 KHz, like I'm currently doing in Mocha Doom :-p

Doom doesn't have SFALL1-4, or for that matter any kind of liquid falling textures (those are only in Doom II). I really wanted a nukage fall, so tried to get a similar effect using steps with SLADRIP1 lower texture:

There's a tiny nukage pool at the bottom of each mini-fall, that flows down into a drain to the lower tier. It was a bit time-consuming to setup (y-offsets by hand) but I don't know any other way to get similar effect...

There are two transparent pixels in Doom II's city sky:

You'll notice that the pic seems fine if you fill these holes with color #255. Another proof (along with the alpha image formats) that the Id guys used this color as the transparent color in their image converter. When digitizing the source picture, this was probably the nearest palette color to what the source picture had there.

Sigvatr said:

Recently I found out that arachnotrons make a passive growling noise while walking around. It's one of the sounds that can be played when you press Y to confirm that you want to quit the game. I could never pick this out from their foot stomping.

It's not really a growling sound, it's more of a robot-mechanical sound, no?

esselfortium said:

Today I just noticed that in Doom II, MAP04: The Focus and MAP05: The Waste Tunnels both end in nearly the same way [and that] MAP06: The Crusher ends similarly, with a rising bridge to a yellow key-locked exit door....

It's never a good sign when you've run out of ideas already by the end of the fourth map. No wonder American pretty much gave up after the first episode.

This is another reason Doom 2 left a bad impression on me when I first played it (not sure why you would only realize these repeated themes now :p)

40oz said:

Demons cannot instigate infighting.

W T F ! fo'reezle?

fraggle said:

Did you know that John Romero built the level Perfect Hatred in six hours?

Nope! One more reason Romero is my hero. For Dep4TWID someone will have to bang out a Romero-esque map in six hours
for true authenticity.

What I realized recently about Doom is that you can keep the bridge on Limbo from lowering if you go into the blood maze before hitting the switch near the blue skull-key. EDIT: in other words, hit the switch next to the one in blood after going into the blood maze and the bridge will remain for the entire level.

hex11 said:

Doom doesn't have SFALL1-4, or for that matter any kind of liquid falling textures (those are only in Doom II). I really wanted a nukage fall, so tried to get a similar effect using steps with SLADRIP1 lower texture:
-img-
There's a tiny nukage pool at the bottom of each mini-fall, that flows down into a drain to the lower tier. It was a bit time-consuming to setup (y-offsets by hand) but I don't know any other way to get similar effect...

You know that Doom and Doom 2 share the animated textures/flats list, right? So you can take the Doom 2's nukage fall texture and put it into your WAD and here you go.

That on E2M6 there is no ceil height difference when ceil textures change at the entrance of the dark area (it goes from light gray to wood). And that I was wrong about the plasma rifle only being attainable via secrets in the entire game (sans that addon episode released after Doom 2). You can get it in the dark area without finding a secret. But this is the only place in all of Doom. (The plasma rifle on E3M6 is technically in a secret sector).

TomoAlien said:

You know that Doom and Doom 2 share the animated textures/flats list, right? So you can take the Doom 2's nukage fall texture and put it into your WAD and here you go.

I forgot to mention: this is pure vanilla map for Undeath '94 project. Only stuff in IWAD can be used. But until now I thought SFALL was already in there...

-I found out that using multi-patch textures as middle textures on a 2S line makes vanilla DOOM blow up.

-I found out that you can add flats to vanilla DOOM by adding F_END to your WAD (without using F_START), though I haven't tested this to make sure.

-I've found out that hiding behind a door that demons can't open (locked doors, primarily) and repeatedly opening it partway and then closing it is a great way to cause lots of infighting without having to move or get shot at.

I just recently learned about the teleport that opens in map08 to allow co-oping players to exit the map if someone screws up the intended exit.

Bashe said:

I just recently learned about the teleport that opens in map08 to allow co-oping players to exit the map if someone screws up the intended exit.

In single player, just run onto the first lowering platform and immediately retract; it shouldn't be too hard to do and once you get back, simply go to that teleport.

Map08 has such a cheap ending. I'm glad the GBA port of the game just has a teleporter inside the pit if you screw up. Who wants to beat an entire level just to die in a hole right in front of the exit?