Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hex11

Undeath '94 - a new vanilla Doom episode (beta)

oh boy, now it just became a simply episode? Whatever, i've a brak to this project... but there's only few little things to change back...

Yeah, I was hoping for a megawad, but I guess an episode is more realistic. I think your map is very good already, except for the two glitches I mentioned earlier. Only tested it on HMP though, so more testing is needed.

I'm still (slowly) progressing. Here's the computer room with improved texturing & lighting:

Excellent! :)

I updated the original post and added two useful URLs.

Another possibility would be to just download this entire directory tree: http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/levels/doom/deathmatch/
It should be under 100 MB total, and might make searching through them easier, so long as you can manage to preserve the server's file timestamps (which is generally accurate as it indicates when each file was uploaded to idgames). On Unix or Linux, this does the trick:
wget -mULynx -t0 -np gamers.org/pub/idgames/levels/doom/deathmatch/
I think there is also wget for Windows or OS/X, and other similar mirroring tools...

abanware.wad is my choice for a base map and I will start working on it ASAP.

Looks like a pretty cool 94 deathmatch map and it was a first pick. I really just clicked on the first link I saw in the levels/doom/deathmatch/a-c/ directory.

I'm actually working on it now.

E1M2 btw

Pretty damn good for a '94 map! You should check out the gerbilz.wad sometime for comparison. ;) Alright got you down for E1M2.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dnog68d4n9wz666 V2 (hopefully, the final)

fixed the lowered walls in the octagonal room, added few more enemies and changed drastically the exit portal, instead of the classic raising stairs, the portal is locked from some bars that needs to be lowered with a tricky puzzle game a la hexen (or much better, like Simplicity)...

also, since i noticed you used some non-e1 texture, i've take this way too, but in the monster / gameplay section... check the final for a little surprise!

Hey I really like that ending, man! That turned out really great! :)

Yeah in my map there's a little bit of marble in one area, and even one of those skin textures (but that one is harder to identify). This project isn't 100% strict like DTWID, so anyone can use whatever they feel makes sense, like you did in your map. Also, difficulty level can be slightly higher than the original Doom as long as it doesn't approach the level of Plutonia, Hell Revealed, etc.

ok... and thanks for the feedback!

also, i thinking to redo another map wich i've got from my own CDs when i started working on nasty11...

last question: there can be possible using also some maps always from 1994, but uploaded in recent years? (Like a map uploaded from funduke or perseus)? Or it must be a 1994 map in all the terms, as like as 1994 tune-up?

BETA V1 of E1M2 ABANWARE.wad remix

You can download it here
Play on UV because that is the only difficulty set
REMEMBER TO READ THE TEXT FILE

It is about 90% done. Editing item placement and difficulty settings is in mind. I will also be modifying the warehouse area and fixing minor issues that come about.

This is my first map so I'm all ears for constructive criticism.

This is how far I got on my first run (final position is the little white arrow all the way on the right):
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6939/mapwq.png

Architecture looks good. I didn't notice any texture alignment problems. The lighting is good too, but questionable in one part: the area at the south of the map that become almost pitch-black (except for one illuminated switch). I found it very hard to fight there, because I couldn't see and kept getting disoriented (when fight was over I had to use automap to navigate). I think that area could be improved by adding a couple small light beams that flicker on and off, in order to give a reference point for navigation. For example, look at the dark maze area in E2M6. There the lights flicker on and off, illuminating only a small sector. In that maze the surrounding areas aren't really very dark, but in yours they would be, which would make the effect even more stricking.

A (little) bit more ammo may be needed. I ran out soon after crossing the red door. Maybe 4 shells in that imp closet near the red door, and a box of bullets somewhere else nearby would do the trick. Either that or a berzerker pack (which could possibly be placed in a secret).

Okay, I just watched the demo and saw how to get outside where the shotgun guys are. That provides more than enough ammo. The secret is marked well enough, I just missed it...

I played again, this time with Freedoom IWAD and that was interesting because it behaved a little differently: in the downstairs area at the start, the blue flashing lights remain visible at ceiling level, which helps with navigation. It's also nighttime now and I was able to see much better in the dark. Anyway, that's a pretty small area so maybe it's okay as it is.

I made it to the warehouse area, activated the four switches and then hit the exit button, but got confused when nothing seemed to happen. Then I fell into one of those acid pits (must have been drunk!) and died. That sent me back to the start, where I noticed that exit door... ;)

Some more thoughts:

In some places you applied the "activated" switch texture (SW2*) on switches that haven't yet been used. For example, SW2SLAD on linedef 1048, right after the red door. When activated, those textures change into the "off" position (SW1* equivalent texture, so in this case SW1SLAD). This might cause some confusion.

The wall that lowers itself to access the outside secret area (linedefs 1205 & 1207) have the "lower unpegged" flag set, which gives the illusion that the texture is "unrolling" itself instead of the physical wall moving down. If the texture doesn't line up with the adjacent ones, you could uses the y-offset to adjust it instead. The outside linedef may also benefit from a switch and/or different texture, so the player doesn't get confused on how to get back in (they shouldn't, but...) SW1STARG might work okay as the lower texture (upper texture can remain as STARTAN3).

The two SW1STRTN switches in the southernmost nukage area (linedefs 1313 & 1316) seem redundant, since they're right next to each other and operate on the same corridor. It's also not immediately clear what they do. One idea might be to remove one of those switches, split the large nukage area (sector 253) into two smaller areas seperated by a wall or grate (like say in that narrow section to the north) and have the remaining switch open that passageway. Then in that corridor to the right, you would only need one obstacle (sector 283, opened by the switch behind the SLADWALL pillar).

The exit door itself seems redundant, unless you have something planned for the trek back to it from the warehouse (linedef 1671 opens up some monster closets?) If not, it probably makes sense to change that linedef type to 11 (end level). It also might be good to have a way out of those nukage pits (like teleporters, or lifts on the outermost walls).

Edit: also, it's not very clear what the switch on linedef 861 does. The player probably won't have any reason to go back down into the dark area to the south, so won't even realize he opened something there. It might make sense to relocate the switch down there, maybe in sector 140 (and have it illuminated like the lift switch) or maybe a bit to the north on linedef 732 so that it can be seen from the north before the lights go out (and then maybe it's okay to not illuminate it, since the player has a chance to spot it beforehand).

Alright, this is looking good! It just needs some starts for players 2-4 (probably in same room as P1 start), so people can play in co-op mode.

Deathmatch starts and weapons/ammo/items tagged multiplayer would be a nice addition, but that's really an afterthought and not the primary goal of this project. Add those in if you feel like it, but if it's a lot of trouble, then don't worry about it.

I can't help but notice you have a nice empty nukage sector:

This feels like a good secret area candidate with a Green Armor item on a small island or something. How to get outside is the question... If the door is only visible from the vantage point in the screenshot, then the player has to think a bit and estimate where the entrance might be located on the inside. Anyway, this is just an idea...

I haven't posted any more screenshots because I was doing secret areas... But here's something new:

I really didn't know what to do with this area, so made it into a storage room (but without crates). It looks a bit flat from this angle, but there's a dropoff behind, and ahead in the distance is a lift...

This project can't die, it's already undead. And I map as fast as a zombie, so it's perfect. ;)

Looks like that author had the same idea, because he later on made a SP version of that same map:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=334
But it looks almost the same, except for more monsters and items.

I'm curious to see what you'll come up with...

Would you mind if I take E1M9 slot? I would like to try to make a vanilla map that looks like a military base, basing on this wad:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=959

Can Doom 2 '94 DM maps be accepted too? (This one is such case, it's layout would make for a fun short secret map though)

EDIT: Can the layout be expanded a bit while keeping original elements intact?

Welcome aboard, Memfis and alterworldruler! The slots you requested are now yours.

alterworldruler said:

Can Doom 2 '94 DM maps be accepted too? (This one is such case, it's layout would make for a fun short secret map though)

Normally no, but we can make an exception for this one because it's actually based on LEDGES.WAD, an older Doom DM map. :)

alterworldruler said:

EDIT: Can the layout be expanded a bit while keeping original elements intact?

Yes, feel free to expand the geometry if you wish. I did so with my map, in order to add stuff like secret areas, monster closets, etc.

Also, you're free to use any textures from the original Doom IWAD (episodes 1-3). There is no strict limitation to use only episode 1 textures.

Edit: another screenshot from me (somewhere deep in E1M3):

Very nice! I just played v.1 (downloaded earlier) and found only one bug: the room/ledge with scrolling compblue wall and tekwall pillars (immediately to the left of bridge after the yellow door) has a damaging floor (I'm guessing it was originally part of the nukage sector). I'll try the v.2 later tonight. :)

I tried v.2 and didn't notice any new stuff except the caco. It plays okay on HMP, but I didn't try lower skill levels. I also ran though the original DM map, and noticed that you expanded the layout quite a bit, and of course the texturing is a big improvement. ;) I only found a couple secrets, and managed to find the route to the "top" of the crates, but I'm not sure if that counts as a secret area (didn't see any items to grab up there).

and managed to find the route to the "top" of the crates, but I'm not sure if that counts as a secret area (didn't see any items to grab up there).

You can get to the rocket launcher room from there.

Memfis said:

You can get to the rocket launcher room from there.

Very nice map you've got there Memfis, in meanwhile I began preliminary work on mine map, it's not easy staying true to the original layout and expanding it. Not gonna show screens for a while :P.

Some thoughts on abrmx_v2.wad:

- It is too hard for e1m2. Maybe add a green armor and some more ammo near the start?
- The dark traps are still annoying, perhaps more light sources are needed?
- Level progression is a little confusing. It isn't obvious at all what some switches do, so you have to recheck every room to see what has changed.
- I don't like how some walls unexpectedly open in the main hall. Why not mark them as doors? I think it would improve the sense of progression greatly.
- That huge building at the end is cool, but it's annoying how you have to do the same thing 4 times.