Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Marcaek said:

You know, I think he meant it when he said "don't tell me". you should spoiler that, I'm sure he'd rather figure it out on his own.

I actually did find it within hours of posting it. Thank you for your kindness though.

Mattfrie1 said:

I just found out there was a hidden teleporter in the exit room of TNT Map 01. Mind = Blown

Whoa I just found that too!

I just now discovered that monsters have a quite complex behavior depending on their distance from their targets, and that whether a monster decides to shoot or not depends more on luck than range -although it does have a minor role for some very specific cases.

Maes said:

I just now discovered that monsters have a quite complex behavior depending on their distance from their targets, and that whether a monster decides to shoot or not depends more on luck than range -although it does have a minor role for some very specific cases.

Just finished reading your book "In bed with Doom" ^^
For the amount of code that's used for the logic the effect of the monsters having a mind of their own is quite nice... always expect the unexpected.

p.s.: Thx for your 'P_Random()' tip!

Mattfrie1 said:

I just found out there was a hidden teleporter in the exit room of TNT Map 01. Mind = Blown

that thing creates a funny standoff in deathmatch. when you see/hear your opponent drop down there (for the BFG), you rush to the teleport destination and guard it. if both of you are patient enough, the deadlock can last forever! :)

It was only until I saw Looper's maxdemo of Map 28 that I noticed you could shoot a pillar near the exit to reveal a rocket launcher.

Here's a doozy of one that St. Alfonzo just ran into. Grab your favorite map editor, open up E3M6, and examine the number of skullkeys.

Spoiler

There are two blue skullkeys. The key actually appears in a different place if you play on ITYTD/HNTR. Never, ever noticed this until Fonz brought it up. It's still weirding me out.

One thing I found out is that the tower of babel appears further progressed in contruction every next intermission screen in the episode after beating each map.

I just now discovered that the Doom Marine sprite has some brown stains on the sides of its trousers, that don't go away with color translation. Are they supposed to be buttons/ammo pouches/or what?

Maes said:

I just now discovered that the Doom Marine sprite has some brown stains on the sides of its trousers, that don't go away with color translation. Are they supposed to be buttons/ammo pouches/or what?

Maes, are you trolling? Chocolate shotgun OFC ;-)

Xaser said:

SPOILERS

The Crusher actually has three different key locations depending on the skill level.

...the Doom Marine sprite has some brown stains on the sides of its trousers

Doom is a scary game. ;)

Maes said:

Are they supposed to be buttons/ammo pouches/or what?

I think they are tears in the fabric of his trousers. No idea for sure though, given the resolution of the sprites.

The brown on his legs looks like straps for some thigh pouches to me, which are sort of hard to distinguish from his pants themselves, but are more evident in the diagonal frames, and the photo of the clay model used to create the marine sprites.

In regards to some maps having different key locations based on difficulty, wow that's awesome. Never noticed because I always play on the same skill level I guess. Do the locations on the easier difficulties make the level easier to complete? ie, do you have to go through an easier assortment of monsters to get it?

Face23785 said:

Do the locations on the easier difficulties make the level easier to complete? ie, do you have to go through an easier assortment of monsters to get it?

On easier difficulties, the keys are more out in the open, whereas on harder difficulties, you have to look harder for them, as well as fight more monsters.

What I've noticed lately:

The 3DO port of Doom seems to have some excellent remixes of the Robert Prince tracks, much better than most remixes downloadable commonly.

Some console ports use a shocking gibbing animation for the status bar face, where his face blows up, leaving just the eyes. I thought it was a joke, until I saw the wiki description...

While playing 2 sectors, I just realized that if you zoom in to one of the keys on the map after using IDDT twice then the keys are shaped like keys even on the automap.

Face23785 said:

In regards to some maps having different key locations based on difficulty, wow that's awesome. Never noticed because I always play on the same skill level I guess. Do the locations on the easier difficulties make the level easier to complete? ie, do you have to go through an easier assortment of monsters to get it?

I also realized this 15 years after the game's release.
Though I haven't tested it enough to answer your question.

Thanks tempun. I thought they weren't originally cause I remember them just being normal items. Thanks for the clarification.

tempun said:

In ZDooms only.

Nope. Key's appear on the automap in vanilla Heretic, if you play on skill 1.

After 18 years I only recently figured out precisely what the partial invisibility pickup does, courtesy of idly browsing the Doom Wiki.

No, really.

Xaser said:

Here's a doozy of one that St. Alfonzo just ran into. Grab your favorite map editor, open up E3M6, and examine the number of skullkeys.

lol i thought this was common knowledge

i think in every description of what changes in each difficulty in Doom they'll say something like "monsters and ammo change depending on difficulty with the excpetion of e3m6 where ..."

That the maps D_THE_DA appears on are in a geometric sequence: 6x2=12, 12x2=24

Open your lump editors and look at TROOO0. Then look at TROOP0 and TROOQ0

Spoiler

Behold as the imps hand changes to that of the zombieman. See also POSSP0 and POSSO0 for reference

About two days ago I figured out that doors and full height walls block sound on their own.

Tarnsman said:

About two days ago I figured out that doors and full height walls block sound on their own.

I take it your mapping is going a lot quicker now? ;)

Vordakk said:

I take it your mapping is going a lot quicker now? ;)

I still have a lot of block sound retardery going on in my maps.

Doors and objects (e.g. switches) may require the possession of keys to be activated.

Sector movements can be activated not only by touching or shooting lines, but also by crossing them.

If you combine both, you can make lines which activate a sector only if you possess a key while passing them ... hooray, a key detector platform!

Speed of DOOM - MAP06

These aren't things that I just found out, but I did first discover them within the last year or so.

1.) Spectres are supposed to be invisible, not just a quirky monster. The graphical distortion is just a result of my computer's speed, so I've never had the intended experience with them.

2.) Demons cannot in-fight within their own class. This makes things less simple.