Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chubzdoomer

If Doom was done today

As a lifelong fan of Doom and someone angry with the direction in which today's first-person shooters are headed, I knew after I watched this video about Quake, I had to whip up my very own Doom WAD to spread the word about just how pathetic today's shooters and their campaigns really are. I'm talking about lame elements like cutscenes that constantly disrupt gameplay throughout each level, regenerating health, and incredibly linear level design that punishes you if you decide to try and explore off the beaten path.

That being said, I present to you, "Call of Dooty," a parody of most modern shooters set on Doom's E1M1. You've undoubtedly played Hangar thousands of times before, but never quite like this! The intent of this WAD is to make a statement about today's games, not necessarily to be enjoyable to play. Regardless, I hope that you find it entertaining and get a few laughs out of it.

Mirrors:
Click Here
Click Here

Full-Length Gameplay Trailer:
Click Here

Please let me know what you think! I know I can't be the only oldschool Doomer around who feels absolutely disgusted by the level (and game) design of almost every new singleplayer shooter he touches.

okay modern games have too many scripted events, dialogue, on-screen directions, quicktime events, and other meaningless cinematic clutter that interrupts gameplay, I get it.

Nice video, I'll try the wad later. If shareware Doom played like that I'd probably have given it the flick.

Mr. T said:

This was hilarious

GreyGhost said:

Nice video, I'll try the wad later. If shareware Doom played like that I'd probably have given it the flick.

40oz said:

okay modern games have too many scripted events, dialogue, on-screen directions, quicktime events, and other meaningless cinematic clutter that interrupts gameplay, I get it.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I've gotten some requests to do more Episode 1 levels in that style with goofy tributes to modern gaming cliches so I may very well take those people up on that offer. If I do get around to creating more stuff for it, I'll post updates here in this thread.

40oz said:

Fabulous! I'm happy for you.

This is an awesome idea. When done, name it doom4-antibible.wad and mail it to Tim Willits.

DaniJ said:

This is an awesome idea. When done, name it doom4-antibible.wad and mail it to Tim Willits.

LMAO!

Haha, this was funny :)

I agree that it's pretty sad so see that modern games are only rail shooters with a little bit of space to run around to give the impression of freedom. Until you get to the next scripted event of course.

Tarnsman said:

Minor nitpick, Isn't 'f' the use key and not 'e' for CoD?

You could very well be correct. I know a lot of games today use E, though - even Battlefield 3 - so I just went with that.

This Is Pretty fun, I expected a loose COD resources rip and such but it turned out pretty cool actually, would love to see an entire episode this way.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

The Mockaward is saved, methinks.

Indeed.
Im considering running this by some of my tool acquaintances (the ones who like CoD) and see what they think of this.

That was hilarious. Do modern FPSs actually have that "return to mission zone" thing?

DuckReconMajor said:

Am I a horrible person if I'd legitimately enjoy playing that?

It's not any worse than any half-assed ZDoom or ZDaemon co-op mod, really.

Danarchy said:

That was hilarious. Do modern FPSs actually have that "return to mission zone" thing?

Certain multiplayer maps in Call of Duty stop you from doing it via slightly more innovative ways. I'm sure Battlefield games have that actual message come on the screen though.

Evne SOCOM did that on the single player campaign sometimes, and those were fairly free-flowing missions when it came to how you'd actually acheive the objectives, avoid detection, etc.

This is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. Just imagine how a level like Downtown would be created nowadays, there would be one straight pathway to the exit (the rest is blocked by debris), invisible walls, and probably 15 cut-scenes, at least.