Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Doom's Octodecennial

Did you know that we don't even have to do anything special for that damn cake up on the left to appear? It's hardcoded to show up every December 10th. That makes our lives so much easier, except for the fact that it's hard work to catalog the best WADs released in the past 365 days, as nominated by you, and present them as we regularly do. Fortunately, we don't actually need to do all that work, because Hobbs did it for us this year.

All that said, enjoy this year's 18th Annual Cacowards. Just don't expect any of us to be around for Doom's 21st.

My personal congratulations to Brutal Doom for winning the first Gameplay Mod Cacoward. You done well, buddy.

Ah that was a fun read. I'm starting to think I look forward to the Cacowards more than Christmas these days :P

Congratulations to all the winners! And congrats to skillsaw for winning the mapper of the year! You deserved it buddy :D

Wheeeeee, happy Doom Birthday! Damn nice picks, congrats to Skillsaw (somehow saw that coming from miles away), and awesome that Brutal Doom takes the cake it so rightfully deserves. Whoo!

One quick gripe though from the PRCP review: "Regardless of its flaws, Plutonia Revisited is an excellent megawad that once again lives up to the expectations of the Plutonia name."

What flaws? There aren't any mentioned in the text. Unless it's really that hard. :P

Huh, weird. I feel like I should be working on something right now. o_O

I don't think hard is the right word but it really is that stupid sometimes. Really. On UV when I first played through it sometimes I'd just find out I was dead pretty suddenly, and I consider myself to be a decent doom player.

What I've played of Plutonia Revisited has been pretty killer. Xaser's contributions by themselves already put it into the top tier for me -- Enigma Helix and Wicked Garden both surprised me with some of the most strikingly memorable, atmospheric moments I've ever experienced in a Doom map. The fact that an entire great megawad comes with them is icing on the cake.

Yaaaaay Doom! Congrats to everyone who won (and yes, extra special congrats to a deserving skillsaw). Cool to see a wad I contributed to win an award, even if it was just a footnote secret map whilst Khorus actually did all of the real work :)

Here's to Doom's 18th. [/me take a sip of Oban]

Hm...

Worst cacowards, ever.

Not surprising though considering that I barely found anything worth playing over the recent months. Those oldschool classic megawads did nothing for me and they look like the big thing of 2011.

Hm...

Best cacowards, ever.

Not surprising though considering that I barely found anything not worth playing over the recent months. Those zdoom/gzdoom featurespam wads did nothing for me and they look like the losers of 2011.

Graf Zahl said:

Worst cacowards, ever.

Check the nominations thread. 9/10 wads come straight from there and with multiple nominations. Call of the Apostate is the only thing sort of popular in that thread that didn't get an award and tbh it's because I was constantly bored to death by it no matter how much I tried to like it.

So if you don't like how these Cacowards went, post shit in the nomination thread next year :P

Best cacowards ever! ;)

I agree with every choice here, except I haven't played Mandrill Ass.

Well done to all the winners!

[Edit]
It's especially awesome to see Ice Bound get awarded, since I was afraid that that one would slip under the radar.

Also, well done Skillsaw for winning Mapper of the Year. :)

Vsporware (demo) was a fun 15 minutes, but Cacoward material? NO

Other than that, GJ!

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Graf Zahl said:

Hm...

Worst cacowards, ever.

Not surprising though considering that I barely found anything worth playing over the recent months. Those oldschool classic megawads did nothing for me and they look like the big thing of 2011.

Why haven't you been laughed out of Doomworld yet

Graf Zahl said:

Worst cacowards, ever.

Why do you care about them, anyway? How likely is that taste of a few random people coincides with yours?

All of the 45 maps (that's not a typo, I'm serious) in this set are enjoyable for play in DM, without fail. Each and every one of them offers something worthwhile to a Doom multiplayer connoiseur, making it excellent for continuous play on a server.

AMERICAN GLADIATOR \o/

No Mockawards this year, huh? Oh well, that's OK. By now I've become accustomed to having my projects completely looked over. :-)

Maybe we should all be re-releasing the same boring repetitive map over and over again, but adding heaps of shitty 3D features that only run in a renderer so poorly implemented that it lags like a 286 on even a brand new Crysis-capable PC.

Oh, wait.

Gez said:

No "The Sky May Be" for poor old crazy Jive?

And Engineer, on that note. Bit surprised not to see it, though its absence isn't a grievous sin or anything.

I'm honored. :) Thanks a lot, you guys, and congrats to the rest of the winners! Here's to another year of great releases. :D

Congrats to the winners, i would of had eternal's wad (Voodoo Guns) get a cacoward instead of the vaporware demo (Since it is just a demo) but thats just my opinion.
Special grats for brutal doom winning the first Best Gameplay Wad award :P

Nice read. It's been a while since I got stuck into playing modern wads. I spend whatever little time I have mapping or playtesting.

When I finish my current obligations I'm going to have a hiatus from mapping and instead spend most of 2012 playing all the big releases so I can properly appreciate next year's award. Or post sulky comments if I don't like the honoured maps.

vinnie245 said:

Congrats to the winners, i would of had eternal's wad (Voodoo Guns) get a cacoward instead of the vaporware demo (Since it is just a demo) but thats just my opinion.

Yeah now that I actually think about it, I tend to agree here, it is an amazing map and shows a lot of promise for a great megawad, but when the full version of Vaporware comes out it will get a cacoward anyway, so awarding a project in it's demo stages and awarding it in it's completion stages kinda makes me feel as if another project could have gotten a mention as well instead of the same project twice.