Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Brutal Doom version 18a

Platinum Shell said:

Hey Mark IV, I think I have a pretty good idea for another separate module.

Basically, when DooMGuy's health reaches critical levels, he starts to slow down. I tested and found that it seems to work best when his turbo is set to 60-70 when he's bleeding. It would not only add more depth to the game, but would add more challenge, and serve as a reminder for the player to get more health. Plus, you've also made a few sprites for the DooMGuy when bleeding (along with your other good spritework), so going into chasecam and seeing his slowed speed along with him bleeding and limping would actually be pretty neat to see. (ignore my fascination with dark things).

Combine this with the health regeneration module and it would make a good combo. Again, just a suggestion.

An earlier version (I think 0.9 or 0.10) had the low health slowdown but it can impede gameplay, especially when you need to make a jump that only a full speed running can bypass.

Mr. Chris said:

An earlier version (I think 0.9 or 0.10) had the low health slowdown but it can impede gameplay, especially when you need to make a jump that only a full speed running can bypass.

But still, it would still make a good seperate module. I can play the DooM games with no jumping.

I hope the next version gets rid of the red blood flash when enemy blood hits the screen. The actual blood dripping on the screen is wicked awesome, but the red flash is disorienting because you're like "Shit, I'm hit," but then you realize you aren't.

Maybe a tiny addon for the low health slowdown might be best since many didn't like the inclusion in an earlier version.

Bah. Leave the low-health slowdown out. The player is already in trouble enough by having low health. There's no need to add insult to injury (and make things infinitely less fun) in the process.

The "Runhealth" property is among the most foul scourge that resides in the ranks of ZDoom's featureset. If Strife didn't need it I'd rail against it to the soggy grave.

I tend to like the aesthetic modifications more than the gameplay enhancements in Brutal Doom. But it is awesome as a package, the best gameplay mod I've played.

If we're playing wishlists, I think it would be cool for the monster to have visibly gradual damage. Bloody bullet holes and exposed muscle or skeleton after the monster has lost say 50% of it's HP would be cool. Lost limbs would be cooler, but would potentially have gameplay implications depending on the monster.

Well, I've been playing this for quite a while, and needless to say, this is the finest Doom mod I've come across since Immoral Conduct.

Some quirks I've came across:

1) Putting down a barrel in certain areas (such as a wall) will cause the barrel to disappear.

2) The Heavy Weapon Dude does NOT drop his Minigun after being gibbed with the fists (while you're berserk) in Smash mode. Also, why doesn't he infight with the other Heavy Weapon Dudes? :S

3) The MP-40 reloads upon selection, and you can reload it infinitely.

4) The possessed SS doesn't seem to work correctly. He looks like he's dancing while the casing is coming out of his side (This occurs when the -fast parameter is used).

5) In Smash Mode, you'll attack immediately with your fists upon selection. It won't show the fists, but if you're standing close to your enemy, he'll be hit as if nothing happened (HAY EVERYONE I'M A INVISIBLE HEH)

6) Grabbing an Imp whose head and arm is severed gives you the Shotgun Guy, not the Imp.

(I'm playing the GZDoom version by the way)

I'd personally like the slowdown module as I feel it would help balance the Marine; to me, honest and truthfully, he seems a bit OP, and a tiny little module such as that would help balance it out.

I understand if you don't wish to implement it, but if you do, thank you very much. It's greatly appreciated.

Mr. Chris said:

Congratulations for winning this year's Cacoward for Best Gameplay Mod.

I would like to join in congratulating you!
You really did put a lot of work into it... and it shows.

Thirded. This kind of mod is exactly the kind of shot in the arm that Doom deserves; a great way to make a good old game fresh mechanically and visually. Well done.

Mark has really earned this award. I mean he works like a robot, non stop to make Brutaldoom just as good as we expect it to. Congrats Mark!

Hello,
first of all thank you very much for your work. I've got a lot of fun using your mod.
There are some things that could make it even better:
1)A more powerful SSG
2)A more powerful Rocket Launcher
3)The display of the bullets remaining in the current clip
4)The removal of a bug in the Shotgun reload animation. It happend to me that afer a sequence of continous shots (keeping pressed the fire button) the reloading sequence was played every two shots.
Bye
John

The SSG and Rocket Launcher are already powerful enough as they are. Why fix what isn't broken?

BrutalDoom is really awesome. However my netbook can't keep up with all the gore is it possible to make the gore a bit lighter? would help tremendously on the performance on slower computers i guess.

However its a really great experience i am quite amazed by the vision you guys have for Doom. Its amazing that even 18 years and people are still playing loving and making stuff for Doom is guess that shows that good games will never die. Doom is a good game still today. and now with BrutalDoom i even think it beats every single thing i thought Serious Sam 3 did better :D

webcider said:

...my netbook can't keep up with all the gore is it possible to make the gore a bit lighter?

There is a lite version available at the ZDoom forums, if it makes any difference...

EDIT:

In the first post, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

- If your framerate is low, type "gl_use_models 0" to hide the bloodpool 3D models. This helps a lot on old computers.

HavoX said:

The SSG and Rocket Launcher are already powerful enough as they are. Why fix what isn't broken?

As to the SSG, you're right. Now I've understood how to use it. Almost as a melee attack.

Exactly; it's best for close-range combat. ;) Not to mention the fact that just in real life, it should suffer poor accuracy from long distance, because the SSG is a sawed-off double-barreled shotgun.

Tweaking it to make it stronger would give the player an unfair advantage.

Thx havox for the response:

I got one minor issue the fix that is decribed, doesn't work with GZdoom
and thats the one i am using. Should i change source port to something lighter perhaps?? I really like the lightning the OpenGL gives makes it kind of nice in dark places to be able to spot armor and health :D

just for your information i can't get this to work at all in the console

GL_USE_Model "0"

----

Also in reference to the suggestion of using the Lite version...

Light version is not that good i don't like it because i can't use the new weapons which is really awesome.

webcider said:

GL_USE_Model "0"

Have you tried typing it in without the quotes?

webcider said:

I got one minor issue the fix that is decribed, doesn't work with GZdoom and thats the one i am using. Should i change source port to something lighter perhaps?? I really like the lightning the OpenGL gives makes it kind of nice in dark places to be able to spot armor and health :D

I'm sorry.

But Brutal Doom was made for GZDoom and Skulltag, which have OpenGL. Other than the advice I gave you, you might want to invest on a powerful PC if your netbook can't handle it. :P

<quote> :I'm sorry.

But Brutal Doom was made for GZDoom and Skulltag, which have OpenGL. Other than the advice I gave you, you might want to invest on a powerful PC if your netbook can't handle it. :P
<quote />

You know how i can seek for commands by pressing double tabbing TAB key
in console ? i did that in any step to see if i could find the way to do it

I did try both with and without the "" i also tried False/True.

Sergeant, I have another bug for you. This one will be hard to solve I think.

So I'm playing Plutonia 2 map 02 on HMP. At the start, I'm already in a huge fire/projectile fight, so I continuously hold down fire. I run over an enemy dropped berserk that I think came from an imp. Once gotten, I punched a zombieman and the fatality executed. However, it didn't end there. It did the weirdest thing. It then executed an imp fatality. There were no imps in my area, all dead. And this happened immideatly after the zombieman fatality. I gained health for the imp fatality, but I'm 80% sure I did not for the zombie one. The animation showed allright. The gore appeared and the imp in the animation appeared as well. I am absolutely certain I can't recreate this, I tried to do it after a good amount.

There is an odd co-op multiplayer bug involving shooting monster corpses which make the player hurt noise (same applies with getting bled on and shooting one), and among other things like minigun'd smaller monsters fall down almost instantly instead of going through with their animation.

Edit: I believe what some Skulltaggers are saying the pain noise corpse bug is a Skulltag bug.

johnfulgor said:

4)The removal of a bug in the Shotgun reload animation. It happend to me that afer a sequence of continous shots (keeping pressed the fire button) the reloading sequence was played every two shots.

I can confirm that this is a bug/issue.

webcider said:

GL_USE_Model "0"

That command doesn't exist, apparently.

Bloodite Krypto said:

That command doesn't exist, apparently.

I found out the command works in Skulltag its not working in GZdoom so yeah your probably right.

But thx for the help Havox i don't mind the slowdowns i just look forward to get my screen back Samsung S27a950d so i can game on my stationary again, and yeah Doom looks on a 27" screen amazing pixel art i must say.

Hello,
I've played some other maps with your mod, hosting some revenants. Well, I missed the original revenant tracer: something you can notice that it is following you and you can attract toward a wall or pillar to get rid of it. Now the revenant missiles are too similar to rockets, and this aspect of gameplay is lost.
John