Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Z86

Particle Fire Enhancer Mod (v0.8) for GZDoom

This is an effect mod that keeps the vanilla gameplay intact, but enhances visuals and sound.
Started as a concept project to integrate the Stronghold torches into vanilla doom and doom2, then expanded to fire projectiles and other effects, and now it is a full blown enchancer mod not unlike Beautiful Doom, except the good ol' vanilla gameplay is fully retained.

Intended to be used on modern PC-s to replay classic wads that are close to vanilla.

Recommended port is GZDoom, needed for light definitions, 32bit png-s, and brightmaps.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gf11323r2s132bu

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/j0UzX2zoZy/pfenhv0-8.zip
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FGKU5J7O

Screenshots from 0.8:

Credits:

Idea Base:
- Stronghold's Torch Effects
- Beautiful Doom Mod
- Some effects from Aeons of Death
- WildWeasel's Diaz Mod (effects, some decorate solutions)
- Enhancer packs for quake (i thought doom also deserves particle based fire mods)

Resources Based on:
UTNT Flames and embers - SolarSnowFall
Stronghold Torches - Stronghold Team (Keksdose did the flames IIRC)
Nash Gore Effects - Nash
Smooth Weapon animations - Perkristian
A few extra animations and giblets - Beautiful Doom
Alternate XDeaths - Zero Prophet's Zero Tolerance
Alternate Deaths - ItsNatureToDie/David G
Barrel remains - Xaser
Splash sounds and definitions - Enjay
Skulltag Hi-Res Items - Skulltag Team
Smoke Effects - Unknown (gathered from Weapons Resource Wad)
Most sounds - Id Software, Raven Software (Doom 3, Quake 4)
Plasma and BFG Explosions - Wirehead Studios (Generations Arena) and some frames from jDRP
Explosions, Special Effects sprites and Casings - from Aeons of Death (the "Half-Life" explosions, and the "Lightning Ball" explosion)

Looks like fun!

I'm also gonna pimp this mod out on some of my videos on my Youtube channel when I play some PWADs.

While doing a Let's Play of UD using this mod, I noticed that the Zombieman's pain sounds and active sounds are the same because of the coding in the SNDINFO lump. They're supposed to be different, but part of the code for the Active sounds are the same for the Pain sounds, so instead of playing the Active lumps, it plays the Pain lumps. Other than that, all seems to be good.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

Primeval is doing a Let's Play of Ultimate Doom using the mod, so you can take a look at that.

got a link? I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

***nevermind. Found it. Thanks.

Is there a version of this with just the lighting effects? One than can be easily used with other wads. The lighting effects look great, but I don't care much for a few of the other things like the sound effects. I prefer the psx sounds personally.

This is my favorite enhancement mod by far. Surprised it hasn't gotten more attention here. I only wish I had a compatibility list for pwads so I know which ones not to use this mod with. But the ReadMe did imply they should be "vanilla-ish" otherwise I've gotten some strange results with partial TCs like S.T.R.A.I.N. The most useful part of this mod for me is causing all humanoid monsters' eyes to glow, extremely helpful when you're blasting baddies in a near pitch dark room in GZDoom. I only wish there was a version for GLBoom since I've been using that source port a lot lately.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Is there a version of this with just the lighting effects? One than can be easily used with other wads. The lighting effects look great, but I don't care much for a few of the other things like the sound effects. I prefer the psx sounds personally.

You can use Slade 3 to edit out the sounds. The torch sounds were driving me crazy so that's what I ended up doing. Just be sure to use it for your own personal use and don't distribute it. Personally, most of the new sounds don't bother me. Even prefer them to the originals, especially on some of the monsters. I miss the Baron of Hell's warcry though.

Hate to bump, but is this still being worked on? Would be nice to see an update for it. At least have the Zombieman sounds fixed, though I can do that myself.