Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

xit-vono said:

I don't intend to give this any more tries in the near future as I still expect map08 to be difficult, so I will attempt some other things. Most likely I'll go back to rn14 attempts, but if I feel like trying something different, I may attempt 11-20 nighmare secrets, or a nightmare secrets on map02, either by itself or as part of a movie.

I suggest you should fill up some of the -respawn tables as well. Since you've made a lot of NM runs for certain levels without those holes filled, they should be easier. Good examples of these levels that you could do are ar22, ar31, rr22, rr23 and m216r. Since you have already done these levels on NM with 100% kills and secrets, it should be easier and shorter here since you don't have to worry about fast monsters.

Xit, do you like ICARUS.wad? There is 4 undone NMs: 01, 11, 20 and 29. They should present a good challenge. :)

2011 summary

# 156(%) single-player demos recorded in 2011
      29 of them were for IWADs, 
     127 demos were for PWADs.

(%)I didn't include Xit's tn movies, didn't expect this partial movie category, there were 4 of them I think...
The stats begin with cf22-502, end with mm23f906.

# Demos by WAD:
     Ultimate DOOM       -  1 demo (5 in 2010)
     DOOM II             - 10      (6)
     Evilution           -  6      (4)
     Plutonia            - 12     (16)
     AV                  - 32     (24)
     Classic Episode     -  5      (1)
     HR                  - 12      (9)
     MM                  - 32     (20)
     MM2                 - 30     (78)
     Requiem             - 16     (24)

# Category breakdown(*):
     UV Speeds           -  9     (23 in 2010)
     UV Maxes            - 18     (35)
     Nightmares combined - 25     (27)
     UV -fasts           - 47     (63)
     Respawns            - 28     (14)
     Pacifists           -  7      (8)
     Tysons              - 13      (9)
     Movies              -  9      (8)
(*) Double entries - Speed/Pacifist count as Pacifists

# Demo activity by month(**):
     Jan / Feb / Mar / Apr / May / Jun / Jul / Aug / Sep / Oct / Nov / Dec
      18 /  19 /   6 /  17 /   8 /  11 /   7 /  13 / 15  / 14  /  11  /  17
(**) A demo recorded e.g. in Feb posted in Apr counts as April; demos recorded before 2011 do not count (yep, Istvan :) )

# Full list of participants:
    (in parentheses - debut year)
     Ryback            (1999)
     Altima            (2001)
     xit-vono          (2001)
     Eugene            (2003)
     Hitherto          (2007)
     JCD               (2008)
     tatsurd-cacocaco  (2008)
     Archy             (2009)
     kimo_xvirus       (2009)
     vdgg              (2009)
     Paska             (2010)
     Revved            (2010)
     Kyle McAwesome    (2011)

# Out of these 13 participants, the most active players were (Top five):
     Revved           - 58 demos
     vdgg             - 32
     Paska            - 15
     tatsurd-cacocaco - 12
     xit-vono         - 11

# Shortest demo: 4 seconds (Paska, Plutonia MAP21 and Kimo, HR MAP26).
# Longest demo: 1 hour, 46 minutes (Revved, MM 2nd episode)

# Coop demos: none

Altima said:

Alien Vendetta
NM-Speed and NM100S
Map29 in 2:57

Nice to see theres still people submitting demos to this thread, altho I cant say I'm able to enjoy Kimo's recordbeaters since they might as well be cheated as far as I'm conserned. When a player openly admits to cheating, there should be alot of skeptics involved when short "optimized" runs occour down the road, regardless. Not great...

That aside...

Picked up doom after 5 years of inactivity cus of Altimas entertaining run on av29. At first glance I was wondering why he managed to avoid all the spawning traps (thus making the map far more surivable on Nightmare - but its completely doable in either case, just more of a pain in the ass with the traps activated). I had a look in the editor and realized one need to straferun over the linedef in the red cave where you find the SSG, since the monsterspawns are connected to that area. Its an easy linedef to pass with dooms quirks, 1 outta 10 tries usually gets it, sr50 is helpfull but not needed.

The rest of the map is fairly easy, this 2:20 required very little effort, but at least its below the 2:30 mark Altima mentioned in the txt, and its a nice round number. I'll leave the polished run for someone else, now that we know how to replicate the trapdodge (how about it altima, 1:59 next?)

Meanwhile I'll holster the bfg and sneak back into retirement :}

a29ns220.zip

hey TOD :} No I havnt seen that, I've seen some of his other runs since I retired, and he's a top level player with lots of creativity. So I'd like to check it out :} Got a link?

Thanks Andy...

TimeOfDeath said:

Top of the page. It's basically a max, but the exit cyber killed him :( Would've been under 5 mins :)

I remember when I checked the time, I thought "It would have been 4:50" or maybe 4:51, so I played more. Aim was 4:49 but I had bought new computer, which just arrived and it felt really strange to play with, so I took a break (with nomonsters running :p) and lost interest. I didn't make successful demo (except low 5mins), but that map really taught me how to use BFG.

Thanks for hooking me up with a link TOD, nice attempt there, too bad the cyber had to get one in at the end, hehe...

Your bfg is probably one of your strongest points in my opinion, excellent understanding. The revenant cave was designed to be approached like that, and its neat to see it executed.

Awesome. :p Lots of retired guys appearing lately. I guess qaatar would have died from excitement. That is if he actually didn't disappear half a year ago.

Getting skeptical over possibly involved cheats would do nothing besides additional headache. I believe there is no way to verify if some TAS tools were used so it's all down to trust.

I agree, and when that trust is breached through cheating (discovered or admitted whats the difference...) there should be zero tolerance in regards to accepting new runs as records from the given player, in my opinion. Anything else is a slap in the face to someone who spent 50 hours on the "beaten" record.

Indeed, every demo posted in this thread is a mere Compet-n entry. Without any admins for Compet-n, there can be no official rulings on such things*. Who knows, maybe there would have been a decision to impose a lifetime ban on people who have cheated, or else a closer investigation into any new demos from them. Or maybe not.

j4rio said:

I believe there is no way to verify if some TAS tools were used so it's all down to trust.

Quite a lot of things are detectable, or can be shown to be so statistically improbable that a demo could not have been recorded normally.

* Well, if someone uploads demos that are shown to be against Demos Forum rules, we'll take appropriate action.

Well there was a case a good while ago when pretty much everyone accused a guy of cheating. But his runs were mostly around 20 or more minutes long. :p Despite that he recorded some mindblowing demos with ports that have no TAS tools invented for them or coop demos. I'm quite sure some guys around still believe okuplok's demos are cheated.

I'm sure kimo would be able to reproduce his demos while other people spectated (there are some ports that have such features, I think...). Or he could as well use a webcam or whatever to prove himself, but I trust everyone here so I don't really care at all.

Paska said:

I remember when I checked the time, I thought "It would have been 4:50" or maybe 4:51, so I played more. Aim was 4:49 but I had bought new computer, which just arrived and it felt really strange to play with, so I took a break (with nomonsters running :p) and lost interest. I didn't make successful demo (except low 5mins), but that map really taught me how to use BFG.

I also watched your "maxkill with a failed exit", and, seriously, it's one of the most impressive maxes I have ever seen, with thoroughly optimized weapon damage distribution almost all the way through. It's just what I call "modern-class perfectionism", as I doubt if anyone could push it below 5:00 before 2010 :-)

Though you could get even under 4:40 with quicker ways of killing some of the monster groups (like two PEs and the following imps).

Its a nice attempt indeed, but theres still quite a bit of room for improvement :) Im sure paska could make a successfull exit here well below 5 minutes.

I belive theres at least 10 players who could have broken 5 minutes on this one even back in 2003. Thats the beauty and the bitch of maxkills, they are virtually impossible to optimize.

Well, tatsurd is probably trying it by now. He is crazy so below 5 is guaranteed to appear within some time. :P

Andy Johnsen said:

I belive theres at least 10 players who could have broken 5 minutes on this one even back in 2003.

Well, already in 2003 there were some Doom Gods strong enough to break the 5:00 mark in theory, but at that time they didn't know many of the modern optimization methods (which are needed for getting such low times). Even the famous 2-shot cyber killing method (which was seen already in Yashar's PL31-425) wasn't used by leading slaughter players like Vile. You can see that Vile's last few demos (done in 2010-2012, starting from SC23-134 and ending with PL32-306) are done with a higher skill level (both in terms of movement smartness and strategic knowledges) than his older demos.

Killing cyberdemons with two bfg shots was a known trick at compet-n many years prior to it being utilized in maxkills. The early plutonia map32 maxkills utilize it, but so does a number of other runs I've seen through the years. Thats not new knowledge at all - and the way its used in the av29 attempt is pretty much old standard. The fact that more players are using it now just means its more established in my opinion.

Theres nothing groundbreaking in this demo, its just a skilled performance from a stx-vile caliber player, but you can track even better runs many years back in time from various players. I dont think theres been a revolution the past year or two :) I think I could beat this run if I spent some hours on it tonight, and I havnt updated anything since 2003... :)

For some reason, I can't seem to open the zip containing Andy's demo, but I can open everything else I've come across so far. Any ideas?