Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

List of Doom Graphics' bugs

I'm working on a personal project of mine to fix any errors in Doom's graphics lumps, such as patches, sprites, and other stuff. Briefly describe any weird oddities in the IWAD's lumps (that can be fixed), and state which lumps are affected by it. List all the little things that bug you such as:

Fuzzy Shotgun Flash - strange pink border around shotgun and super shotgun muzzle flash (SHTFxO, and SHT2x0)

Chaingunner's 8th angle shooting frame twitch - Chaingunner twitches while shooting from a certain angle due to incorrect offsets (CPOSE8 and CPOSF8)

Stray pixel in Revenant punching frame - In one of the revenant's punching frames, there's a stray white dot floating around (SKELI7)

I know there's more, I've seen the lost soul twitch in one of it's attack frames. Also I think there's some stray transparent pixels in one of the skies and in a few of the TEKWALLs I think. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've heard that one of the Zombie man rear/diagonal back frames has a hole in its butt.

The guns of the Zombie man and Sergeant switch hands during their 6-8 frames due to them using the same sprites as 2-4 mirrored.

The diagonal back frames of the Lost Souls stationary/moving frames have a couple of pixels right at the top of the fire that don’t animate.

I'll also throw in a couple from Heretic: one of the back firing frames of the Were Dragon has a black line across the top row of pixels. Presumably as a result of someone shifting the top half of the graphic down a row at some point.

The Were Dragons final standard death frame has a floating pixel of blood.

Where do the lower arm's of D'sparils Serpent in Hertic go when he dies (maybe at one point Heretic was going to have the flying gibs of HeXen's Choas Serpent).

We should probably see something of D'sparil during his Serpents death frames; he seems to disapear from the graphic for the middle death frames.

Not strictly a graphical mistake as such, more a lack of continuality; the last frame of the Were Dragon's gib death appears to feature alot less gibs than the previous frames. Also the Ophidian's mouth is only open in its front facing walking frames.

40oz said:

Stray pixel in Revenant punching frame - In one of the revenant's punching frames, there's a stray white dot floating around (SKELI7)

Apparently it's actually 3 pixels.

The light brown pixel on the middle left of SHT2A0 bugs me. (If you zoom it up close, you'll understand what I'm talking about.)

Does this count?

Vermil said:

I've heard that one of the Zombie man rear/diagonal back frames has a hole in its butt.

I'd think it would be extremely frustrating for anyone not to have that.

Two pixels are transparent instead of being color #255 in the Doom II city sky. (See eleventh post here.)

The Wolf SS has some magenta pixels showing in a few of its frames, namely SSWVB4 and SSWVF0. It's also lacking rotations for the attack frames.

Zombiemen do not have their attack frames (POSSF*) "brightened". This can be fixed with a dehacked patch if I'm not mistaken (add 32768 to the frame letter number, so instead of 5 for F it's 32773 for bright F). IIRC, the sergeants used to also have their SPOSF* frame not bright either, but this was fixed in a patch some time before 1.9. That same patch missed the troopers.

Vermil said:

Yep, POSSD4D6.

If you use SLADE 3, open a Doom IWAD, click on "Editor -> Preferences" and on the Graphics tab, use flashy contrasting colors for the transparent background -- e.g., bright yellow. Then look at that sprite. Easy to notice then. It was probably meant to be color #255, like for the city sky.

The Mancubus has a few stray pixels in his angled walking frames.

The SSG idle frame has a single annoying brown pixel on the left side.

Edit: Oh shit, nevermind. Apparently I'm not the only one annoyed by it.

Gez said:

Zombiemen do not have their attack frames (POSSF*) "brightened". This can be fixed with a dehacked patch if I'm not mistaken (add 32768 to the frame letter number, so instead of 5 for F it's 32773 for bright F). IIRC, the sergeants used to also have their SPOSF* frame not bright either, but this was fixed in a patch some time before 1.9. That same patch missed the troopers.

Are you sure it was simply forgotten? I've always thought that it makes sense, considering their weaker weapons. It also helps make them more stealth, especially when the player is deaf (sound effects off for any reason, including hearing impairment).

sw1/2dirt ... this switch texture uses different "brown" patches, and as a result, the "brown" area "moves" when the switch is activated.

If nukepois is on the left and nukedge1 is on the right, they will not tile correctly - "bad" patch use in nukedge1.

When the Baron/Hell Knight plasma fireball explodes, the explosion sprites' offsets are significantly lower than the flying fireball's were, so the location of the explosion doesn't match the trajectory.

Also, the Cyberdemon's attack frames are not bright either. CSonicGo complains about this all the time.

In addition, neither the Cyberdemon nor Spiderdemon are bright when they are exploding, even though explosions are generally known to give off light (and indeed the Pain Elemental is bright while exploding in a very similar manner).

Gez said:

The Wolf SS has some magenta pixels showing in a few of its frames, namely SSWVB4 and SSWVF0. It's also lacking rotations for the attack frames.

The lack of rotations cannot be "fixed" since they didn't exist in the original game. It would take a really great sprite artist to draw some new ones.

I've seen several sets. It's not that hard to do because it's a fairly static animation: the SS just stands there, and there's one version with muzzle flash and one without. You can base it on the SSWVE* set, which is the closest in posture to SSWVF0 and SSWVG0. Some tweaks to the legs and, mostly, to the arms and gun, using the zombieman sprite as a reference.

Isn't there one in at least one of the WolfenDOOM mods already?

Here's another one: in the barrel explosion frame that is obviously a scaled-down Cyberdemon dying, you can still make out the Cyberdemon's hooves near the bottom.

Quasar said:

Here's another one: in the barrel explosion frame that is obviously a scaled-down Cyberdemon dying, you can still make out the Cyberdemon's hooves near the bottom.

Pretty sure they've been masked to resemble debris.

Quasar said:

Really?! All these years of playing Doom and I've never noticed this...

You've got good eyes, my friend.

printz said:

Pretty sure they've been masked to resemble debris.

Kinda sorta. It is still obvious, though, once the sameness has been noticed.

- POSSG2G8 has a hole near the elbow
- POSSH0 has a hole in the chest, tho he was just shot and is dying, still looks odd
- POSSM0-POSSQ0 wobble around weirdly, same goes for the SPOS ones as well as the SSWV ones
- PAINF4F6 and F5 are higher than the other PAINF sprites
- Arachnatron has a bunch of holes. BSPIA3A7, A4A6, B1E1, C2C8, C3C7, D3D7, D4D6, F3F7, H1, I6, I7
- I dunno, but that green blotch on the ROCKA0 sprite always bothered me

I guess this is enough for now :o

The Lost Soul death frame SkulH0 has some holes that seem unnatural, I'd think fire would block the view.

I've wanted to raise a bunch of monster and item sprites to put their feet more above the floor than below, to see the effect of the OpenGL clipping fix in vanilla doom, though that's probably not in the scope of this.

This isn't a graphics bug per-se, but the last SSG muzzle flash frame is displayed too long (it is still displayed when the player breaks the barrels).

Gez said:

The Wolf SS has some magenta pixels showing in a few of its frames, namely SSWVB4 and SSWVF0.

Sometimes it's not so easy to keep da zipper on place whilst fighting.

The hooves of the Hellknight are grey as opposed to brown on one of the rotation sets when he attacks. I think the BOS2F ones.

Also one deathframe has a weird red 2 pixel blob where it looks like the blood was red and not green. This is in both Hellknight and Baron.

Use3D said:

The Mancubus has a few stray pixels in his angled walking frames.

What frames? The only stray pixels I've ever seen in the mancubus was in FATTJ4 and FATTJ6