Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #76

The rabbit didn't forget to drop two shiny new Easter eggs in our laps, as we salute yet another week of contributions to the Doom WAD archive, and where they are first spotted, Newstuff.

• Act9 by Harry Daalmeijer - - One single-player map for Doom 2. It doesn't have much of a story, or a theme. It's a medium sized map, with a good challenge. Ammo is plentiful, but health is very hard to come by. It has an odd combination of textures, lots of misalignments, and not all that much detail. However, it does have some special effects such as underwater, surveillance cameras, and a mirror. It has a quaint music replacement as well. Requires ZDoom.

• Europa 3 - The Dark Side Of Vrack by Erik Alm - - Here it is, an incredibly amazing map for Doom 2. This map is absolutely huge, has lots of monsters, and provides a great challenge. Themed as somewhat of a dark brown metal space storage base, this level pushes the limits of the Doom engine. Lots of cramped indoor areas, wide outdoor areas, and bosses to finish the map with. As bonuses, this WAD contains a starry sky replacement, and a very good music replacement. Enhanced DOOM port required.

OH GN0 ERIK IS ON VRACK!!@$@#$@$

Too bad I'll never be able to play that level :(

Bah, there are 2 very ugly texture errors in europa3 which I didn't discover until after I had uploaded (a misalignment in the plasma room and a faulty texture in the yellow key room).

Europa 4 will be made in hub form for zdoom to allow a lot more detail and a larger map.

erik.... ditch zdoom and hack prboom and deth to support more lines/segs/whatever......

Originally posted by schepe
erik.... ditch zdoom and hack prboom and deth to support more lines/segs/whatever......

yeah that sounds real easy...

The first of the Vrack: Attack of the Clones wads is here, and it's awesome.

Excellent work, Erik :)

Excellent work!!!

Erik, I don't know how you built such a large map in just 4 days.

This would be the best place to post my question.

Does doomworld have one of the following:

- A news archive

or

- An archive of the /newstuff chronicles

??

And to keep it on topic, I'll try to play the #76 levels today.

Fun,fun,fun.I just love all that metal!Loadsa great detail,some slowdown even on a fast machine but a great play.But I wouldn't say it was huge.4 days?That's some goin'!

Too bad there isn't an OpenGl freindly version of Europa, you can tell it'd look very cool.