Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
I got few questions regarding standalone.

Okay what if I made a mod that could be standalone and not require any IWADs to play.

Would I be able to:
1) Modify the gzdoom source (it's based off that) to support only that mod without breaking licenses (and how, by crediting the authors and making the source code public?)
2) Distribute it commercially (I don't intend to, but it's a question somebody would eventually ask)

That's it. Thanks in advance for the answer.

alterworldruler said:

Okay what if I made a mod that could be standalone and not require any IWADs to play.

Would I be able to:
1) Modify the gzdoom source (it's based off that) to support only that mod without breaking licenses (and how, by crediting the authors and making the source code public?)
2) Distribute it commercially (I don't intend to, but it's a question somebody would eventually ask)

That's it. Thanks in advance for the answer.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/License
1) Yes. Nothing particular in the licenses mandate that derived works you make with the code have to run Doom.
2) No. The Doom License forbids commercial gain.

If you want to be able to sell your work, use a GPL port.

alterworldruler said:

Modifying the source for this reason is discouraged. First I should mention that modifying the zdoom.pk3 file should be sufficient to add a new iwad (though -iwad will always work). Once you're done with the mod though, we usually will accept feature suggestions to have the iwad listed by (G)ZDoom.

It's also worth noting that you could sell the mod if you used a port under the GPL, which is pretty much everything but zdoom and derived ports. Then you would be required to release the source modifications to the engine in question, though.

MP2E said:

It's also worth noting that you could sell the mod if you used a port under the GPL, which is pretty much everything but zdoom and derived ports. Then you would be required to release the source modifications to the engine in question, though.

I guess that the resources can be safely kept commercial?

But what if someone with programming skills makes a fork from your commercially distributed program source code, and gives it away for free?

Blzut3 said:

Modifying the source for this reason is discouraged. First I should mention that modifying the zdoom.pk3 file should be sufficient to add a new iwad (though -iwad will always work). Once you're done with the mod though, we usually will accept feature suggestions to have the iwad listed by (G)ZDoom.

The problem is, my "IWAD" has multiple files, how would I go adding that in iwadinfo.txt?

Gez said:

Why can't you merge them all in one?

The PK3 would be too cluttered, anyway I got it working. However I get this error with too big number of lumps, any idea? W_OpenLumpNum: 4294967295 >= NumLumps

Here's the log:
http://pastebin.com/CLVg3Bp8

How would I fix that? I don't understand these script errors

EDIT: As I said, the data is scattered among various wads and they are defined in iwadinfo.

If it's cluttered, organize! You can use an infinity of subdirectories.

printz said:

But what if someone with programming skills makes a fork from your commercially distributed program source code, and gives it away for free?

Pretty much totally unimportant. The thing he'd mainly be selling and making money on is the actual game, not the engine. Nobody will be able to take his WAD/PK3/whatever and legally distribute it unless given explicit permission. A GPL engine, on the other hand, would allow other people to redistribute it, improve it, port it, etc (in fact I would highly recommend that he just puts the source code (and maybe binaries) up for free on a web site...).

alterworldruler said:

Here's the log:
http://pastebin.com/CLVg3Bp8

How would I fix that? I don't understand these script errors

Here's the answer:

EDIT: As I said, the data is scattered among various wads and they are defined in iwadinfo.

Obviously your project is too disorganized. The errors are 100% clear though. If it says 'xyz is missing' then make sure you add it.