• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MRB_Doom

Russia launches probe to Mars moon

Maes said:

Damn. All that stuff for nothing?!

Wrong Jesus.

It's Blond Aryan WASP Jesus you want. Any other sort of Jesus is blasphemy, heresy, and devil idolatry. Remember, God hates fags, liberals, scientists, communists, and any other sort of smarty-pants!

So, two more days to try to make it work. I hope they'll manage to get it working in time.

Basically, a daring Russian mission to fly an unmanned probe to Phobos, a moon of Mars, and fly samples of its soil back to Earth was derailed right after its launch by equipment failure.

The Phobos-Grunt (Phobos-Soil) craft was successfully launched by a Zenit-2 booster rocket at 12:16 a.m. Moscow time Wednesday (2016 GMT Tuesday) from the Russian-leased Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan. It separated from the booster about 11 minutes later and was to fire its engines twice to set out on its path to the Red Planet, but it never did.

I don't think it's electrostatic failure.... I think something wants us to stay away from Phobos.

Joke aside, did the massive reserve of highly-toxic fuel that was on the probe burn in the atmosphere, or did the reservoir fall mostly intact in the ocean? We don't really need more pollution...

Gez said:

Joke aside, did the massive reserve of highly-toxic fuel that was on the probe burn in the atmosphere, or did the reservoir fall mostly intact in the ocean? We don't really need more pollution...

"7 tons of plutonium-laced fuel" sounds really unpleasant and not something you'd want falling on top of a school or something. But if it fell in the middle of the ocean wouldn't it just be diluted by millions of tons of water?

Gez said:

Reminds me of the old joke about writing on paper in space. "NASA invested millions of dollars into engineering a pen that could work in micro-gravity. The Russians used pencils." (For the non-joke version, see here.)

Didn't catch this before the bump but you do know that is just an urban legend right? I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

DoomUK said:

"7 tons of plutonium-laced fuel" sounds really unpleasant and not something you'd want falling on top of a school or something. But if it fell in the middle of the ocean wouldn't it just be diluted by millions of tons of water?

That argument may sound valid when talking about one isolated environmental hazard. But when you start adding up the accumulation of daily toxins being dumped in the oceans, 7 tonnes of weapons grade plutonium mixed fuels doesn't help matters any.

It doesn't help, but the pollution caused by any space program is insignificant next to its (potential) benefits.

Violator said:

Would be cool to see America do more of this shit, oh wait Obama destroyed the space programs

WTF are you talking about? America does do more of that shit. They do far, far more science missions than the Russians, and the American on es usually succeed! For example, they just launched this.

DuckReconMajor said:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Did you see the "for the non-joke version, look at this link where it explains it's not actually true" part?

Well that's kind of definitely not what you said. You said "non-joke version" which just means actual article instead of worded into a cute phrase/joke or something. And sometimes people don't even bother to read the entire article they post.

Violator said:

oh wait Obama destroyed the space programs

Obama may have...not done, or done many things, but he didn't 'destroy the space program'. He's simply following precedent. Do you expect any different? It's been a prolonged death sentence since before he came onto the scene. NASA has been being bleed dry since the Apollo 11 mission. Where once NASA's budget was around 5% of the federal budget, it has slowly trickled down to a measly 0.5% over the years.

I thought GW Bush dismantled America's space program? Not dismantled but pulled all of its funding.

Nah, Dubya merely modified the space program schedule. Basically, "let's not fund anything for now because we don't have money, but plan for Mars bases during my successors' terms, because that way I can get popular with the nerds right now and it'll be someone else's problem to explain that it's all canceled."

He did cancel the space shuttle program, though. Of course, these old birds were less and less reliable and Russian Soyuzes are a lot cheaper so it was all that was still used on a regular basis even before the decision to axe what was left of the shuttle fleet.

geo said:

I thought GW Bush dismantled America's space program? Not dismantled but pulled all of its funding.

NASA's budget has been slowly getting cut year by year since 1970. No one president has been at fault for 'dismantling' it. Funnily enough Bush 1.0 and 2.0 are the only 2 presidents that have increased NASA spending for a couple years, in 91, 92 and 08 iirc.

Gez said:

He did cancel the space shuttle program, though. Of course, these old birds were less and less reliable and Russian Soyuzes are a lot cheaper so it was all that was still used on a regular basis even before the decision to axe what was left of the shuttle fleet.

lol for my writing exit exam my subject was "the space shuttle program". So I looked up a bunch of stuff on why I agreed the space shuttle program should have been cancelled. Then my topic ends up being "explain why the space shuttle program was important in American history".

Basically every nerd ever generally figures NASA's existence is a rare instance of purely beneficial, noble, high ideals being put into motion by the government - forward-thinking driving of progress on the raw frontier of knowledge.

Actually it was established as a goldmine for military research and nationalistic propaganda purposes. We had to beat the USSR to the moon and be the first country to fire lasers at somebody from space. Don't forget the "Star Wars" program actually existed for a short time and was taken seriously by its proponents.

Now that there is no pressing concern about invasions from space by the Reds, who cares? Let it rot on the vine. Unless NASA finds a way to fight terrists, they're obsolete.

If anything Russia needs the space race because they're used to dead icy resourceless terrain.

geo said:

If anything Russia needs the space race because they're used to dead icy resourceless terrain.

Sure, you know except for vast oil and natural gas deposits.

Russia has them or Phobos? I think one of Jupiter's moons is nothing but methane. Perhaps Russia is going to Phobos to test portal technology?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csIJzQ6w2AU

Any thoughts on this proposal made by Russia?

I've heard about conspiracy theories that Mars already has a human population of about 670000 people. This theory was expressed by a so called "whistleblower", Henry Deacon, who has been interviewed by Project Camelot several times. Bullshit? I say yes. But who knows what kind of technology the U.S. has experimented with as of today.

Fuck... that's like how Doom had portals on Phobos and Diemos... why not start on Earth or space or the Moon before flying all the way out to Mars? What logic is there to fly out that far when there are closer things?

As for whistleblowers... I listen to Coast to Coast and I've never heard anything about people currently living on Mars. Who know it might be real, but if it is real then there are 2 million people on the moon already.

geo said:

Russia has them or Phobos?

Russia is one of the largest producers of both.

I think one of Jupiter's moons is nothing but methane.

No. In fact none of the galilean moons have much of an atmosphere of note really. However, titan, one of saturns moons, has a lake of liquid methane the size of lake superior.

Yep Titan that's it. My bad I thought it was Jupiter's moon.

I firmly believe that we will take a giant step from "Pimp my ride" to "Pimp my teleport" in a very near future. The powers that be cannot suppress inter dimensional travel forever. My most exciting present would be a device that allows me to open up a holographic portal in which the other side leads directly to a destination that can only be described as "beyond eternity and infinity". That to me would be the ultimate experience.