Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
z34chris

UDMF utility beta testing

I'm a bit surprised this doesn't get more comments.

Anyway, for testing ZDoom mods, I'd recommend things like TUTNT or Demon Eclipse.

I would like to continue work on this, but was wondering if someone would like to pick this up? Mostly, the only advantage this utility has, is that someone can create a non doombuilder map and still produce a UDMF wad with the related features albeit it being the hard way.

I am currently working on graphics and sound support for converted wad files. This means that while converting maps from the binary format to the universal format, additional data such as music, sounds and graphics will also be copied over so that the converted map will be fully functional. If you have any comments, you know what to do.

Just a pointer, I discovered recently that Plane_Align has a lineid parameter as well, so it should be handled like the handful of others that do. See ZDoom wiki for more information.

Completely missed this topic! This is a good utility. What is its current status? And can you host it in a more reliable place than this file upload website? I'm willing to add this on the Utilities page if you can find a better host.

Sorry for the late response: The current status is that it may need more beta testing, and more features need to be added. For the most part, it takes a standard doom wad and turns it into a UDMF one. I can put some time back into this if you are interested. From here, you know the drill.

Good that it has found a home, in a way.

Li'l snafu in the readme:

Version 0.3.2 beta August 30, 2009
what works:
*polyobjects

what may not work:
*zdoom specific stuff
*polyobjects
They work or they don't? ;)

Ill take a look :) run the zdoom demo wad through it. Its been a while since I updated this and do not know if it copies over the other lumps like graphics and music. That was the last thing I remember working on since I had most of the map converting taken care of. I need a new readme as well.

My future plans for the converter are to give it a graphical user interface in addition to the console interface mostly because I do not believe a lot of folks are up to using a console program :) I am also going to put some more work into the program so that 'everything' works instead of having 'most everything' working. If anyone has any ideas for the program, then send them my way.

Speaking of graphical interfaces... I'd like to include a map converter in SLADE3, so if you want we could try integrating yours. What do you think?

umm, maybe. lets talk more about this. going open source would help with bug fixes and such every time zdoom is updated. I don't intend on a flame war or anything erupting from that comment as I am only pointing out a fact of life when it comes to programming :)

I realise that the thread is old but, if bugs/comments are still required, this seems to be the best place to post.

On using Version 0.3.6 beta (which I *think* is the most recent) I noticed in a map that had been converted from a ZDoomHexen format map that a bunch of lines that used to be activated by shooting them had changed to the "player uses line" type of activation.

Has anyone tested this program under Windows 7? I need to figure out how to make an executable for Windows 7 if that becomes the case. Also, are gzdoom, or hexen or heretic maps working or not working? Have any other minor program errors turned up?