Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krispy

Has anyone done this?

Bruce Lee:

Used to think there was a way to jump over that thing on the top left, but no matter how many times I tried it didn't work. But the whole game is weird, and there are passages that "open up" later on, after you get through some other rooms and return to the start.

Maes said:

You actually kind of can -there's even a map that relies on you pushing barrels just enough so you can squeeze through without blowing everything up-, but it's a crapshoot: they might blow up in 4 hits, or in 1, depending on the whims of the RNG God (and that's without even a berserk pack). In any case we're talking about moving them a few units.

Haha, I didn't know about that map.

I used to try to jump out the window on e1m1 from the green armor pedestal. I was sure it must be possible, but no matter how many times I tried I would never go through the window. I finally gave up and decided the designers didn't want me to and I was sad.

EDIT: I also remember the box art of Doom Registered had a screenshot of Slough of Despair with the E1 sky, and I remember thinking.. "cool! finally a level you are outside among the mountains!" but was disappointed when I later learned the screenshot was deceptive.

In Dark Forces II on the Tower Level (Last Disc 1 Level) I used the fly cheat a number of times to see what's at the bottom of the tower, to see if it looks like the bottom from a few levels back.

Was disappointed to see that the base was no longer a fortress, but just a big cement circle surrounded by black stretch of red-dotted land. Heh.

Vermil said:

TBQH, that looks just like a level with a cyan ceiling and a grey floor. There's nothing suggesting that the ceiling is anything but, well, a ceiling, no hints of height differences/windows (not even a fake half-height wall or a billboarded outdoors, like e.g. on the first SoD map or after the battle with Hans Grosse), or even different ceiling/floor colors between different areas (was that even possible in the original engine?)

The tops of those rock wall textures are cyan if you look closely. It's easier to see in game than in that video though I admit.

Here you can see the rock wall texture used with a non-cyan ceiling to see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChmiRegWtxA

or even different ceiling/floor colors between different areas (was that even possible in the original engine?)

No it wasn't possible in the original Wolf3D/Spear of Destiny; one floor and one ceiling colour across the whole map. Hence why the Ramparts level in Spear of Destiny has a cyan ceiling in the indoor sections as well as the outside.

Wolf3D/Spear of Destiny mods have removed this limit though.

Hellbent said:

I used to try to jump out the window on e1m1 from the green armor pedestal. I was sure it must be possible, but no matter how many times I tried I would never go through the window.

Yeah, same thing here. It's that darn "block players" flag on those windows.

Krispy said:

Yeah, same thing here. It's that darn "block players" flag on those windows.

The funny thing is that in v1.1 there was also an incentive to try it: a stimpack just outside the S window.

Maes said:

TBQH, that looks just like a level with a cyan ceiling and a grey floor. There's nothing suggesting that the ceiling is anything but, well, a ceiling, no hints of height differences/windows (not even a fake half-height wall or a billboarded outdoors, like e.g. on the first SoD map or after the battle with Hans Grosse), or even different ceiling/floor colors between different areas (was that even possible in the original engine?)

I'm willing to bet you watched about 15 seconds of that video before drawing that conclusion. I only played through Spear of Destiny once, and given how far into the game that level is (each level is labeled "floor" so you're obviously getting to the top of something) my imagination led me to believe that that level was in fact a rooftop themed map. There's a stone wall sealing the outside, and the player runs around outside surrounding the brick castle part in the center, and theres a bunch of wooden sheds scattered around the outdoors. At first glance of a youtube video it's easy to dismiss it as just a cyan colored ceiling level, but I'm pretty sure the implied outdoors theme had to have been intended.

Nah, I skipped to random parts of the video too but still, no evidence. Even if they are using that "textures with cyan on top" trick, there's little evidence or contrasting with normal textures to make it evident. So perhaps if I have to try REALLY hard to see something, maybe it's not easy to see/not there at all?

Vermil said:

The Ramparts, Level17.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUApn7tMU-I

That said, there are many many Wolf3D and Spear mods that feature outside areas or maps.

Strange that they went with a darker cyan for the sky, instead of an actual sky blue. One of the Wolf3D maps used sky blue for its ceiling color and it always felt like an outdoor level to me, at least until you saw those green lamps handing from the sky, destroying the illusion.

Maes said:

Nah, I skipped to random parts of the video too but still, no evidence. Even if they are using that "textures with cyan on top" trick, there's little evidence or contrasting with normal textures to make it evident. So perhaps if I have to try REALLY hard to see something, maybe it's not easy to see/not there at all?

I was willing to suspend disbelief until... the lamps were hanging from the ceiling.

I somehow managed to 'get' exactly what Ramparts intended when first playing it, somehow. Dunno why.

@Danarchy: That is bloody amazingly epic. Good to see it's got a more "permanent" home than SA (cool as SA is :P ).

The first level of Doom 3 was interesting for me. Of course by the time that I played it I understood that game map sizes were limited, but I kept getting curious and using the noclip cheat to fly through windows and stuff to the areas I inexplicably wasn't allowed to enter. I also cheated and gave my self weapons to see what would happen if I killed the marines. They dissolved just like the demons. O_o

Unfortunately I didn't play a lot of video games before I was 13 so I don't have a lot of older memories. I do however remember Episode One of Doom being particularly good at convincing me that there was whole worlds beyond the edge of the map... I'm almost upset that I know all of the secrets now.

For some reason my best friend told me (this was around 1994-1995) that the gumball machine in the "Sonic the Hedgehog 3" special stage could eventually be emptied. When I used debug mode I spent awhile trying to empty it, only to eventually realize it was just a static image. I had another friend who told me there was a code that could turn the zombiemen in "Doom 64" into Barney the Dinosaur. I remember doing a lot of futile Internet searching in the late 90s with that one.

Danarchy said:

If anyone here has played a lot of Final Fantasy VI, you should read this:

http://lparchive.org/Breaking-Final-Fantasy-VI/

It's a long read but pretty amazing, and you might shit bricks at the end.

That is amazing, heh. Takes stuff like the Opera House glitch in the japanese version and boosts it to a whole new level. I'm amused.

On topic, I know there were some instances of me doing this in the past, but I can't recall where and when. To this day though I still tend to noclip around and explore the additional parts of levels you don't typically see in normal gameplay, heh.

Another thing I did in Doom was in the House of Pain (E3M4). The thing I did there was go into that room with all the bodies that was also filled with blood. The sector was unreachable, so I used the idclip cheat code to get in there.

I remember as kid, always wishing I could somehow explore the background tiles of the Sonic games. Seeing as the Genesis-era ones had lots of fancy parallax scrolling, it seemed really inviting.

Maes said:

You could actually do that in Test Drive 3 -not a 2D game,but still the amount of freedom it gave you was vastly larger than anything at the time, you could even drive inside a stable and take a look at the mess of polygons representing a cow :-p

Test Drive Offroad (the first one) was a lot of fun exploring the maps too! They actually put a lot of effort into putting fun little bumps to jump off of and nooks and crannies to find in that game.

I also used to try to get the pinky demons to instigate infighting, but that's impossible. I did however get them to follow me like dogs, attacking whatever tried to shoot me but ended up hitting them.

The game I would try to break as a kid was Monster Truck Madness. This was another racing game that encourages off-roading; the developers hid lots of alternate paths and other interesting things off of the main race track. I took it farther, though - if you kept driving away from the track you would eventually reach an infinite flat expanse of ground. I would use these Bonneville salt flats to test my truck's top speed before crashing back into the level geometry just to see what kind of air I could get. I would also spend hours at a time trying to activate a physics glitch I discovered: get yourself hit by another truck so that you start rolling over sideways, and there's a slim chance your momentum will multiply and you'll start soaring through the air at extreme speed, so high that the ground doesn't render.

Is that the game where you can run over the outhouses and if you press 'H' to get a helicopter to rescue you (and sometimes a pterodactyl would come instead)? I remember playing that game a lot even though I just had the demo with two trucks and one map. I did the same thing you did, gaining top speed on the flat plane around the track then ramping off the hills around the track.