Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Double Impact demos [-complevel 3]

DSDA page aka dbimpact // dbimpact.wad

dbimpact has great demo potential, the maps are open designed right from start and building routes isn't a trivial task. it's also quite tough for an ep1 replacement.

ultimate doom means "-complevel 3" should be used under prboom+.
i'm not sure vanilla exe won't bomb out occasionally.
i propose d1iX-123 naming convention, that shouldn't clash with anything, symbolizes the name and leaves space for possible sequels.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

here's a start, one of the tougher maps to complete (if you don't count maxing the supertroll m8, heh). not extremely optimized, careless mistakes here and there, plus totally caco-owned in chainsaw fights, but there's still quite a lot of effort behind it. :p

e1m9 uv max in 12:28

d1i9-1228.zip

Edited by Maribo

dew said:

i'm not sure vanilla exe won't bomb out occasionally.

The wad is described as needing a limit-removing port, so that's probably true. You could try using doom+, of course.

The naming convention you propose (but don't use!) sounds good to me. There are a small number of old DHT exam demos with similar names (e.g. d1i617.lmp, d1i49aw.lmp and d1i6-23.lmp), but no actual clashes.

Grazza said:

The naming convention you propose (but don't use!) sounds good to me.

yeah, i know. i rename all demos over 10:00, because without the dash they sort wrong in windows.

e1m5 uv-max in 5:49

i wanted to break 6 minutes and it got quite hard to even exit, rushing like this.

d1i5-549.zip

e1m6 uv-max in 8:58

the worst thing about this map is finding an efficient route that doesn't drive you mad with stragglers. glad i broke 9 minutes without much suffering.

d1i6-858.zip

I cant get these to work, i drag and drop DOOM.wad Doubleimpact and the Demo file into PrBoom but it just show people getting stuck behind walls and doing weird crap, im guessing its out of sync.

How do you guys play these?

Dragging and dropping doesn't work as a way to load an iwad, as it will be treated as a pwad. I guess that the way you are doing it, doom2.wad is used as the iwad, with doom.wad and dbimpact.wad used as pwads.

Please see the sticky threads in this forum for the basics of watching and recording demos. But the simplest is to use PrBoom+ (note the +; not the old PrBoom). Then if extended format has been used, you just need to click on the lmp file and have the necessary wads in the same directory as the lmp or the exe.

e1m2 uv-max in 5:36

one of the better demos from my "pack" so far. or should i say hard worked, the rocket use looks ridiculously panicky. the time is solid though.

d1i2-536.zip

e1m3 uv-max in 14:29

the start is brutal. no armor, very little health and enemies spread around. thanks to the map design it's possible to ignore them at first and then have them grouped in a corner nicely. even stragglers are rare... but this is still something i'm not used to do. too long and methodical. any of the long map fans wanna take my route and improve on it?

d1i3-1429.zip

Holy shit...can't believe I missed this.

UV Max demos from dew that are over 5 minutes in length...am I hallucinating? @#$#

:D

Qaatar said:

UV Max demos from dew that are over 5 minutes in length...am I hallucinating? @#$#

check this out then, you'll be tripping balls for weeks! e1m7 uv-max in 18:33! :p
it's nothing spectacular though, at least the last uv-max hole is filled.

d1i7-1833.zip

dew said:

You won't find any Devoresque elegance in motion here, but perhaps there are some fans of Klimesesque motion sickness inducing nervous rush and bucketloads of suicidal risking. :)

I really enjoyed your D1I2-521. It's aggressive, solid, and despite some nervous turns, its style looks more like the one of stx-Vile than the ones of some high-sens guys.

And while I like smoothness in Doom Speed Demos, I still primarily judge runs by their internal strength (speed, smartness, difficulty of improving by a serious margin), rather than by their cosmetic side.

thank you. there's obviously room for considerable improvement, but it won't come easily - many of the fights are very dynamic and take on-the-fly solution due to unpredictable monster migration and chaotic infighting. also it's very easy to lose a stray in that two-pronged corridor behind the YK door/leading to the RK room. it's annoying, but it's also what makes dbimpact maxes so much fun, hehe.

heh, that one spectre in the liteamp maze exactly states what dbimpact maxes are about... losing seconds while desperately looking for the last straggler.

also e1m3 uv-max in 11:46

d1i3-1146.zip

dew suggested that since he improved most of his old maxes for this wad, I could do the same. So here is e1m1 done 8 seconds faster than in my old demo.

d1i1-302.zip

nice one, it inspired me to finally sit down and run m7 for which i've been praciticing for a while. almost 2:30 improvement, still sucks as hell. :)

and that actually concludes my dbimpact crusade, i won't battle my m8 time cause that one's far too lucky, heh. i'll post youtube vids later.

d1i7-1607.zip