Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project - /idgames link is up

There aren't needed long or huge maps. Just make something "normal". Not epic and not ugly.

But this is your project, I just told my opinion.

I wonder why so few people are interested, that's extremely cool idea! I will try to send my map before end of that week. If there's something really special about my maps, it's that I'm making them really fast.

Im up for this... first new map since 2001! Where do I send the finished result, or do I just link it here?

Katamori said:

There aren't needed long or huge maps. Just make something "normal". Not epic and not ugly.

No, everyone will judge you on this map and this map alone. It will go on your permanent record, so it better be your magnum opus. First prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired, ie. banned to post hell for all eternity. This is a zero sum game and participation is mandatory. The main strategy will be pulling your competitors down rather than pulling yourself up. Good luck everyone, you'll need it. On your mark to start mapping... get set...g- EVERYONE ELSE STARTED 3 DAYS AGO! You'll never catch up now, oh no, hurry!!

TimeOfDeath said:

- ALL MAPS WILL BE ACCEPTED: that means serious maps, troll maps, joke maps, tiny maps, ugly maps, speedmaps, whatever. All you have to do is submit a map!

If no one is excluded how are people going to have hurted feelings? Or take their ball and go home? This kind of drama is what makes a wad good, not maps.

Here's my submission. Monster count: 1417. It's a simple map, not sure if it's too long though :P Going to post as candidate on SF2012 too. No difficulties or coop starts.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wz5vjvlpqh6cpwd

Don't know about complevels and stuff. It's played in limit removing using stock textures.

I'm in. I already have a map I was working on for some time, maybe I'll get creative thanks to the project and finish it.

Are custom textures allowed? Specifically talking about CC4 text pack.

Thanks for the maps, guys.
Rambosee, I'm sorry, no new textures please.

glenzinho, this is a doom2 project. A doom-style map is fine, but it should be in doom2 format. :)

Heh, I like this idea, even if it turns out 90% of the final maps will be crap. I'll promise I try to get something done. Maybe finish a map I've already started into a half decent if very short map.

TimeOfDeath said:

- any map format is allowed (maps will be separated into format-specific wads)

That's good, but:

- no new textures or flats or monsters or anything

... no thanks. Especially considering that it's for Doom 2.

Here's my first ever attempt at mapmaking. Feel free to slate this as much as you like :P
But hey it was fun to do this :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?55n71ul5m9lsf6a

I was going to write an amusing story for this but it's probably not worth it...... some of you could probably guess what I'm thinking from the wad name.
Note this should be vanilla compatible, but I can't guarantee it. I don't have my cd on me, vanilla doesn't work on my laptop and neither does dosbox :/

All in the first post, which I'm not sure how people keep missing.

//EDIT: Progress.
Pardon the detail rape, I have a rather annoying habit of throwing sectors around when I run out of ideas for the layout.

Good to see more interested mappers and screenshots and map submissions!

BloodyAcid - only one map per mapper, please.

printz - If there are many mappers, I don't want to have to add everyone's new textures to the same final wad. :) Could you make a doom1-style map with doom2 textures?

Krispy - This is for Doom2, and your map can be in any map format.

TimeOfDeath said:

glenzinho, this is a doom2 project. A doom-style map is fine, but it should be in doom2 format. :)

Should have read the first post properly :)

Here it is again, Blood Lake modified for Doom 2:

//EDIT updated 24th March, 2012

http://www.mediafire.com/?866t5gbfujgkd76

Once again, vanilla compatible, plays in MAP21 because I want a hellish sky for this.

I sat down and played through these:

MIRROR - (vanilla compatible) - Scypek2
sahkeh - (boom compatible) - walter confalonieri
bean - (vanilla compatible) - cannonball
GRBmaporgy1 - (limit-removing) - General Rainbow Bacon

All of them medium/small, though 2 out of 4 with cyberdemons... I liked MIRROR best, only would suggest fixing the arch-vile room (you may get stuck there forever). bean looks like an HR tribute, "needs height variation", the toughest and meanest of them four. sahkeh was disappointing, I mean a shotgun, plasma, 12 weak monsters and a cyber? GRB looked like an Ultimate Doom map at first (lost souls), then the author released some chaingunners which I didn't expect :-P I managed to die right after them. Pretty nice overall.

TimeOfDeath said:

- no new textures or flats or monsters or anything

What about scripted adaptations of existing monsters and pickups, if they're confined to the contributor's map?

My two cents on the maps presented here so far, played through in UV:

beans.wad:

Quite full on!!! Died a few times and had to end up saving room to room but it is finishable. Nice simple architecture and textures, suits this wad well... Just saw that this was author's first map ever.. Great job! Tough but possible.

GRBmaporgy1.wad:

Very Doomy, good quick fun! I had the chaingunner slaughtering the Baron at the end when I played, jolly good show!

MIRROR.wad:

Short and intense .. agree with vdgg about the Archvile room posted above, I noclipped out of there. I used jump on this level, is that intended or did I miss something? (Minor whinge: doortraks move with doors)

PRICKSv2.wad:

You're shitting me right? Someone show me a demo of this being done, there must be a trick to this one surely?

sahkeh.wad:

Great visual design, but seems very empty. I share vdgg's gameplay concerns, and the CyberDemon is no problem. It should be. The structure seems finished, but the level seems like it's waiting to be populated with something. Best of the architecture I've seen so far.

str1.wad:

Looks like a mini nuts.wad set in Tricks & Traps... Once again, can someone put a demo here so I can believe this can be done?

//EDIT I did eventually finish this, but I jumped twice to get over some Demons when I was trapped....