Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leon

Please test my WAD

Needs more medkits. And it's easy to get lost.
*edit- Nice to have a big city map. I like the amount of monsters and the use of graffiti.

Woah, awesome outdoors area. I love gloomy evenings and you've captured that atmosphere perfectly.

I think the switch that lowers the yellow key is too hard to find. And the blue key can be taken by simply pressing against the wall.

I didn't like the fights where you enter a big room full of different monsters and they all start killing each other.

Health balance was OK in my opinion.

There was a lot to like about this map. I really liked playing through this map. Gameplay was win all the way through, and health and ammo felt about right, except probably too much plasma.

The overall level design was really good too. Big open outdoors area mixed with dark interconnected hallways and rooms gave the gameplay a real boost. Some good secrets too.

I guess the biggest thing that needs work was just with general attention to detail. Examples:
-A few doors need their sides unpegging.
-Linedef 2491 had another linedef underneath it.
-Linedefs 3905 and 1094 were missing textures.
-LInedefs like 538 and 558 needed to be 64 units long so the textures aren't cut off. Especially seeing as they are door textures.
-Use the error checker (Assuming you used DoomBuilder) the default is F4. This would have given you a bunch of things to fix. Sectors not closed, and Linedefs overlapping, etc etc. Unfixed, these things gave many visual glitches to the level.
-Also this:

Jodwin said:

Try posting screenshots and mentioning which port and game the map is for.

But overall, this was a really good level. Gameplay and the look and feel of the level were spot on, and really captured that classic concept map feel. Just really paying attention to the little things will really add a big leap to your mapping.

Well it was of my school but I wanted to give it that Downtown feel from doom 2

P much what Jodwin said.

Anyway this was alright, I ran it in Skulltag which seemed to work OK (PRBoom+ & Eternity... didn't). The health balance was a little tight, esp. at the start when you're getting attacked from all directions, but it's definitely doable.
If you're going to use Skulltag/ZDoom can I suggest you create a MAPINFO that has 'nojump' or whatever it is written in it rather than lots of impassible linedefs in unlikely places? That is, assuming you're not allowed to jump, it's kind've hard to tell.

The WAD was too intense for me, but I like the MAP design and stuff. Your MAP is really huge as well, which tells me you worked hard to make it.

Thanks. I'm still working on it too. I'm trying to make it even creepier. So I may put it up soon again. Btw, who knows how you officially put it up on DoomWorld?

This was a pretty solid effort for a map from a relatively new designer, which I assume you are. It's not just room, door, room, door, forever and ever. The free roaming feel was nice, and the lighting was oftentimes interesting. Buttloads of secrets is always cool. I found this level to be super easy myself, even though I never found a super shotgun or plasma gun.

From a technical standpoint there was a lot wrong with it though. Instead of making walls the 'proper' way you just made sectors with the same floor and ceiling height. I'd really look at other maps and see how 1-sided linedefs are used for walls. It would be easy to alter in your map. If you are using Doom Builder, just delete the sections that have the same floor/ceiling heights, and add a midtexture to the walls.

I came across numerous visual errors using Zdoom. Sometimes the engine would even freak out and there would be random jumblings on the screen for half a second. Dunno if it's your map or the engine. Anyways, you have some good abstract level design ideas. From here I'd work on the basics like proper walls, sectors, linedefs, etc.

NT

Yeah I am a first time map creator. Yeah, I've noticed some minor freezes within ZDoom and I can't pinpoint why either

Yeah. Haha. I sort've feel that along the years Doom has become over shadowed by other games so I wanted to bring something new to it. I've also done more on it. So if anyone wants the later copy please email me:

rated_rko2009@hotmail.com

Yeah. I've now fully completed that level. I tried to make it creepier and think I have. Email me if you want it

Upload screenshots to https://imgur.com/ or some other. Copy the forum/BBCode links that they give you for each picture. It'll look like [IMG ]someurlhere[ /IMG].

Leon said:

Are people too lazy to just click on the link?

Well most people recognise mediafire as a download site rather than an image hosting site