Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

Still far behind j4rio's PrBoom-Plus HR06-327 but anyways, it's a valid COMPET-N entry so here you go:

Hell Revealed - Level Six - The Round Crossroads, done Ultra-Violence MAX in 3:48

Ahh, what a great way to start the week, with a C-N entry :)

hr06-348.zip

Hell Revealed - Level Six - The Round Crossroads, done Ultra-Violence FAST in 4:30

I wrote in my HF06-456.TXT file:
However, this run could still be improved by about 20 seconds if someone took the time to do it..."

Well 4:30 sure beats 4:56, God I've gotten better at Doom lately.

hf06-430.zip

nicely done vile :)
i watched it twice, cus I didnt notice the MM dying the first time. I wondered "when is he going to kill the spider?" and then I saw kill count on 70/70.. silly me ;)
have revs ever won the fight btw?

blob1024 said:

nicely done vile :)
i watched it twice, cus I didnt notice the MM dying the first time. I wondered "when is he going to kill the spider?" and then I saw kill count on 70/70.. silly me ;)
have revs ever won the fight btw?

Yeah they can, it's quite nice when they do. I imagine having that happen would shave off a few more seconds.

Neat.

Check map 16, that prboom demo by ... *censored* ... is sort of crappy. It would have been (be)low 2 by now if you had recorded it back then.
:S

The Plutonia Experiment
Map07 "Caughtyard"
UV-fast in 2:12

Yet another 15-year old record beaten.

In fact, this was the oldest in the old Compet-N database. Now that honor goes to... plt25-gm (pf25) if anyone dares to try to beat Demonlord's 7:30 on that.

pf07-212.zip

I am honored to be the first to download this, Altima. I wonder what record lasted for the longest time period. There's many decade old records but beyond that things start to get slim.

This is subjective but I wonder what's the oldest "hard to beat" record? Many of the COMPET-N entries form the 90's that still stand are relatively easy to beat, and I don't mean to insult any of the players who submitted those (as many of my records are in that category) but things have changed quite allot since then.

Anyways, I might try to improve this once I get some time. I've been studying for my End of Course Exams and the little free time I have I spend on my friends and poker buddies. Kinda killed my "C-N entry every other day" streak but it will be interesting to see how many I'll get this summer.

In my opinion, the three oldest "hard to beat" demos are going to be pl12, pl22, and pl25, hands down. Most of the others will eventually go down with time, but those three stand out the most of the list that I've compiled of all the UV-fast records that are from 1997 or earlier.

I agree with your note than Demonlord was "undoubtedly skilled beyond his years". Kai-Uwe's and Peo's times of glory came a bit later. For a player like myself it is conceivable to cut UV -fast times from fdgmdemo by 1/3 or a half... except Demonlord's :) He was more concious about which risks one could take and his demos are just very modern looking.

I would have to agree. Trying to beat Demonlord's plt16-gm was such a huge pain, since I couldn't just 'take my time' and finish it. I actually had to take risks to get a faster time to beat his, and even then that was beyond frustrating. I'm starting to realize just how good he actually was for his day and age, considering there's still a good number of the PLT-GM set that's still his 15 years later. Kai-Uwe Humpert has a few, and Yonatan Donner still has one as well, but most of them are still Demonlord's.

Archy said:

I wonder what record lasted for the longest time period.

plt25-gm will be the oldest record to stay a record in 2 days time from now. If someone beats it, then 30 days after that date it will actually be tnt22-gm, strangely enough.

With some luck in the YK area PLT22-GM could be done more than twice as fast, perhaps even under 6 minutes, definitely under 6:30.

The other two however are very impressive.

Belial said:

With some luck in the YK area PLT22-GM could be done more than twice as fast, perhaps even under 6 minutes, definitely under 6:30.

I agree. The time comes from Kai-Uwe and not Demonlord, which explains why it sits at 13+ minutes and not something like, sub-8 or sub-7. Either way, PL22 is just all sorts of fucking nasty, as is PL25.

All of demonlords used to be hard beating, I remember spending at least 3days of intense playing to improve on regular D2 Uv max records back in 1998/99...records he mostly
got in ´96 himself. Remember that Fps games had not been around for many years at that time. Players today have like at least 10years of solid Fps gaming behind them already from diffrent arenas. I´m more proud of achiving a complete 30nm run in 40:48 in 2000 than making the 30nm2939 some 9years later kinda .

It was all inspiring in a diffrent way back then since compet-n also was on its peak of activitiy.
Never had more tricks been discovered in both Udoom, D2...as was the case in ´99.

Plutonia map04 UV Max in 2:22

I told myself that I wouldn't quit until I had a time where the digits were all identical. I then reasoned that 1:11 was probably pushing it...

pl04-222.zip

On a different note, who was maintaining the tables in the sticky thread? They need updating, lol

vdgg, this is late but thanks for updating the xls tables, that is very helpful for quickly finding current records. Glad someone puts such time into this old game.

And nice job vile, beating Ancalagon. He's a tough one, definitely a quality player.

Archy said:

vdgg, this is late but thanks for updating the xls tables, that is very helpful for quickly finding current records. Glad someone puts such time into this old game.

I suppose I did sound a bit ungrateful to vdgg, so sorry about that. Yes, personally I'm glad someone has maintained it, because it would make my job of updating the C-N YT page a "Nightmare!" >_>

Thanks Archy. I must say I have very little time for Doom related stuff now, however I find last updates at 4/5 of April quite acceptable, as there have been only 4 new demos in April. For future doubts about this topic (next update/error reports, etc.), I suggest PMs to me, so there's no unnecessary discussion here - otherwise in 2014 we'll have a new glorious thread entitled "Compet-N: incoming and discussion [post Compet-N entries here] (part 2)".

I'll have to check that Tyson out when I have some free time, vdgg, but considering that map... that's a hell of an accomplishment. Might be a week though, Diablo III comes out at midnight and I'm going out of town to a festival all weekend. I will definitely check it though.

Also, over on the Compet-N database thread, you have er05-330 listed as Xit Vono's run. That's actually my demo ;)

Why, why, why? Sorry [fixed].
As mentioned in the .txt, not that hard, the map gives you some margin for error and sloppy play. Not mentioned in the .txt, I had been trying pt13 with a different approach than z0diac (should give me 10 minutes of advantage) and failed that one, got past the first arch-vile maybe 4 times out of 2000 :-P. That is hard... So the most difficult part in pt26 was actually to convince myself "you can do it, man".

skogsto09 said:

It was all inspiring in a diffrent way back then since compet-n also was on its peak of activitiy.
Never had more tricks been discovered in both Udoom, D2...as was the case in ´99.

Oh yes, it was the best time of compet-n.
Miss good old times beating your records! Check your email buddy :)

vdgg said:

Plutonia MAP26 Tyson... for maniacs only

I always knew this was at least theoretically possible, just never got around to actually trying it out... :P
It actually seemed quite simple from the demo POV, but I know it's not once you get around to recording it.
Great job!