Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did [Final Beta Released!]

Huge update to my submission! Now playable from beginning to end and includes difficulty settings and many many secrets!

Check it here: http://d2twid.herokuapp.com/submissions/23

I put a load of work into this map and I would do anything to improve it so feel free to give suggestions. Thanks!

TimeOfDeath said:

I used pr+ 2503 with -complevel 2. The demo also worked on 2512 and prboom 2.4.7, so I'm wondering if the wad has been changed? Here's the wad I used: leapoffaith.zip. Cool map. :)

That did it, thanks! I probably messed with the map at some point after uploading and forgot. Glad you enjoyed it! I think I'll definitely cut down on the cell pickups a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit after having watched this, though :P

Pavera said:

Huge update to my submission! Now playable from beginning to end and includes difficulty settings and many many secrets!

Check it here: http://d2twid.herokuapp.com/submissions/23

I put a load of work into this map and I would do anything to improve it so feel free to give suggestions. Thanks!

Hey, I really like this! I am giving feedback before finishing the map, tho. There are some stone steps that look like a window from a distance, so I didn't know to walk to them (the ones that lead to the area where there are several mancubi). You could make those steps rock1 instead of bstone2 or whatever they are. 2ndly, maybe replace some chaingunners on ledges with revenants. There seems to be slight chaingunner ledge abuse.. Not really a problem, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

EDIT: I would much like the plasma rifle to be replaced with the rocket launcher, unless the RL is as easy to get and I am just dunce-y. I would make the yellow key get a little more interesting or delete the blue door entirely and replace the blue key with the yellow one.

esselfortium said:

I think I'll definitely cut down on the cell pickups a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit after having watched this, though :P

Orrrr how about... :)

- when you get megasphere, spawn vile in megasphere room, and spawn two revs on the two pointed floors below the megasphere room (outside the impassible line bars in the megasphere room)
- spawn cyber in the big acid room after you get blue key (maybe put a rad suit in the vile closet that opens when you get blue key?)
- in the backpack room, replace hell knight with vile
- spawn a rev on the exit platform when you press the switch to raise the bridge
- when you walk onto the exit platform, spawn a monster on the other platform on the other side of the bridge

It'd probably be more in line with the stock maps to make the item balance a bit less forgiving, though, given that a lot of Doom II's maps are pretty low on ammo and stuff if you're pistol starting them. I wanted to be a bit fairer about that in mine, but I think I may have overdone it.

Could someone who has played most of the available maps tell me which ones feature spiderdemons? In a spoiler please.

Spoiler

I don't remember any spiderdemons, but maybe I'm forgetting

Essel - what's the dif between removing ammo or adding monsters? It's your map of course though (there was a cyber on doom2 map20 though :)

What if Sandy Petersen made an Archvile boss map?

I've added my second submission to the D2TWID website - MAP11: Starport Anomaly

Another (preferred) version is here. I like this version more but it suffers from VPOs in the central area after the AV is released. If anyone can come up with a more elegant, less drastic fix than I did let me know :-)

purist said:

Another (preferred) version is here. I like this version more but it suffers from VPOs in the central area after the AV is released. If anyone can come up with a more elegant, less drastic fix than I did let me know :-)

Not happening unless you restructure other chunks of the level to reduce the plane count. I hit 127 (!) trolling the level in Choco-RenderLimits. I'm by no means an expert on VPOs, but areas causing a bunch of planes are:

+ The stairs, which eat a bunch of planes. From some vantages you can see both sets, and simply indenting these will lower the count.

+ The lighting, especially in the NW Corner. Sector 90/37 make things worse, they'd need to be joined

+ Sector 46 and the set of 61-62-63, all of which add a lot of planes when they're in sight.

+ I'll throw design comments on the submission site so they don't get lost down the thread.

+ One more thing - the lit sector above the soul sphere (right below the stairs is bugged - Linedefs 98 and 253 don't agree

I like this map. An interesting take on introducing a new enemy, and seems plausibly Romeroish. Nice job. :)

I actually prefer the "stripped-down" version posted on the site, though. The ceiling decorations on the "preferred" version are a bit too thick, IMO. Simplicity works great here.

Infestation is updated.

I've fixed the HOM , reworked the western base for better flow, and added some quick geometry to make the sky look a little less bleh.

Bugs were fixed, secrets made more obvious. I decide to go with the white marble floor in honor of Romero's style, it just seemed right.

@ToD: Thanks for the demo. It was fun watching. I hope you had fun playing. You didn't look frustrated at any point at least :-)

@Xaser: Thanks, it's convenient for me that you think so.

@zodiac: Thanks for the comments. Astute as usual. I think I'll use the site version for a starting point since it looks like I can't get around the VPOs without radically changing the map. And Xaser likes it anyway!

I'll reply to your comments on the site after others have had the chance to comment. Mainly because a lot of the suggestions you've made I had already considered in the design of the map and dismissed for various reasons. I'll eleborate soon.

purist said:

I always thought it was strange that mancubi and arachnatrons were Doom 2's first boss enemy. I feel like the archvile was much better suited for that position.

I agree. Though in practice it was a difficult concept to execute due to their low HP. Have you played my level?

Well, Alfonzo told me to use this as an excuse to bump the thread, so here's an updated version of Dammit

Things already being addressed:

-Rooms connect to each other in a bit of an incoherent manner
-Radical texture changes in some areas

I felt like we didn't have enough non-Hell Petersen maps, so I present you with The Slaughterhouse.

Infiltrate a devilish factory warped to suit their infernal designs. Navigate fiendish traps and scour for secrets while battling the hordes of hell!

I tried to capture the spirit of adventure that radiated from Petersen's maps, taking inspiration from the very best of his designs.

What tricks and traps await? Find out as you take the plunge into The Slaughterhouse!

zodiac said:

I felt like we didn't have enough non-Hell Petersen maps, so I present you with The Slaughterhouse.

Ahah! Yes, this is very good to hear. I was almost ready to bring out the difibrillators again for fear of a project flatline, so it's good to know that there's always someone, somewhere, ready to yank the thread back up to front stage.

So far I've been crushed, incinerated, perforated, smitten, and arachnotronically plasmaed. I'll have to actually complete this map before I draw assess it properly, but so far it looks and plays pretty neat!

Awesome map Zodiac, that's all I can really say. My only real issue is that the big open room near the starting area seems a bit barren. Other than that, you nailed it!

I'm rather mixed about it. The SHAWN maze to the west was dead-on, I say (somewhat Halls of the Damned-ish without feeling ripoffy or homagey), but the rest of the map felt more like a 90's PWAD than an id creation. I'll need to study it a bit more to give more specific feedback, but it does feel a bit too "clean" in a way to really achieve the intended Petersen feel.

Thanks for your feedback everyone! Any particular areas you liked or disliked?

Xaser said:

I'm rather mixed about it. The SHAWN maze to the west was dead-on, I say (somewhat Halls of the Damned-ish without feeling ripoffy or homagey), but the rest of the map felt more like a 90's PWAD than an id creation. I'll need to study it a bit more to give more specific feedback, but it does feel a bit too "clean" in a way to really achieve the intended Petersen feel.

What exactly do you mean by "clean"? I think texturing and placement when you say that, and I'm having a hard time seeing where that strays except in the blue floor room.

I'll be going back to the drawing board tomorrow, so input before then is especially appreciated.

st.alfonzo said:

Ahah! Yes, this is very good to hear. I was almost ready to bring out the difibrillators again for fear of a project flatline, so it's good to know that there's always someone, somewhere, ready to yank the thread back up to front stage.

Exactly as planned! ;) What else would you say we need in terms of maps?

I've got a secret level partway done and an idea for a true open-plan level like downtown, but we need to cover all the bases. I'd say we could use a later McGee style level and a few simpler levels as well

I'm planning out a MAP19 atm, also working on minor tweaks to my current maps. "Crushed Spirits" will be a bit more forgiving and I'm going to try to implement some more E2 style in "Hidden lake". I have another map almost done but it's kinda flat in the gameplay department right now, considering just dropping it to work on MAP19

@zodiac I think that the map feels too "lived in". It doesn't have enough of that abandoned feel that you can find E2's city levels, largely because it's quite bright in some areas which gives the impression that the base is still quite functional(the opening area in particular). It's also a bit too heavy on starbase textures IMO.

I'm about to start work on another map for this project called Rapture. I'm shooting for MAP20 as it will be similar in scope to Gotcha! I'm trying for a Petersen style and I'm hoping I will have a first draft ready by the end of the month.

Other than that I might do some more work on Starport Anomaly. I did make a second draft based on suggestions from zodiac but IMO it was inferior to the original. Some parts worked well though so I might have another go.

Marcaek said:
@zodiac I think that the map feels too "lived in". It doesn't have enough of that abandoned feel that you can find E2's city levels, largely because it's quite bright in some areas which gives the impression that the base is still quite functional(the opening area in particular). It's also a bit too heavy on starbase textures IMO. [/B]

Do you have any suggestions? I wanted to play up the idea of a demonic slaughter factory, which meant some tech. Those areas are more E1 Peteresen in feel, but the map isn't E1 material - it's too hard as is, and would spoil Purist's archvile reveal on MAP11 even if I tone it down.

Also, is the "Tech Temple" in the east part of the problem? I tried a lot of textures there; vines felt too *Plutonia* and brick/marble too hellish. I thought it was quite fun to play, so I kept it. It could be moved to E1, but that's a major revision.

The lighting is a good point, and I'm grateful you pointed it out. The starting area will be darker in the next revision.

Got another one for you!

Welcome to Pain!

Petersen-style again, but coming from the premise of 'built from Doom 1 scraps' like Map 10. Players so far have loved this one!

In the meantime, anyone have feedback for Slaughterhouse? I'm still looking for detailed critique since first opinions were split.