Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Looper

Doom2 4-player built nomonster full run

Hello. I made a 4-player built nomonsters run through the whole doom2. I hope you enjoy it even if it's nomonsters. As Andy O. said, it would be too much of a headache to do a co-op built run with monsters around.

I didn't think much about those fast turns etc. so it's probably little confusing demo, but it presents some new tricks. Notice that it doesn't show the time nor total time in intermission screen because 4 players, but with prboom+ that's not a problem. I hope you enjoy.

Time: 9:41

30bt0941.zip

Awesome! So many cool tricks. Funny how players shoot each other, and thingrunning on map31 is beyond hilarious. After map29, I was like :oooo
I guess I'll have to watch this a few times to fully understand everything. :) Would be cool if someone made a video out of this with switching cameras to show the most important parts.

ha-ha! Make d2qd .cam file for better understanding what's happening there. Or make split screen youtube video with all four players.

I would upload them to youtube but if I use fraps to capture it, all the 4 demos desync about 1 second every 1 minute :(

Is there in-game built lmp to avi converter (I remember seeing a thread about that)? Maybe that doesn't desync like fraps so it would be easy to fit four videos in one video :)

How does that .cam thing work?

Paska said:

How does that .cam thing work?

It contains x,y,z,angle of camera for each tick. Some time ago I added support for Donner's d2dq cam.cam file, but not commited it. If somebody need it, I'll commit. I do not know any tools for creating cam files except hex editor, but it should not be hard to write something simple.

very interesting demo, had to watch it few times in slowmo, constantly f12ing and pausing to understand what's happening. Liked maps 29,30,31 the most, great trickery :) Perhaps a 2-way coop run with monsters is buildable, what do you think? Or would it still be the hell to manipulate things?

this is, for the lack of better words, fucking brilliant. 29-31 are jawdropping indeed!

Paska said:

I would upload them to youtube but if I use fraps to capture it, all the 4 demos desync about 1 second every 1 minute :(

The video recording is probably slowing down the game rendering. But the result sounds odd, because Doom is completely frame-based. If the engine can't push the wanted 35 FPS, the game should run slower, but should not go out-of-sync. Maybe there is some option in PrBoom turned on that allows frame skipping? Might want to play with such options.

How do I watch this? I tried using prBoom+ but it would go out of sync during the first level.

The player would hit a corner instead of going into the room with brown and not be able to get to the exit.

CodeImp said:

The video recording is probably slowing down the game rendering. But the result sounds odd, because Doom is completely frame-based. If the engine can't push the wanted 35 FPS, the game should run slower, but should not go out-of-sync. Maybe there is some option in PrBoom turned on that allows frame skipping? Might want to play with such options.

Well, if screen freezes for 0.03sec it will stay on the result of course :p
And the freezing is random which ends in about 1sec for every 1min desync. No matter what engine plays it :)

I will try this some day http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/57958-need-help-with-making-doom-youtube-videos/
That probably works better than fraps.

Paska said:

Is there in-game built lmp to avi converter (I remember seeing a thread about that)?

Latest version of PrBoom+ does have a feature for that, coded by Natt.

Joe Capricorn said:

How do I watch this? I tried using prBoom+ but it would go out of sync during the first level.

The player would hit a corner instead of going into the room with brown and not be able to get to the exit.

Perhaps you have an older version of doom2.wad? Use this page and a program like this one to check.

miffe2000 said:

I rendererd this with prboom-plus and uploaded to youtube

Can you explain how you did it? Did you use Avisynth:
v1=AviSource("1.avi").crop(...)
v2=AviSource("2.avi").crop(...)
StackHorizontal(v1,v2)

or something else?

entryway said:

Can you explain how you did it?

I used ffmpeg to encode the video, commandline was:

ffmpeg -i p1.mkv -filter 'movie=p2.mkv [p2]; movie=p3.mkv [p3]; movie=p4.mkv [p4]; [in] pad=1280:960:0:0:black [p1]; [p1][p2] overlay=640:0 [p1+p2]; [p1+p2][p3] overlay=0:480 [p1+p2+p3]; [p1+p2+p3][p4] overlay=640:480 [out]' -vcodec libx264 -an -y out.mkv
Sound was split out into .wavs from the four .mkvs using ffmpeg and merged with sox and encoded with lame
for N in `seq 1 4`; ffmpeg -i p$N.mkv p$N.wav
sox -m p1.wav p2.wav t1.wav
sox -m p3.wav p4.wav t2.wav
sox -m t1.wav t2.wav out.wav
lame --preset 128 --cbr out.wav
And then video and audio was muxed with ffmpeg with:
ffmpeg -i out.mkv -i out.mp3 -vcodec copy -acodec copy final.mkv

Heh, nice. Suddenly it's @ youtube. Thanks miffe2000.

Could you replace the "by Paska" with "by Looper", please?

I guess you should be more careful with uploading videos without authors permission? But it doesn't bother me. You did good job. The video is just how I wanted it to be.

Wow... in map29, are the two Doomguys thingrunning off each other? Great stuff.

entryway said:

It contains x,y,z,angle of camera for each tick. Some time ago I added support for Donner's d2dq cam.cam file, but not commited it. If somebody need it, I'll commit.

I'd actually like to see this.

Yay! Managed to resurrect my old account.

Paska said:

Could you replace the "by Paska" with "by Looper", please?

Done.

miffe2000 said:

Awesome work Paska!

I rendererd this with prboom-plus and uploaded to youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1T7veqA9gM

Edit: Changed link to one with fixed audio

If it was possible to watch Youtube videos in slow motion this would be perfect.

Question for entryway: Is is possible to code PrBoom+ so that the "walkcam" demo playback camera can move and turn at full speed even when watching a demo in slow motion? When I use this camera mode I usually find that it's hard to keep up with the action.

Ninja edit: While we're at it, it would also nice if the "wipe screen" effect wasn't slowed down by slow motion.

Creaphis said:

If it was possible to watch Youtube videos in slow motion this would be perfect.

If you use the html5 version it's possible to changes the speed by clicking on the gear icon.

http://youtube.com/html5

Miffe said:

If you use the html5 version it's possible to changes the speed by clicking on the gear icon.

http://youtube.com/html5

Also you need Chrome. 'Speed' function does not work with Firefox, at least with my Firefox.

How much of that is incomplete implementation of HTML5 standards, and how much is Google's bid for complete hegemony over the Internet?

Creaphis said:

Another question: is the "XDRE" utility freely available?

It's sole purpose was to have a dre without braindead keybinds for myself. It's buggy, savestates desyncing everywhere and all around horrible as I'm not a good coder myself (basically no experience whatsoever) and I kind of just followed what rambobones left.

users.jyu.fi/~jomihaka/xdre.zip

This is the most bizarre TAS demo I've ever seen!

Dumb question: Did you do this by yourself or did you have 3 other people helping you?