Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

First-try Demo Contest #9

I didn't join in the contest because I wasn't in home at that time. However, I just tried it for fun. I was able to play it smoother than I had expected, though I was upset by arch-viles many times, especially viles in 1st map. Btw, Nice maps!

fda9-tat.zip

Damn, things seemed too good to be true... I screwed up. I messed up the skill level, so mine's disqualified, as it's on skill 3. I should have used a batch file instead of the command line because DOS can eat up part of the commands if there are more than 2 lines. I had used the command line because I use a batch file that lets me select the executable (they are zipped in another folder), so I used that plus the necessary commands.

Well, maybe next time I'll get it right :p

myk said:

Damn, things seemed too good to be true... I screwed up. I messed up the skill level, so mine's disqualified, as it's on skill 3

Comparing files DOOM2P.EXE and 1.EXE
00060311: 02 03
0009A376: 02 03

I'm sorry but calculating the "correct" time is too difficult if possible at all, so I used prboom-plus' system that count intermissions too. It shouldn't affect the results anyway. And so...

First-try Demo Contest #9
13 May 2012, 14:00 UTC 

Amok.wad by Alexander "Eternal" S.
tester - Memfis
maps 01-04, skill 4, complevel 2

$  Player             Total   Deaths     Comments 
----------------------------------------------------

1  skepticist         35:43     0        Prboom-Plus 2.5.1.3    
2  Archi              44:26     1        Prboom-Plus 2.5.1.3
3  blob1024           45:55     3        Prboom-Plus 2.5.1.4
4  Hitherto           46:24     1        Doom2+
#  Shadowman          DNF       #        Prboom-Plus 2.5.0.7. Completed maps01-02.
#  Arsenikum          DNF       #        Prboom-Plus 2.5.1.1. Completed map01. Not a movie.
#  DrKugelschreiber   DNF       #        Prboom-Plus 2.5.1.3. Completed map01.

X  tatsurd-cacocaco   33:08     1        Prboom-Plus 2.5.0.7. Out of contest.   
X  TimeOfDeath        35:49     1        Prboom-Plus 2.5.0.3. Out of contest.
X  The Green Herring  39:42     3        Prboom-Plus 2.5.1.3. Out of contest.
X  myk                40:15     4        Doom2+. "Hurt me Plenty" skill (by accident)
X  Memfis             44:04     0        Prboom-Plus 2.5.1.3. Tester's FDAs. Not a movie.

Details: 
http://i.iddqd.ru/viewtopic.php?t=6628
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/59959-first-try-demo-contest-9-may-13-1400-utc/
FDC#9 is over! Thanks for playing everyone! See you next time!
(you can download all demos here: http://speedy.sh/3kNZQ/FDC9.zip)

entryway said:
Comparing files DOOM2P.EXE and 1.EXE
00060311: 02 03
0009A376: 02 03

Edit: Ah, that's a hack to make UV the default, thanks.

Edit: Whoo, the demos are ready!

When I played MAP03, I thought it was bugged at first, because I tried to open the blue key bars from the east side and I didn't get the "ungh" sound that's played when you try to activate a linedef with no action applied to it, due to the walk-triggered linedef in front of them eating up my keypresses. Thus, I got a bit confused. Only when I played it further did I find that they were switch-activated.

It was fun playing the WAD, though! My demo is "out of contest" because I didn't wake up in time to participate (damn you, time zones!). It also felt a bit 90s with some of the musical choices... ;)

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

fda9-tat.zip

Haha, I loved how on map01 one hell knight killed a zombieman through the wall. :))

The Green Herring said:

When I played MAP03, I thought it was bugged at first, because I tried to open the blue key bars from the east side and I didn't get the "ungh" sound that's played when you try to activate a linedef with no action applied to it, due to the walk-triggered linedef in front of them eating up my keypresses. Thus, I got a bit confused. Only when I played it further did I find that they were switch-activated.

exactly the same. sadly it took long to me to figure out I was missing some switches to open that bk door more than just the key. im glad somebody had the same thought of mine :p

i finished map01 and was like that was easy. then i read the OP, discarded my demo and disappeared in a dimly lit side street.

I re-read the thread, but nowhere says a time limit? :P
Btw, will there be stats for Kills/Secrets?

Also, what does this mean?

Сервер U.A.C. сообщает

Вы забанены!

Причина: не указана

I re-read the thread, but nowhere says a time limit? :P

The rules were in the FDC7 thread that I linked to. I guess I should copy/paste them here. Sorry, I'll try to make things more clear next time.

Btw, will there be stats for Kills/Secrets?

I'll add them tomorrow maybe... Got exhausted after all this work. :)

Also, what does this mean?

Heh, are you trying to read the russian thread with google-translate? :) For some reason our forum doesn't like it. Try refrishing the page a few times, maybe it will work.
EDIT: here is the whole google-translated thread if you really want to read it :) - http://speedy.sh/yvNNx/FDC9thread-googletranslate.zip

Ok thanks, looking forward to the next one. :)
My google chrome tries to translate automatically, but I'll turn that off.

ehi memfis i actually used 2.5.1.4 if that matters at all :o

btw just uv-max for lvl1, cus I cant find the secret I listed above in the thread, and tmrw= diablo3 :(

Amok.wad
map01 uv-max
01:20

am01-120.zip

Memfis said:

Hey blob, here is nomo demos with 100% secrets for all levels. Please record more when you have time! :)

i "love" you.

got 3h left lol lets check :)

Jeez, I need to check this forum more often. Apparently if I'd been on time for the contest I'd have won by 8 minutes.

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.3, zero deaths, levelstat:

MAP01 - 1:59.00 ( 1:59) K: 20/20 I: 0/2 S: 0/1
MAP02 - 5:00.77 ( 6:59) K: 90/90 I: 14/17 S: 1/4
MAP03 - 11:11.83 (18:10) K: 210/210 I: 41/45 S: 3/4
MAP04 - 9:36.06 (27:46) K: 128/128 I: 25/26 S: 0/1

Ideal strategy for one of these contests would include skipping fights to save time. I honestly felt I was playing slowly as I always killed all monsters before moving on.

fdc9 - creaphis.zip