Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

The DooMed Speed Demos Archive returns!

j4rio said:
I don't know about others, but I'd be happier if just the faster is added. It clutters zip with something nobody besides demo freaks would bother with.

I don't mind seeing previous tries in the updates list. People check the demos for different reasons and might want to be informed about these previous tries. I tend to watch some of them, and would probably miss them if they just appeared on the table. They appear beside each other so you should be able to tell you can skip them :p

The issue with the compatibility -1 demo is because the list does not include compatibility levels. Should demos in "alternate" compatibilities be discriminated because of that lack of info? I think it's better to start adding that data, even if earlier entries are incomplete. Besides, the longer it takes to add the data, the greater the work would be one day if it were added and someone decided to update old demos. Also, "PrBoom" is confusing for "unknown engine" demos. Instead it could just say the engine is not known but that it's vanilla or Boom compatible, or whatever as appropriate, because some of those demos may be recorded with Chocolate, vanilla, Doom95 or whatnot and that may matter for technical or historical reasons. I know "PrBoom" means "who knows, but newer PrBooms play it," but many people browsing may not. Plus some may say "PrBoom" in the text file, and this use makes a guess equivalent to more specific data (that it was indeed recorded with some version of the PrBoom engine.)

My Plutonia Tyson was not recorded with Final Doom exe (though it should play back OK with it).

Regarding 2 demos in one zip, sometimes text files matter, so for me the way they are handled is fine.

dew: You're correct. It turns out Zahid wasn't familiar with the complevel parameter. He knows now and should be recording a replacement, shortly. On a related topic, I fixed the missing monster bug on MAP21 of PRCP and uploaded it to DSDA.

j4rio: I wasn't sure which of Uwe's demos were considered TASes, so I didn't note them as such. I did know about him being disqualified from C-N, though, hence no C-N by his (or Steffen Winterfeldt's) demos.

There's nothing much I can do about people considering ZDoom runs records. I may add the option to disable the showing of certain engines, but they'll still be shown by default. At the end of the day, DSDA is just an archive, not the final word on what is and isn't a record. If the demo community wants more, I recommend reviving C-N. I'd even be willing to host it, if someone else will administrate it. Using dew's idea of keeping DoomWiki updated would work, too.

As for keeping multiple demos, I combine them so they don't clutter up the tables with tiny improvements to one's own demos, but still give those demos a permanent home.

myk: If I start adding complevel data it's going to appear at the end of the version, like: PRBoom v2.5.1.3cl2. That's the best I can do without adding another field, which isn't worth the time, or putting them in the comments, which isn't worth the clutter. Is that what everyone wants?

vdgg: Fixed. Thanks!

Andy Olivera said:
If I start adding complevel data it's going to appear at the end of the version, like: PRBoom v2.5.1.3cl2. That's the best I can do without adding another field, which isn't worth the time, or putting them in the comments, which isn't worth the clutter.

Yeah, that's understandable and sounds good, as far as I'm concerned.

Andy Olivera said:

dew: You're correct. It turns out Zahid wasn't familiar with the complevel parameter. He knows now and should be recording a replacement, shortly. On a related topic, I fixed the missing monster bug on MAP21 of PRCP and uploaded it to DSDA.

he's subscribed to my youtube channel, so i've PM'd him explaining the issue as well. :)
adding complevel after engine version sounds good to me!

How about just writing preferable -complevel next to wads and demos that used different -cl than they should get commented? At least in case they are currently fastest, beaten demos are pretty much unnecessary to bother with.

Sounds like more clutter and work for Andy than it's worth because, like Zahid, most people with a competitive bent eventually adopt "proper compatibility" use after a "bad" demo or two when people contact them about it, and we're an army of compatibility maniacs constantly checking new uploads :p

dew said:

here's an idea i've been toying with for ages now - start filling out the speedrun tables at doomwiki. i'm sure its admins will let us set the standards for "official" record admissions, so even if someone tries to edit in zdoom times or something, we'd have a policy behind us.

Don't know what others think, but I personally have been holding off on this until Andy announces that the entire backlog is available.

Incidentally.

Andy Olivera said:

There are currently over 4,200 PRBoom demos in the archive, and adding a complevel to all of them(let alone determining said complevel)

Means that 10 of us demofans each check 30 lmps per day for 2 weeks.  There are more than 10 people who want this, so, volunteers?

Of course, if it's still incredibly tedious for Andy to upload the information, well, that's his choice — he's done a tremendous amount already.  But could he not specify some standard file format (I would happily take the other 9 people's results and rack them up myself), then glue everything in with a script in one go?

weeelll... i didn't mean C-N wads in particular, because the situation there is even more convoluted, with prboom+ demos being considered almost as evil as zdoom demos in general. i meant filling out tables for the other stuff... cchests, scythes, plutonia sequels, etc.

Maybe it'd be easier if a program spontaneously appeared that could load a huge list of demos and export what complevel they used by looking at the demo header or wherever that info is.

60 demos this week.

Memfis: The pechild demo showed up after I ran last week's update. It's up now. megawad attribution fixed. Thanks!

myk said:

Sounds like more clutter and work for Andy than it's worth

Actually I thought it would be a lot less work than adding "clX" to every single demo - unless I was misunderstood, I mean it somewhat like this. Having it written once near each wad would serve as a guide more than sufficiently and most of demos obviously do follow the -cl usage and anomalies are rare, so it wouldn't be all that much clutter if those few get noted in comments. It could be added to top20 wads and maybe others with 100+ or 50+ demos later. I don't really know how much trouble would that take, but I suppose it would be better than manually adding additional info to every demo all the time, although I admit I don't have a slightest idea about web design so in the end it might be more trouble, depends on how automated stuff can get. (Sorry I didn't notice your reply before.)

Daiyu's MAP 15 UV Pacifist for Scythe 2 uses the secret exit not the normal one. It should be moved to MAP 15s as should his NoMonsters run which has the same problem.

The NM100S demos for cchest3 MAP28 should probably be switched to NM Speed; because there are no secrets in that level, the goals of NM Speed and NM100S are equivalent.

Sorry for double post, but here are a few level slot corrections:

• 21jpxfir and 21ratmaz are E2M1, not E1M1.
  • 23castle is E2M3, not E1M1. Notable because Kyle McAwesome's demo is listed with the right level slot, but Maikl's isn't.

Base Ganymede WAD has no slot called "MAP06". Graim's 1:33 speedrun is for E1M6.

Also, ClumsyDoomer's SC01X022 Max misses the TAS mark in the table.

This is TAS (filename, text file, or just... by default :) )
edit: Artem was quicker

SAV88 said:

Base Ganymede WAD has no slot called "MAP06". Graim's 1:33 speedrun is for E1M6.

Yes, sorry i didn't realize i was playing doom when writing the txt :)

Here is the corrected archive for case dsda aims to be extra precise.. sorry

b1g6_133.zip

cl9 was used in holyhell demos

also

hrb - 3:54 missed secret
spacelab - 5:05 missed secrets
scythe2(1st release) map 23 - 10:41 missed monster
dv2 map 23 - 15:23 missed monster
phmlspd map 26 - 26:57 misses 2 revived monsters

Andy,

On Sihr2, si18-131 by Kyle McAwesome is mistakenly listed as a MAP08 UV Max, while it is actually MAP18 UV Max.

Not only, may I please ask you to delete my zf25-1102 on the Zof wad and add my zf25-1038 instead? Thank you in advance if so!

Doomdaniel95's NoMonsters run for Scythe2 (2nd Release) Map 31 normal exit is 0:19 not 0:40. ;)

Andy Olivera, will you add incoming demos to the archive?

It would be very weird and disconcerting to suddenly have the C-N demos stop being archived at DSDA. I use DSDA like the Database.