Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

vdgg, it's ok, I probably did wrong c/p, sorry for that :/

Unfortunately I was unable to contact Adam Hegyi for years, I asked everyone I knew and I have his ICQ, email, and so on, but he never appeared, if anyone know how can I reach him I would be pleased so he can at least give his own approval for reviving Compet-n and i'd like to know what's with Adam since I (and Sedlo) was in Budapest two times playing Doom with him, Istvan, Radeg and it was absolutely great!

As I pointed in forum, I wanted Compet-n back for years because I'm great fan of it and I checked demos from time to time. So this is my payback and I won't let you guys down, more improvements will follow, also I have some runs to do since I finally managed to run vanilla doom on my PC :)

Feel free to contact me, report bugs and whatever you like :)
irc.quakenet.org #nightmare is un-"official" channel for Compet-n.

Ahem, yes, my mail is admin@doom.com.hr

Nice of you to do this! I hope it all goes well (even better if Hegyi approves).

However, fx, I should note that on the "demos by player" pages, attempting to bring up any player's records for Doom II with the date set to February 2009 (2009, 2) or later brings up a "GREŠKA 500 - Interna greška servera!" error instead of a records page. You might want to fix that. ;)

I still wonder why Adam Hegyi would just disappear. A little note left behind would be nice. And he could of at least handed COMPET-N over to someone, he knows it's important to many people and with Doom's popularity waning, it's getting only more and more dear to us (to me).

The Green Herring said:

Nice of you to do this! I hope it all goes well (even better if Hegyi approves).

However, fx, I should note that on the "demos by player" pages, attempting to bring up any player's records for Doom II with the date set to February 2009 (2009, 2) or later brings up a "GREŠKA 500 - Interna greška servera!" error instead of a records page. You might want to fix that. ;)

I see no reason why it shouldn't go well :)
Error 500 -> thank you for pointing at it, will look at it now.

Sorry for error, it's fixed now, as I said I don't have all information about players, so i've left out country for "newcomers" and that was the problem. I'll add "no country" until I found out where they actually belong. :)

Great great news! Now I hope there will be forum activity, that will make the site feel alive.

Well, site will be alive, it depends wheter people will accept it or not. No matter what I'll continue to update database and maintain it.
Anyway, I was trying to beat some record yesterday but I can't disable vertical mouse movement in DOSBox. What do you guys use if you play from DOSbox? Or you play from DOS/FreeDOS. In FreeDOS everything is working as supposed but since I have USB mouse novert tool does not work, and without that it's impossible to play at all :/ Looks like I'll have to buy PS/2 mouse :) Or maybe someone has mouse driver that supports disabling vertical sensitivity. With gmouse I was able to lower it to 5 but not disable it and that0s still a major problem because I stuck everywhere :)

fx02 said:

What do you guys use if you play from DOSbox?

novert or dms015

Check your inbox fx02, and damn, been here since 2004 and only have 19 posts??

Looper said:
novert or dms015

Yeah, I normally use Windows 98, but when I've visited a friend to play on a LAN using DOSBox, Novert worked fine there too.

Well, I didn't post too much. Maybe that will change, who knows.
novert for some reason doesn't work but dms is OK.

fx02, its nice to know you're taking over the compet-n !

However, how will you handle the many cheating possibilities people have nowadays to make a perfectly compatible demo in no time ? (prboom-plus, DOS emulator with save states and slo mo ...)

Anders and Dashiva a few years ago were looking at restarting C-N with an entirely new port that would somehow prevent cheating. But it never came to completion. Maybe we could contact them?

Also, one way to legitimize a demo would be to ask the submitter to also send ALL his failed tries as a proof he/she didnt use prboom-plus and save states. You know how many tries old school players like Sedlo, Vile, Anders, Ocelot and co needed to make one awesome demo :) => TONS.

VinceDSS said:

Also, one way to legitimize a demo would be to ask the submitter to also send ALL his failed tries as a proof he/she didnt use prboom-plus and save states. You know how many tries old school players like Sedlo, Vile, Anders, Ocelot and co needed to make one awesome demo :) => TONS.

This sounds like a good idea, however I tend to delete these a while after the final demo, so I cannot provide any failed tries of my past demos. Among the few ones which survived are rf03,rt17 and m213 (tyson) failed attempts.

The only effect of having too much worries about possible cheating would be that there'd be nothing happenning at all and amount of theoretical persuadable people who would record for c-n will only decrease. But in any case, it really isn't that difficult to spot some TAS usage, and lately there are some so determined people to speedrunning that could consider beating an amateurish TAS legitimately as a casual mild challenge. Also, all failed tries piling up would still be useless as you could just pile a big bunch failed attempts and on top of that create a TAS. Having a different port is actually a really great idea, but it would have to somehow force information into demo file that it was recorded with said port, do some anti-TAS measures and still manage to playback with doom/doom2, which doesn't sound as anything simple. Also I don't think prboom-plus should be entirely neglected - if there is a "beaten" c-n demo, there should be at least some sort of notification that a faster demo that plays with original executable exists (that way you'd sort out zdoom demos).

First, Compet-n will stay as it is. doom2.exe only.
Cheating, don't do it! It seems like it's hard to find a cheater but at some point it's not, there are some measures that I take before I accept any demo.

Anyway, I can still be wrong and accept cheated demo. If I submit it to Compet-n player should pray every single day that we won't find him cheating.

Second, I NEED help, it really takes time to add all demos to current database and to look at them, look at source and so on, so if someone wanted to ressurect Compet-n please let him know what I did and if he wants he should contact me with ideas or whatever. And if that person is Anders tell him to bug off, old sucker :P

Third... I want to add all old demos to database,then "redesign" compet-n to some point or add it do doom.com.hr (it would simplify things for me) and then think about converting database to mysql and adding extra section for custom CLOSED port with custom demos. But as I pointed, first things first.

I'd really love to continue discussion on Compet-n forum.

Skogsto09: Hmm, mail (gmail) you use on doomworld forum.

Archy: Oh look, "incoming" is working :P

ps. I did some major stuff today on whole doom.com.hr so please visit main Compet-n / doom.com.hr page to update links. I did it because I want multilingual Compet-n.

Regards

fx02, how to I make your forum English? I have trouble navigating and registering with Hrvatski.

Edit: I'm stupid, just figured it out. Thanks anyway.

Ungh, on registration page you should have option to pick your default language. Anyway, I'll flip everything to english as default. Sorry for the inconvinience.

fx02 said:

Ungh, on registration page you should have option to pick your default language. Anyway, I'll flip everything to english as default. Sorry for the inconvinience.

For selecting languages, don't use text, use flags. That way regardless of what language that person reads, they can tell immediately where the "select language" section it.

fx02 said:

Well, in short I've "taken over" Compet-n and now it's located on: http://www.doom.com.hr/compet-n/

More info here: http://doom.com.hr/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 (I think this is the right link? feel free to correct me, vdgg)

Oh. My. God. I can't believe I'm seeing this.

I will be more than happy to help with tracking down the current record times (since they are neatly listed, ALL submissions are), and the date they were posted, since I'm putting together the YouTube channel for the Compet-N (which I need to update but I've been incredibly busy).

If you need anything, PLEASE let me know and I will see what I can do to help. This is nothing short of incredible.

Also, I'd love to resubmit my info as a player on the page, since my stuff is so incredibly out-dated... it still says that I say I'm 16 and play with a keyboard. I'm 26 now and use a mouse! =P

Archy said:

For selecting languages, don't use text, use flags. That way regardless of what language that person reads, they can tell immediately where the "select language" section it.

I'll have that in my mind, I'm really busy in RL these days, but only for front doom.com.hr page. I don't want to mess too much with forum.

Altima said:

Oh. My. God. I can't believe I'm seeing this.
If you need anything, PLEASE let me know..
Also, I'd love to resubmit my info as a player on the page

Neither I :P Look at c-n forum, I have an offer for people who would like to help, so you're welcome, and yes send me new player profile.

WOW! That was a quick one! First time Doomer and you already have a world record.

That part with the mancubi was intense.