Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snakes

Doomworld "Secret Santa" Project - SECOND MAP POSTED

Heh - I don't mind admitting I'm completely new to my mapper's works. This project is already doing me the grace of getting to check out new things :)

This is interesting. I'm finding it difficult to not revert to my own design techniques instead of imitating the person I've been assigned. I can't wait to see where this mapping will end up.

Question - just how closely do we need to follow the imitatee? Style only, or flaws and all? Are we looking for maybe a merging of styles, like "X's take on Y"?

Mista_T said:

Question - just how closely do we need to follow the imitatee? Style only, or flaws and all? Are we looking for maybe a merging of styles, like "X's take on Y"?

This a pretty interesting question, actually. I'm not so sure a note-for-note imitation has to be done on the level of DTWID, as that may be a bit extreme. I think, though, the best way to go about the imitation is to do the very best that you can to capture the author's style.

A degree of your own signature is virtually inevitable when making something like this, so I think a bit of merging is just going to happen naturally.

Basically try your best to stray from your own habits :)

My habits seem to be pretty hard to step down from though. I've been making some progress after looking at a group of the author's maps. He has a very different mapping style than I have, not easy to follow a different method of mapping. Hopefully the author isn't going to dislike it if it turns out nothing like his maps.

I will say right now (as all the previous posts for certain trigger a lot of curiosity) that my designated mapper is a swell guy, and I look forward to digging in on the research on his style and eventually crafting a map.

Just got mine. My internet's been down in my building for the past week. Looks like everyone got a head start - I'm happy with what I got, should be very fun!

I'm at IAD waiting for my flight home now, and using the time to look at the mapper I have to imitate... this will be a really intriguing excursion, as there's a very distinctive style to be found... Some of the author's habits are going to make my head spin (in a good way).

A little question: mappers can imitate can do a map that diverges from original mapper fav designs?

However, just started playing and studying at "my" mapper choice...

I'll can handle do it....

dutch devil said:

My habits seem to be pretty hard to step down from though. I've been making some progress after looking at a group of the author's maps. He has a very different mapping style than I have, not easy to follow a different method of mapping. Hopefully the author isn't going to dislike it if it turns out nothing like his maps.

I'm also bit worried about not being able to properly imitate my author. Its a fun challenge nonetheless and I'm really looking forward to working on this in the next coming weeks!

walter confalonieri said:

A little question: mappers can imitate can do a map that diverges from original mapper fav designs?

Not too sure what you're asking here, but if you mean "Can I do a map in the style of the author, but not in their usual theme", then I can't imagine there would be a problem with that, aside from the additional challenge of guessing how they'd do that theme!

Snakes said:

I'm at IAD waiting for my flight home now, and using the time to look at the mapper I have to imitate... this will be a really intriguing excursion, as there's a very distinctive style to be found... Some of the author's habits are going to make my head spin (in a good way).

Ah you got me :p

So far my map is at 20% done, still looks a bit too much like a map of mine. Need to study the author more I guess.

I'm not sure how big of a map I'll end up making. So far I haven't been doing much besides trying to adapt to different styles. I suppose I'll just keep picking at it, I have a month or two to get it done anyway.

Phobus said:

Not too sure what you're asking here, but if you mean "Can I do a map in the style of the author, but not in their usual theme", then I can't imagine there would be a problem with that, aside from the additional challenge of guessing how they'd do that theme!

Yes, thank you phobus

I think my map might only be 5% done. Progress has been slow, but I'm working on it. I only have 1 room basically finished and maybe a hallway.

I've done my research and I'm ready to go... but for some reason after doing so I got an almost inexplicable burst of motivation for some other map I said I'd do for a community project ages ago, so I'm capitalising on that for now. Progress is good though, so my effort here isn't too far into the forseeable future :)

I, uh... have like, a room done or something. Nice to see that at least one of us is having a good-go at it right now! Hopefully I can get more progress in the next couple of weeks so I don't risk punching my own deadline in its face, but it isn't like I haven't failed at reaching my own standards before :-/

I'm sorta doing what Phobus is doing, because I am an evil. Hacx suddenly got really interesting to work on. :P

I've sketched out a nefarious plan, though. Dunno whether or not I'll be able to keep sane throughout the whole thing, of course. O_O

Got a large portion of my map down and nearly the rest of it worked out in my mind. Just gotta work on it now. :)

Phobus said:

but for some reason after doing so I got an almost inexplicable burst of motivation for some other map

Snakes said:

I, uh... have like, a room done or something.

Same here, heh. I made one room and then went to make some doom1 maps.

i made a room and a bare skeleton of level base... but most of the the time was wasted watching youtube videos and facebook... hope to do something in this week (since i have some holidays stuff to do...)

after analyzing this person's work a little bit more thoroughly, i'm just going to say they shouldn't have participated in this event for ME to draw. It's all good though... ill soldier on.