Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Johnsen

Sad news, Joe Abene passed away...

I realized I should perhaps have posted this thread in here instead of the main forum, since most of his doom friends were involved with the speedrunning scene, and might not check the other one regulary.

Not too many people who are still active knew him as well as me I suppose, but those who did would certainly want to know.

Link to the thread with more information:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/60598-sad-news-joe-abene-passed-away/

wow, that was ridiculous. i didn't know abene, but that demo made me smile. a good way to be commemorated on doom forums. :)

That was a great demo, shame, it's always sad when someone passes away, but definitely a good commemoration.

I remember the name, and that demo, but never had any contact with him. Sad news indeed, and thanks for the information. RIP.

I only had one conversation with him but he was a really nice guy. Wish I saved that conversation now...

We met accidentally on YouTube, it was this video I met him on.

Reptile conservationism, such a unique job. Most C-N players aren't much outside of the Doom World, but Joe Abene had a cause he believed in and worked for.

It may sound like I'm just trying to be nice and thoughtful just because this guy died but I've always been intrigued buy Joe Abene's job.

Joe Abene's COMPET-N DEMOS. F3M9-231 and T3M8-124 still stand.

By the way Andy, COMPET-N has a new home:
http://doom.com.hr/compet-n/index.cgi

It's governed by Zvonimir Buzanic, known as "fx" to the Doom community.

vdgg said:

E3M8 Tyson record

This is one of the coolest demos I've watched in a long time. I'm fairly shocked that I've missed watching up until this point. Sad to hear about the passing of anyone in the Doom community, and this is no different.

Bon voyage, dude.

vdgg said:

E3M8 Tyson record

Amazing! He will never be forgotten.

What a great find, I didnt know about his youtube chan. Thanks for linking it, fun to see him at work with the snakes :) Two of his classic demos are up there as well. I see he even uploaded my old e4m2 run...he always did enjoy that one.

It's nice that Doomers are more connected nowadays with facebook, etc. in case someone is MIA for a while.