Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Philnemba

DOOM 3 BFG Edition - Debut Trailer

I don't really know what exactly id is going to use for the engines for Doom 1 and 2, but I'm pretty sure that they want the experience to be identical across platforms. Still, didn't the 2 XBLA ports have different engines, due to being done by two different devs separately?

Still, what I'm really curious about is what they intend to do with the IWADs.

chungy said:

One thing to remember also is that open source is strictly off-limits from consoles

Yes, but that's just for the console versions of the source code, am I correct? There usually are variances between different platform's source code, so as long as they keep only the PC source open, they'll be in the clear for console publishing, right? Or does GPL specifically disallow closed source projects?

Dragonsbrethren said:

Yeah, I actually agree. Maybe it comes from being a console gamer exclusively for so much of my life, but I've never been a fan of games that let you save anywhere. It completely removes any tension from a game. I do like the convenience of being able to save anywhere, but I prefer save systems where the save is erased immediately upon loading it; you can only use it to save your progress once, not to reload your progress any time you screw up.

There should definitely be a game where you can save anywhere, but only when you quit. And if you try to exploit this by quitting and restarting, activate a 60-second timer to make it inconvenient.

Sodaholic said:

Or does GPL specifically disallow closed source projects?

I think it's just GPL and others like it which disallow closed source distribution and limited distribution rights (and I don't quite agree with GPL there, it limits the commercial usefulness of the software), even though I don't know how they can prove this when proprietary code makers do steal GPL code.

Hasn't any official attempt to revamp Doom 3 already been superseded by mods? Does id software really have anything to offer better than Sikkmod and Doom 3 Perfected/Evolution?

Grant that I am not an authority so this is technically suspicion, but this release seems to obviously be geared towards bringing the Doom franchise back into the mainstream mindset just before the release of Doom 4. Much like how Doom Collector's Edition was published before the Doom 3 release.

Unlike Doomworld, the large mass of mainstream gamers have a rather short-lived memory. Mention Doom and they'll have maybe vague recollections of what you're talking about. Release all the previous Doom games and they'll become fairly familiar with it and ready for the next installment.

Not so much of trying to be better than what modders have already done, but more of getting Doom back into public view.

Clonehunter said:

You know, the only thing I'm a little disappointed at is the Flashlight change. I mean, sure this Half-Life sounding suit light may be more handy, but if you can just keep it up whenever you want, I feel it takes away from what iD tried to do with Doom 3. Am I seriously the only one who liked the limited suspense that the lighting issue caused? Now unless it has a battery feature (Also like Half Life), well maybe it'd work a bit better. I dunno, I just prefer the flashlight maybe for this game, cause I think it worked best. Sure some areas were rather dark, but the only thing this really inhibited was "Oh I can't see the wall". Now maybe if it was only included in the new map pack, then I guess I'd be alright with that.

The flashlight is the main departure from classic Doom that I think id got right in Doom 3. It's clear that they designed the levels and enemy encounters around the fact that the player had the option to light up dark corners, but at the cost of lowering his weapon. Or the player just used the light given off by gunfire - I remember it giving a wonderful, disorienting, strobe light-like effect to Imp fights.

I'll also miss situations like where you'd shine the light into a monster closet, get startled by an enemy roaring to life; then using the torch, bonked him what good on the nose; ran around the nearest corner, to come back with a proper weapon in hand.

Right. I know a lot of people (a LOT of people) complained about the game being too dark, but aside from a few spots, most of the areas where combat occurred in the game were lit. Truly pitch black areas were used to hide enemy ambushes (hence the strategy of the flashlight, as you should check dark areas with it first to make sure nothing's waiting for you), or had some sort of "special" light source that acted as a setpiece for the area (the guy with the lamp; a sentry bot with a flashlight; the glowing specimen container). Almost never were there areas where you were forced to fight enemies with no light whatsoever.

I also have no problem with "save anywhere" save systems and actually scoff a bit at people who say it removes the tension. If it's a problem for you, this is where you exercise a bit of self-control and don't save constantly. It's that simple. When I play DOOM games, I save at the beginning of a map and then never again until the beginning of the next map. There's your tension for you.

Megamur said:

Right. I know a lot of people (a LOT of people) complained about the game being too dark, but aside from a few spots, most of the areas where combat occurred in the game were lit. Truly pitch black areas were used to hide enemy ambushes (hence the strategy of the flashlight, as you should check dark areas with it first to make sure nothing's waiting for you), or had some sort of "special" light source that acted as a setpiece for the area (the guy with the lamp; a sentry bot with a flashlight; the glowing specimen container). Almost never were there areas where you were forced to fight enemies with no light whatsoever.

I also have no problem with "save anywhere" save systems and actually scoff a bit at people who say it removes the tension. If it's a problem for you, this is where you exercise a bit of self-control and don't save constantly. It's that simple. When I play DOOM games, I save at the beginning of a map and then never again until the beginning of the next map. There's your tension for you.

The thing is, Doom 1 had a lot of very dark areas and "closet monsters" In E1M2, there is the dark maze and in E1M3, the dark, red key-card room that spawns imps behind you when you pick it may have been an inspiration for Doom 3.

There is a big difference between the darkness in Doom 1 and Doom 3 though.In Doom 1, it never hinders the player, whereas in Doom 3 it's hard to fight in darkness.

Oh yeah and Doom 3 is not quite as linear as people think it is, it has a lot of secrets in fact my favorite being the chaingun secret in the dark room where the lantern guy guides you. If you stray a bit from the main path and keep going you will find the chaingun with some ammo.The same goes for most other weapons.

Yea I would rather keep quick saves enabled. I might only sit down for 5 or 10 mins or need to suddenly go do something and like to save were I played up to, not be dictated how long I play.

I know realistically check points are not usually that far apart, but I guess it also stops you saving at various parts of the map to re-play later on. With checkpoints you have to start the whole game again, unless it does chapters, but even that is restrictive.

Why cant they just do both or have the options under 'Gameplay' to change how you like to save progress?

I'm actually totally interested in BFG Edition -- I thought Doom 3 was shit, to be honest, and this gives me a chance to give it another chance; and if I don't really like it, then I have an excuse to play Doom 1 and 2 on the umpteenth platform.

Chest-flashlight is a good thing in my eyes; Doom is for me about running around recklessly getting into situations my reactions and skill are going to get me out of, not creeping around like a scared kitten 'scouting' the area visually before I dare proceed. So yeah, I might be one of the folk that get more from it this time.

@ComicMischief

I don't think being able to use the flashlight and a gun at the same time is going to completely redesign the gameplay. DOOM 3 is just an inherently slower-paced game than its predecessors. If you can't accept that it has a different play style than classic DOOM, be prepared to be disappointed all over again.

Gatling said:

Hasn't any official attempt to revamp Doom 3 already been superseded by mods?

No. BFG Edition won't look like ass like those mods you listed do.

I haven't played Doom 3, so I'm going to get this for PC. I REALLY hope that id will include that Doom 2 bonus episode made for X-Box 360 as a bonus. It's probably a long shot, but it would be pretty awesome.

Megamur said:

@ComicMischief

I don't think being able to use the flashlight and a gun at the same time is going to completely redesign the gameplay. DOOM 3 is just an inherently slower-paced game than its predecessors. If you can't accept that it has a different play style than classic DOOM, be prepared to be disappointed all over again.

Indeed.

Though agility still counts for a lot of survivability in the harder difficulty settings. You may be slower than in Doom1/2, but enemies also broadcast their attacks much sooner as well (see Imp's fireball attack here (youtube)) so you have more time to react.

DoomUK said:

No. BFG Edition won't look like ass like those mods you listed do.

Ah, Sikkmod--once again proving that gamers are easily amused by MORE SHININESS EVERYWHERE!

Arjak said:

I haven't played Doom 3, so I'm going to get this for PC. I REALLY hope that id will include that Doom 2 bonus episode made for X-Box 360 as a bonus. It's probably a long shot, but it would be pretty awesome.

I'm hoping the same. Forcing me to play DOOM on a console is just cruel.

Sikkmod isn't just for cosmetics, it also offers classic Doom running speed, barons of hell, pain elementals, better sounds, resurrectable zombies, corpses that don't disappear and classic Doom weapon damage. Turn off all the graphics settings and you're pretty much set.

It would be cool if the new map pack included a secret with a couple of Doom 4 screenshots.

I would like tbh but Doom 3 in my opinion did not feel like doom at all it did have its moments though so at least it got that far

Marnetmar said:

Sikkmod isn't just for cosmetics, it also offers classic Doom running speed, barons of hell, pain elementals, better sounds, resurrectable zombies, corpses that don't disappear and classic Doom weapon damage. Turn off all the graphics settings and you're pretty much set.

All the graphical settings turned off still make my game more laggy than I'd like it. Maybe I just gotta look into it more..

Did you install the high res texture packs? Get rid of the parallax mapping stuff in the glprogs folders, it will speed things up a ton, plus the parallax mapping just looks ugly 9/10 times.

I think I have hi-res textures. Been awhile since I looked at it. I'll have to check that out and see if it works. Thanks!

Darkman 4 said:

They've confirmed that it's coming out for PC as well.

Good thing this.

I hope the new levels are interesting.

GoatLord said:

Hope there's a Mac release. Can't run newer games very well on my PC.

There will probably be. As DOOM 3 was released for Mac, DOOM 3 shall be released for PC. Anyway, I hope they remake DOOM 1 and 2 on the DOOM 3 engine as a bonus. :3

idSoftware981 said:

I hope they remake DOOM 1 [...] on the DOOM 3 engine

They did.

Shaviro said:

Doom 3 is a remake of Doom 1 using the Doom 3 engine.

No.... completely different gameplay. Different levels, different weapon design... if you call DOOM 3 a remake of DOOM 1... you must have an IQ below 100. DOOM 3 was a REBOOT. There's a difference. If it was a remake it would have been much more well recieved and much more like the original DOOM 1 that all of us have grown up with.

You can attach all the different buzzwords and try to cover up your lack of insight with all the insults you want. Doom 3 is a result of id software remaking Doom 1. They rebooted the series by remaking Doom 1. Poorly, yes.

What you're suggesting is not only stupid and self-contradictory, it's ultimately pointless. "Remaking" a 19 year old game without really changing anything is a completely worthless exercise where the best possible outcome is a game that is only slightly worse than the original, but now completely outdated.
Want Doom1? Play Doom1.