Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Not related to the game itself, but I just found out that this person on top of Post Hell is NOT a girl.

Gez said:

Apparently, it's just this level. The rocket in question is a heatseeking missile, and there are jets of flames that go off periodically. So the missile regularly switches its target and that syncs well enough to give a perfect orbit. The description to the video says you have to destroy all torches except one, go to a specific point, and shoot in a specific direction to achieve that.

So it is quite different from the revenant's homing rockets.

Other than that, orbit radius is also a function of speed and maneuverability. The higher the speed, and the lower the maneuverability, the wider the orbit.

Cool, thanks, Gez.

Jimi said:]I just found out that the BFG explosion flashes are very similar to the Teleport flashes.. so is it like a Telefrag gun then? Something that teleports parts (the atoms, etc) of the target into random places inside the target or nearby area and ultimately turns the target into some kind of red jelly.

This seems possible. I mean, this almost reminds me of when BaronOfStuff showed how the Lost Soul is merely a edit of the Mancubus fireball.

Xane123 said:

when BaronOfStuff showed how the Lost Soul is merely a edit of the Mancubus fireball.

Or the other way round. Lost Souls already existed in DOOM 1, Mancubi from DOOM 2 on.

Yea, I just found out they were even in the shareware Doom. Also including the cacodemon fireball, arach plasma and the bosscube.

I've also found out the pickup sprites for the shotguns in Doom64 are swapped. The sprite that looks like supershotgun is the normal, and the one that looks like shotgun gives the supershotgun. But I think I've noticed this before and then forgot.

I know this is not Doom, but this black line of pixels has always bothered me

Kore said:

Blood has a quite similar problem - at certain distances/angles a single color scanline gets written right above enemy sprites.

Yeah, but here the problem is in the sprite itself. There are several other Heretic sprites that are glitchy.

Is that a blood sea I sight before the horizon in the episode 3 intermission screen?

Suddenly, perspective!

Kore said:

Wow. The way the far part of the wall shows between his legs it looked like a butthole to me. And I thought that was what you were talking about until I read the next post.

st.alfonzo said:

Is that a blood sea I sight before the horizon in the episode 3 intermission screen?

This one?

I believe that's rather a tinted shadow of Deimos floating above Hell?
__

Ah, no, this one:

That may be true, indeed.

The blood consumption of Hell is incredible. What do they make of it ... saussage loafs as building bricks?

LigH said:

Ah, no, this one:

http://www.ligh.de/pics/DOOM/WIMAP2.png

That may be true, indeed.

The blood consumption of Hell is incredible. What do they make of it ... saussage loafs as building bricks?

Looks more like desert to me, tinted red by the light in the distance. Here's a hint why it's NOT blood: it doesn't animate.

Also just noticed that the Cacodemon can be stunned with chainsaw. Never knew that...

TB171 said:

Also just noticed that the Cacodemon can be stunned with chainsaw. Never knew that...

And the chaingun...

Archy said:

And the chaingun...

Oh yeah. Who could have forgotten that LOL :P

I just noticed that the orange stripes in the Demon's legs disappear when he attacks or is in pain.

Archy said:

And the chaingun...

And I think the Plasma Gun can also stun and kill pretty fast. (Basically, the rapid-fire work best on that smiling thing.
(I bet this topic is only for the original Doom, so I guess any PWADs don't count, right?)

I was always sure that monsters rising from illusio-pits are PWAD thingy. I was really suprised when I met with this on MAP28.

Scypek2 said:

I was always sure that monsters rising from illusio-pits are PWAD thingy. I was really suprised when I met with this on MAP28.

MAP28 of which IWAD?

Xane123 said:

MAP28 of which IWAD?

Doom 2... at the end of MAP28 there's about 3 enemies that rise out of the ground, however these are not illusio-pits. The snake textures on the floor and lower sidedefs of the pits give the impression of an illusio-pit, but if you walk right up to them you can see the monsters in their little holes...

glenzinho said:

Doom 2... at the end of MAP28 there's about 3 enemies that rise out of the ground, however these are not illusio-pits. The snake textures on the floor and lower sidedefs of the pits give the impression of an illusio-pit, but if you walk right up to them you can see the monsters in their little holes...

OK, thnks. I'll have to go see that, although I have some idea in my mind; Maybe I've seen it, seeing how Doom II is the main Doom game on my computer (which I run my PWAD for testing way more than it itself).

glenzinho said:

The snake textures on the (...) lower sidedefs of the pits

no way, there's no texture here.

Scypek2 said:

no way, there's no texture here.

Yes, there is. A "snake/intestines" texture is there.
EDIT: Removed signature. I know what your'ethinking: We get it, copyroght sucks, remove that sig! Done!

Hey, Xane123:

Can you get rid of the huge-ass sig please. It's annoying.

Thanks.