Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Suits

I've read the FAQ's, trawled the internet but can't play Doom 3 ***Fixed***

So I have an iMac, brand new pretty much, bought it 3 months ago.

Massive Doom fan, so I grabbed myself a Mac version of Doom 3.

I was aware that I would need certain patches to get the game to run and in my pre-purchase search also found some fantastic mods out there, the Classic Doom 3 one really grabbed me.

Anyway, I install the game as per normal dargging it into my 'Application' folder.

The Doom run icon is there, but crossed out and I'm unable to play the game, it's comes up with an error saying that Power PC is no longer support and I can't play the game.

I'm new to Mac's I've used PC's for ever and feel that if I was on one of them I could work it out, but my lack of knowledge for the Apple machine is driving me insane.

If anyone can help me or even point me in the correct direction that will be a massive help to me.

Suits said:

Apple machine

Doom 3 is compatible with Windows XP and above Windows systems only...

Deeforce said:

Is this a recent thing, is there a piece of software that has changed ??

The copy of Doom 3 that I have is a Mac specific version.

And I'm pretty sure I've read that some people are running it.

Deeforce said:

No it isn't dork, there is a Mac version of Doom3.

From what I know you need at least OSX V10.3.8, a 1.6 Ghz CPU and a Radeon 9600 or Geforce 5200 with at least 64mb of video ram to get this game to run well. Maybe you should try running the game without patching it first. That error message is weird since I'm fairly sure this game was designed for PPC Macs, not the stupid Intel ones.

Hey man, thanks for your reply.

Well my Mac is brand new and far outweights the spec you've quoted there, so I think I can rule that one out as a possible problem.

Yes, initailly I tried to run the game without any patches, just for shíts and giggles and wasn't surprised when it didn't work.

However, once I'd atempted to install the patch, it still didn't work.

I'm home tonight so I'll grab some screen shots of whats going on.

There's a version I can buy in the AppStore, but it's an unpatchable version, thus I can't run any mods with it, which is half the reason I wanted to go back and play it again if truth be told.

I would not run games on a Mac, their just not good for this.

Dont get me wrong im not bashing Mac, as a mac technician I work on Macs all day at work. I certainly appreciate certain aspects of them, and think for some people they are great.

However, as a gamer and as someone who creates 3D models and creating rendered animations, a Mac is just no good for 3D stuff. Yes they will run it, but there are so many problems.

I dont know why Doom 3 is not running on the Mac, at the end of the day if its a Mac version and you have a new Mac, it should be fine?

Due to the cost of that Mac, I would advise you buy an Xbox and do your gaming on that, I doubt you would want to spend money on a gaming PC and you are obviously a Mac user. So this makes sense :)

I dont mean to offend or insult you, far from it, so please be kind :)

bcwood16 said:

I would not run games on a Mac, their just not good for this.

Dont get me wrong im not bashing Mac, as a mac technician I work on Macs all day at work. I certainly appreciate certain aspects of them, and think for some people they are great.

However, as a gamer and as someone who creates 3D models and creating rendered animations, a Mac is just no good for 3D stuff. Yes they will run it, but there are so many problems.

I dont know why Doom 3 is not running on the Mac, at the end of the day if its a Mac version and you have a new Mac, it should be fine?

Due to the cost of that Mac, I would advise you buy an Xbox and do your gaming on that, I doubt you would want to spend money on a gaming PC and you are obviously a Mac user. So this makes sense :)

I dont mean to offend or insult you, far from it, so please be kind :)

Thanks for your response.

I have a Xbox already and funnily enough, I have Doom 3 on that already, as well as Classic Doom via XBLA.

Yes, I use a Mac for general bits and pieces as well as CS4, music bits and various other things.

I play Minecraft on my Mac and I liked the idea of getting Doom 3 and running some of the patches users have created for it to enhance my experience.

Yes, I have a Mac version of Doom 3 and I'm at a loss as to why it won't run.

I'll get some screen grabs tonight and show you what I'm seeing.

Xbox version is very different, I'd recommend you play the computer version instead. Only thing salvageable from the Xbox port are the co-op levels, due to the gameplay tweaks in it making it feel like Classic Doom.

Sodaholic said:
Xbox version is very different, I'd recommend you play the computer version instead.

Oh you would would you ??

Funny that, because that's exactly what I'm trying to achieve and is the whole pont of the thread.

For those that GAF, or for future reference and support, this is sorted.

I simply emailed ASPYR support explaining my problem.

Within the hour they had emailed me back with a link to the a download.

I downloaded it.

It patched something.

The game runs perfectly.

I'm now playing Classic Doom 3 and loving it.

Now I had previously visited the ASPYR site and searched Doom 3 but it hadn't thrown anything up.

Either way, nice simple fix.

There's also several Doom 3 GPL'd source code-based ports around. I use Dhewm3 on Linux and it works great, I think it can run on Mac OS X too.

Does the built-in editor (DoomEdit) work in Mac? Try it by typing the "editor" command at the console.

printz said:

Does the built-in editor (DoomEdit) work in Mac? Try it by typing the "editor" command at the console.

I'll test and let you know. I'm at work ATM.

it doesn't; DoomEdit is very ingrained into a Win32/MFC environment and it'd take quite some work to port it to anything else. Nobody has undertaken the project afaik.