Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Just did a full and honest playthrough of Requiem (unlike my usual fake playthroughs where I IDCLEV around and play each map until I die.)

The music was awesome but Iika Keranen's maps were terrible. I had a lot of fun through most of it though.

Now doing a full and honest playthrough of Reverie. I'm on MAP11.

They're soooo linear and full of 64-width hallways, featureless buildings, and handrails everywhere. Not all of Iika Keranen's maps are bad (I really like Dystopia 3) but if there was any map in Requiem that was annoying as hell for me to play, I could be sure it was Iika's mapping.

I liked Iikka's levels, though that Cursed Kingdom was a bit huge and all buildings were square/rectangle like. Gameplay side in them was nice. Escape From Chaos was great.

And just completed the whole set.. Wonder what to play next...

40oz said:

They're soooo linear and full of 64-width hallways, featureless buildings, and handrails everywhere. Not all of Iika Keranen's maps are bad (I really like Dystopia 3) but if there was any map in Requiem that was annoying as hell for me to play, I could be sure it was Iika's mapping.

I believe the one map from Iika I really enjoyed in Requiem (from a gameplay standpoint) was Arachnophobia (can't remember the map slot ATM). The linearity was still there, but the the general openness of it made it at least feel dangerous for a reason other than tight ammo/health balance. Map03 played decently as well, though those HOMs late in the map are quite distracting.

Snakes said:

though those HOMs late in the map are quite distracting.

Wow, really? I never even noticed them until I opened this map in Doom Builder.

Memfis said:

Wow, really? I never even noticed them until I opened this map in Doom Builder.

The three (four?) big ones near that swinging-door, yeah. I'm pretty sure he left those arches untextured to make it look sloped, though.

Errrr. Ummm.

Finished Cyberdreams. Very cool. I preferred Gonzalo's maps to his compatriot's, but it was all a good brain exercise. I particularly liked the secret maps and MAP29, which has a great look.

Played Neil Ziring's BLT package. Two unpretentious 1994 maps. LAKE1 is primitive, being Ziring's first outing. BLT is an ugly, tough E2 style level, mainly if you don't find his secrets, but it has some cool parts like the isolated plasma rifle room.

Also played Snakes's body of solo releases. Midnight Tek Frenzy is a super fun Boom map with tons of baddies to kill that you can take at your own pace, once you stop triggering more monsters by running around. Four Maps is pretty basic but very clean; the fourth map is pretty neat, an E1 in Doom II style thing. Into Hell is much nicer though, with great fights and great details. Especially like MAP03 of that set with cool custom textures and that huge plasma brawl. Looking forward to Unholy Realms!

Now playing ALT. it's very good, with a better mixture of gameplay and environments than Sacrament, and breaks up the larger, more ambitious maps with smaller, more classic affairs. Still more puzzle-heavy than the average Doom stuff though, so bring your thinking cap.

I'm up to the third episode of Base Ganymede Complete, having beaten the first two episodes beforehand, including the two secret levels.

Edit: My Base Ganymede run is done.

Finished ALT, which comfortably straddled the gap between classic Doom and the more ambitious stuff the Russian community is known for. A bit of it falls flat but there are some great "regular" maps mixed in with crazier stuff like MAP15 and MAP09.

Also played Object "32". It's in the same style as "34" (Sonar), but much simpler in its puzzles, and smaller, too. Still a solid play with some fun to be had. Lots of traps with pain elementals, so it's threatening throughout.

Now on to finish my run of Da Will, which I started before Sacrament to gauge the similarities. It's very classical, from what I recall, being sort of a Plutonia homage.

Finished Da Will. Some really good maps, pretty Plutonic. Not fond of the mines maps from Paine, but Shadowman, Wraith, Dragon Hunter and Lainos did some great work. Also played Lutz's Reclamation, a fun, low-key Heretic map that nonetheless forced me to use my items wisely. And finished with Prayers of Armageddon, by H3llraich. It's the least satisfying megaWAD I've played to date, just small maps with tiny rooms and corridors. Some neat architecture crops up here and there, but it's the bare essentials of the corridor shooter genre, and that's very boring (encounters included), and hard to screenshot in a flattering fashion.

Now multitasking. Playing Zones of Fear, but the size of the WAD is pretty daunting, so I'll be doing my classic reviews concurrently to keep up with updates, starting with Insertion. Looks pretty good so far!

Yep, Insertation is a great set of maps, I especially enjoyed map 10. Looking forward to reading that review along with the Reclamation review, Kmxexii. :)

Been having good fun playing Memento Mori co-op survival over a lan with 2 friends, we played up to map22, the one guy sabotaged my game by blocking me in a 64 unit corridor when there was a hellknight right behind me, that scratched me to death... but I got him back on Andy Badoraks Map21 in that crusher trap, was soooo satisfying seeing the crusher slowly coming down and seeing him having nowhere to escape because the walls around him were up and trying to delay his funeral by crouching. haha

Thanks Andy!

Halfway through Alien Vendetta, been a long time since I last played that megawad, played it once in skill 2, now going through it in skill 3.

Currently I'm playing through Dungeon 13 (dungeo13.wad) I noticed in the newest newstuff chronicles. I'm halfway through now and It's been interesting enough to say I'm propably going to finish it, but basically I agree with the newstuff review of it. Some nice looking places and fairly original gameplay ideas, but too much pitch black darkness (I'm guessing this was tested with GZdoom that has a bit lighter light levels and I'm playing on regular Zdoom) and traps that force you to play with saving and loading repeatedly. There's also quite a bit of newbie mapmaker stuff like monsters shooting through solid walls and so on. Also worth noting is that there are a few places when you must have actors are infenitely tall tag turned off as there are some hanging corpses etc. blocking your way every once in a while and I just hate playing with that option. Running over and under monsters just feels very unnatural to me in Doom.

I went through both of the secret levels and oh boy did I regret entering map32. That map has the most ridiculous amount of switchhunting and annoying traps yet. I propably spent like 3 hours playing through it all the deaths included in the final time which was well over an hour.

I've decided to actually play a wad all the way through. So doing Epic 2, made it to map05, enjoying it very much.

Beat Vanguard on UV with Brutal Doom. Damn that was intense!

Then did a run-through of UAC Ultra again (since I love it so much), this time on Nightmare w/ Brutal Doom again. You really have to use cover a lot more when playing this way, especially since most of the environments in the mapset are fairly closed off. BD already makes the enemies faster, so add a little extra speed on Nightmare and they fire literally the instant they see you. So many projectiles moving so quickly, it almost turns Doom into COD with all the cover I was taking. Almost.

Finished Insertion, which was a nice throwback to the early era of quality Doom levels. I hadn't played anything of Shaw's before so it was interesting seeing the musician turn mapper, and the whole set ties together nicely as it's almost all techbase. There are a few unfortunate bits - mostly the dreaded spectre of "symmetry" - but it plays very well. My only hangup was Evans's "Barracks of Hell", where if you don't know about the BFG, you're gonna have a rough time.

Also played TGH's Year 23, a very nice Hell-themed map (love the juxtaposition of the red / lava and the charcoal-recolors of the marble textures) and quite challenging. Well, for me, at least. Now playing Cleimos 2.0. They're mostly very small maps, on the order of BF_THUD! (in more ways than one). They're also way worse than Eternal Doom could ever hope to be in terms of unclear puzzle solutions with tons of deadend backtracking and stuff like secret keys. The only saving grace is the fact that the levels are so tiny, so you usually don't have a lot of ground to cover to find whatever it is you missed. Still, they play pretty nice.

Tried to play Deus Vult two times in a row, both times couldn't finish the first map, i think it's really, really unimpressive, and horizontal and square in a bad way.

For what it's worth, if you've only seen the first part of the first map or so, you haven't really seen Deus Vult. That opening base area is hideously square, flat and underdetailed compared to what it gets up to later.

Now I'm playing Whispers of Satan. I skipped MAP28 of Scythe and gave up on MAP30. :-(

The original iwads, scythe 2, hr2, alien vendetta and my own maps.
I'm trying to play better than I usual because I wanna make harder maps and I should be able to test them myself.

I just completed Doom64 yet again. This time with a funny twist in the end. I was bfging the mother demon, and she was shooting stuff at me, and when she died, I also died, like the exact same time. The game then faded into the finale...

Jimi said:

...and when she died, I also died, like the exact same time. The game then faded into the finale...

I love it when that happens on the finale of any boss map. Best ending.

Jumpmaze and Jumpix. I used to suck at them real hard, but I'm slowly getting better.

Finished Cleimos. A lot of the later maps are better than the openers, but it's a fun project and really picks your brain in a less intuitive manner. I wish they had made four actual levels to close out the end, but I guess they wanted to let their maze and lift fetish flow sans monsters.

Played two Heretic maps; Chris Lutz's TORTURE (which was pretty fun even though I played without the crossbow, just hard) and John Anderson's RECANT, a cool-looking Heretic map that starts out kind of hard and then quickly escalates into player dominance.

Played an episode from my least favorite Memento Mori author, Alden Bates. I actually want to see what the finished megaWAD - Alternate Doom ][ - would look like. The levels are all small and rough, but a lot of the action is much better than the lackluster "Mansion" or soul-crushing "Experiment".

Also played Donner's Dead Perfect. It's more good Hell Revealed action, and not all that hard, though I realize the fact that speedrunning these things is the main challenge given all the moving parts in such a small space. I like the frantic, congested action.

Moving on to Paul DeBruyne's Sector 666.

Edit: Forgot to mention Michael Kelsey's STONES, perhaps the most ancient "serious" Doom map. It's very Kelsey in that it's easy to miss half of the level, the section where all the real action happens, and it's more devious at hiding its secrets than your average Doom level. Sure, it looks like '94, but it's not bad. Not bad at all.

Just finished Requiem and now starting Perdition's Gate by Wraith on UV.

Just started playing base ganymede, great fun so far.

I was hesitant to give it a go seeing as its for original doom, but it really changes the way you play it - doom 2 monsters are deadly without walls to hide behind, but with less threatening doom 1 monsters to face I find myself diving in with guns blazing and end up running through the map dragging an army of enemies behind me. Really enjoyable and very different style of play to creeping and hugging the corners.