Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rellik

Don't Americans have any respect?

Okay, now I'm pissed. America has just recently killed four Canadain soldiers in a friendly fire incident in the war to fight terrorism. The war began as a result of an attack on New York City, after which Canucks fell all over themselves trying to help in any way we could.

Now the Americans are booing the Canadian anthem at the playoff games between the Leafs and the Islanders. How the fuck are you gonna boo our anthem after they just killed four of our boys fighting their fucking war? And at, of ALL places, New York??!?! This absolutely boggles my mind. Are New Yorker this big of assholes? Suddenly I don't feel sorry about the attack at all. What a bunch of jerks. Don't they have any respect at all? I mean, boo the players, sure, but booing our anthem after what just happened is just fucking retarded.

Uh, these are sports fans you're talking about.

Y'know, people who take a game seriously?

What do you expect? Look for signs of intelligence elsewhere.

Rellik said:

Are New Yorker this big of assholes?

Yes.

Suddenly I don't feel sorry about the attack at all.

Doesn't that make you as callous as the people who were booing?

Hey, I resent that remark, I'm a New Yorker, and I'm certainly not an asshole. I'm a prick. And honestly, how can you judge an entire group of people by the actions of a few? That is like saying all Germans are Nazis or that all African-Americans steal or that all Mexicans and Irish people drink themselves stupid or all Southerners beat their wives and have sex with relatives. Wait...some of those are sterotypes, but still.

So because a few people were being assholes, you don't care that hundreds of innocent people died, some just because they were trying to save others? Fodders, insult this guy a lot for me alright?

I found it obnoxious that they would do such a thing, but am convinced that as hockey fans they wouldn't have even heard of the gaff in Afghanistan, and it's traditional to boo opposing teams anthems ain't it? Checking news reports it seems this has happened at more than one sports venue this last week or so...
Booing anyone's national anthem is moronic and useless.

It's as stupid as attempting to use any significant psycho-analytical methodology in explaining why sports fans do it.

There is no significant reason why the crowd at The Palace in Auburn Hills booed the Canadian national anthem before the Detroit Pistons-Toronto Raptors NBA playoff game Sunday night.

No need looking for deep, buried hostility.

The reasons are right on the surface and quite simple. It's stupidity and thoughtlessness. These are sports fans who have trouble separating reality from the insignificant, pure escapism that is professional sports, who have wrapped themselves in the colours of American flag and announce that "It's us against them." There is no other way.

How does one explain to the knuckle-draggers that they are in desperate need of a life that doesn't revolve around multi-millionaire players attempting to put a ball inside a hoop?

Booing a national anthem goes beyond the boundaries of even fan zealotry. To most countries, their anthem is a symbol of their nationhood and independence. Demeaning it is one of the greatest signs of disrespect one can show a country.

Was it too much to ask that those who booed show a modicum of respect for Canada considering an American bomber killed four Canadians and injured eight in Afghanistan in an incident of friendly fire?

Obviously, it was.

Then they would have been forced to acknowledge something or someone exists beyond the boundaries of the good ol' U. S. of A. Far too many of those fans believe the world begins and ends with the red, white and blue.

This happened in Detroit, separated from Canada by the Detroit River. It might as well be the Atlantic Ocean.

"Duh, I didn't know Canadians got killed. But I wonder what's going to happen to Robert Blake's parrot now that Blake's been arrested for murdering his wife."

Canadians will wait for an apology from someone, somewhere. We'll be waiting a long time. Look at the coaxing it took to get a half-baked apology out of the knuckle-dragger they have as president. What is one to expect from sports fans?

After all, fan is a derivative of "fanatic." Enough said.

And boo is a derivative of the word "boor." Enough said.

OK, I made the last part up, but it definitely fits, as a "boor" is a rude or insensitive person

The Canadian national anthem takes a beating almost as much as Canadian teams do.

- There was the upside-down Canadian flag incident before the World Series in 1992 when a U.S. Marine Honour Guard marched in with the flag in Atlanta.

- Mary O'Dowd forgot the words to the national anthem in Yankee Stadium in the mid-1980s.

- K.C. Parks sang the Canadian anthem to the tune of O Christmas Tree before a Canadian Football League game in 1995 in Las Vegas.

- New York Knicks fans booed the Canadian national anthem before an NBA game against the Raptors last year.

- And who can forget Canada's own TSN snubbing the local McAuley singing group, who warbled the anthems before a major league baseball all-star game.

There is one other reason why the fans boo national anthems. Anthems don't illicit the same respect they once did. Stop playing them before every dog and pony show.

An anthem is no longer special. Only on rare occasions does it move the spirit and the soul.

Look around the next time the anthem is played. Fans continue to walk and talk and many men don't remove their caps. Athletes shift their feet and slouch and many walk or skate away before the anthem is over. The media talk or walk around in the press box. Singers often forget or change words or stylize the anthem so that it sounds like gangsta' rap or Mickey Mouse singing on 78.

And those are just a few of the atrocities committed on national anthems.

Save the anthem for international events involving national teams. Then it truly means something. It becomes a symbol for a nation, not an over-used ditty. When I was young they played the Anthem at the end of every cinema showing, and you stood up and stood still, there was always a rush to get out before it started, fair enough, but if you got caught halfway out the cinema when it started, you damn well stood still where you were until it finished

fodders said:

When I was young they played the Anthem at the end of every cinema showing, and you stood up and stood still, there was always a rush to get out before it started, fair enough, but if you got caught halfway out the cinema when it started, you damn well stood still where you were until it finished

Cool :-]
That kinda reminds me of something else.

Yes it's the fans that acted badly but not even a single word from anyone on the American side goes to show exactly how much they care. And it's pretty hard to feel badly for people who go out of their way to let you know just how little they think of you. You think SOMEONE would've come out and said something or apologized formally, but no. I used to feel sorry for New York, but it feels like they've told us exactly what they think we are: chumps. Sorry, but you can attack the sports teams and government all you want, but spitting on my flag is an entirely different matter.

That's because you people have functional countries. Here, for instance, everything you do is entirely your archievement. This country is one big omniobstacle. Symbolism just doesn't work.

Rellik said:

Yes it's the fans that acted badly but not even a single word from anyone on the American side goes to show exactly how much they care. And it's pretty hard to feel badly for people who go out of their way to let you know just how little they think of you. You think SOMEONE would've come out and said something or apologized formally, but no. I used to feel sorry for New York, but it feels like they've told us exactly what they think we are: chumps. Sorry, but you can attack the sports teams and government all you want, but spitting on my flag is an entirely different matter.

A. They're sports fans. They'd just as well put down another state's team as they would another country's team.
B. As Fodders said, they probably didn't know about it.
C. You think it's alright that hundreds of people died, men, women children. People lost family members and lives there. People felt a kind of terror and fear you can't imagine right before they died. Just because a few stupid sports fans??? I've got nothing against Canada, nor does anyone I know.
D. You sir, are an idiot (Copyright Fodders)

I remember there was some incident once when the Americans flew the Australian flag upside down in a soccer match or something. The Aussies got so pissed and they started making t-shirts with upside-down American flags on them. Hehe. That was funny. I need to get me one of those shirts.

Sports hooligans are a culture of their own, and should never be taken as an example of a greater society.

fodders said:

Yeh, 30% of English football fans are neo-nazi thugs banned from travelling abroad nowadays

Ah, but they aren't REAL football fans - they just disguise the fact that they like to start trouble under that football entusiasm of theirs. I actually feel sorry for the real football fans - those who just want to watch a game and enjoy themselves. They get their fun spoiled by these ...these... animals known as hooligans.

And British hooligans aren't the only ones - there are also hooligan morons in my country and in Germany and France as well (probably also in other countries as well).

A. They're sports fans. They'd just as well put down another state's team as they would another country's team.
B. As Fodders said, they probably didn't know about it.

Re-read my second post, why didn't anyone say that what they did was WAY out of line?

C. You think it's alright that hundreds of people died, men, women children. People lost family members and lives there. People felt a kind of terror and fear you can't imagine right before they died. Just because a few stupid sports fans??? I've got nothing against Canada, nor does anyone I know.

No I don't think it's alright, especially as my brother was supposed to be on the plane that hit the Pentagon. It pisses me off that after attack we're 'best friends', but now it's okay to boo our anthem after you kill four of our boys? On the same day that they're being buried? Then no one says anything about it, if Americans really thought they were wrong, why didn't they say so?

D. You sir, are an idiot (Copyright Fodders)

Ouch, that's the best you can come up with?

Think about if we had booed the American anthem on September 12th. Hell, you guys would've nuked us. But Americans just do what they want and expect the rest of the world to just smile and take it up the ass. Nationalism is fine, but American nationalism always seems to come at the expense of everyone else.

Rellik said:

No I don't think it's alright, especially as my brother was supposed to be on the plane that hit the Pentagon.

I would rewrite that, it looks like you really hate your bro :) and are pissed he wasn't on it

At least none of us are that naive...Also, it's good to have the varity of opinions we have in these forums.

P.S. to Rellik: Your brother was about to have died on that plane? Wow. If that's true... (Sorry, it just seems too hard to believe.)

Yup it's true. I talked to him and he said he was leaving in 2 days first thing in the morning. When I finally did get a hold of him (that was the scariest 15 minutes of my fucking life too) he got delayed at work and had to take a later flight.

Heh, fodders that definately ain't what I meant. :p The guy gave me 1800 bucks american worth of air miles when I went to Dallas so you KNOW he's my favorite human in the world. :)

Well, atleast it looks like everything is calming down now. Though the Bruins sure have an ass-kicking coming to them.

orion said:

Damn, talk about good luck, if he wasn't late he'd be dead.

What makes me really old is the same tale was told to me by my mom, my grandad should have been on the Titanic, now That is old :(

My parents are both slightly older than you, foddie.

My parents are both 48. My grandma was born around the time when the ship sank.

Personally, I don't give a shit about patriotism. I like things the way they are where I live because they're peaceful and quite. If we were ruled by Britain and I still had this peace and quite and the forest I'm in, I wouldn't give half a rat's ass.

And I don't really find joy in finding new ways to insult people, since my insults aren't very serious themselves.

My dad is 57 and my mom just turned 50.

[EDIT] I'll be 20 here in three weeks. For some reason, that thought scares the piss outta me, but I don't know why...