Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
diosoth

where are the GOOD Doom 3 mods?

I reinstalled Doom 3 and started looking for mods for it. I found Perfected Doom 3, which gets high praise but I think is garbage. The shoulder-mounted light puts out almost no useful light, you holster weapons while running, weapons do less damage and monsters do way more. I'm not even sure the armor does anything, I was dying in 1 hit so many times on the easy setting because of an imp fireball or shotgun cutting me down on full health with full armor. Plus the mod really boosts the game's system requirements by a good deal- my onboard integrated card can run the game on medium settings, 1024 x 768 at a nice framerate. With this mod in place, that same setting barely crawls along.

I looked into flashlight mods. Most just glue a light to only certain guns, and some of these even "tweak" the guns for "balance".

Okay, when I hear the term "balance" used for a game, I know that really means "making it harder and less enjoyable". I'm avoiding any mod that does less damage per shot, this is pointless. Especially if said mod increases monster damage. People seem intent on modding games for "realism", well that's not why I play video games. If I want realism, I go outdoors. Realism goes out the window when I can carry 10 guns in my back pocket.

I tried Doom 3 reloaded, same story- weaker guns, no real improvements. I just want a basic flashlight mod, no messing with guns. Maybe dual-wielding, maybe some extra stuff, but no neutering to firepower, no overpowered creatures that kill me at full health in 1 shot. I browse Filefront's Doom 3 section and find nothing of use.

Doom 3 Phobos, The Dark Mod and Hexen - The Edge of Chaos... especially Doom 3 Phobos.

tested 7.0 the best doom3 mod, is more largest than the doom3 itself, new monsters and some nostalgic levels from doom1, doom2 and doom 64, also is very hard, lots of trapps and monster in a room.

doomero-21 said:

tested 7.0 the best doom3 mod

Tested is not very good IMO, gameplay is quite unbalanced and the levels are a mixed bag. Many of them have boring, extremely linear layouts. Many look bland and amateurish, or have bad lighting.

You should definanly check out "The Shambler's Castle". It's pretty much Quake 1 running in Doom 3 engine :P Really good mod though.