Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Philnemba

DOOM 3 BFG Edition - Debut Trailer

Shaviro said:

You can attach all the different buzzwords and try to cover up your lack of insight with all the insults you want. Doom 3 is a result of id software remaking Doom 1. They rebooted the series by remaking Doom 1. Poorly, yes.

What you're suggesting is not only stupid and self-contradictory, it's ultimately pointless. "Remaking" a 19 year old game without really changing anything is a completely worthless exercise where the best possible outcome is a game that is only slightly worse than the original, but now completely outdated.
Want Doom1? Play Doom1.

I have played DOOM 1. I've been playing it since I was 5. My point is a remake is basically taking the game and putting a fresher and newer coat of paint on it. Like Ocarina of Time 3D. Super Mario 64 DS. Tomb Raider Anniversary. Sure they aren't DOOM games. But AT LEAST they remake properly. DOOM 3 could have been a sequel to one of the greatest first-person shooters of all time but it flopped by putting in survival-horror elements.... it could have been the most awesome sequel to DOOM 2 and featuring tons of Slayer, Metallica, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Dragonforce music in it.... but instead they went with horror stuff.... it didn't feel like DOOM.... not saying that I hate DOOM 3. I love DOOM 3 because it reminded me of System Shock 2 (which by the way is awesome!)

idSoftware981 said:

No.... completely different gameplay. Different levels, different weapon design... if you call DOOM 3 a remake of DOOM 1... you must have an IQ below 100. DOOM 3 was a REBOOT. There's a difference. If it was a remake it would have been much more well recieved and much more like the original DOOM 1 that all of us have grown up with.

From what I've seen, Reboot and Remake are nearly interchangeable.

Doom 3 may of seemed like a Reboot because it had different art direction and things, but the thing is, it was a remake because the Story was pretty much the same, most of the monsters reappeared, and it kinda of had the same idea. (Start in Tech Base, Tech Base becomes fleshy, Hell [Then Back to Tech Base, then suddenly to Dig Site, and then back to Hell again, but anyways]).

Reboot is usually trying to kickstart a franchise again, but at the same time, when ever someone does this, they're usually remaking something old, giving it the same name and story, and either changing some things to make it fresh, but otherwise it just has some new polish on it. RoboCop for instance, or Total Recall maybe (Not sure, as I can't really qualify this as a remake of the movie, but just another Adaption of 'We Can Remember it for You Wholesale'.)

*shrug*

Something like that anyways.

Through the Fire and Flames would be a fairly inappropriate song for the situation, I'd think.

Plus Doom 3 came out before that.

I think Slayer would be the most appropriate band to make the soundtrack because they are pretty much synonymous with Doom. I can't listen to Slayer without thinking of Doom and even their cover art reminds me of doom every time. Songs like Season in the Abyss, Hell Awaits pretty much emit the atmosphere of Doom and lets not forget that Behind the crooked cross and South of Heaven are in the game.

Hearing any band over a game would probably dive me nuts and lead to hating said band.

Use3D said:

Hearing any band over a game would probably dive me nuts and lead to hating said band.

...For you, yes. But for me it is the opposite. And about the Dragonforce comment I was just joking. Though it would be funny to hear Through the Fire and Flames when your in Hell and your fighting all the demons with your shotgun in DOOM 4. **

I'd like to think FPS games have matured past the point where we need blaring rock `n roll music every single second of game time. Besides, most of my favorite DOOM music tracks were the eerier, more subtle pieces like in E1M3, E1M5, E2M2, E2M4, E2M6 & E2M7.

Am I really the only one that got sick to death of Quake II's rock soundtrack after a few hours? That didn't absolutely grate on anybody else?

Megamur said:

That didn't absolutely grate on anybody else?

No. It's one of the better examples of an (almost) all-metal soundtrack and it suited the game perfectly.

It's fine in multiplayer when there's constant action, but when I'm just wandering around in SP, looking for secrets or switches, I absolutely cannot stand it. Ultimately, I took out the CD and just used the ambient music from the N64 ports of Quake 1 & 2 instead. Q2's pace just doesn't seem right for such hard-edged music. It's too slow.

Some extra bits of information

"The new missions take place in Hell, where you shoot rockets and plasma pulses at screaming, charging demons as they attack wave after wave and you circle-strafe and hunt down health packs and armor to survive. It feels appropriately Doom-like, but even if you are very familiar with Doom 3, there'll still be some noticeable changes throughout.

"The whole world's a little bit brighter," said Willits. "We upped the player speed, upped the ammo counts, and just by doing those small things have pushed it more towards horror-action instead of horror-survival. One of the big criticisms [of the original] was that people spent way too much time hunting for ammo and not enough time shooting demons, which is what it's all about."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/03/doom-3-bfg-edition-more-horror-action-than-horror-survival

I still can't understand why they upped the ammo count, there were FAR to many shotgun shells but perhaps they are refering to ammo for higher grade weapons?That's still not a great idea.

Anyway, I like the fact that Id has switched from better graphics to better gameplay. A huge reason for repetitive cramped and overly dark leves was that Doom 3 was a very taxing game.

DooM_RO said:

"The whole world's a little bit brighter," said Willits.

inb4 people complain that Doom 3 is now too bright.

DoomUK said:

inb4 people complain that Doom 3 is now too bright.

The new hell levels remind me of Quake 3...In fact I think the art style in Doom 3 is a combination of Quake 3 and Half Life. I sure hope there are dark areas in the new levels, people should remember that there were very dark areas in Doom 1 as well like the red key card room in E1M3.

I enjoyed the dark, survival-horror setting of Doom 3 - I think id pulled it off decently. So I worry that if they try to emulate the feel of Doom 2 in Doom 3, that it will end up being both a shoddy survival-horror AND a shoddy action-horror game.

Also, I never once thought the ammo count was too low...

DooM_RO said:

I think Slayer would be the most appropriate band to make the soundtrack because they are pretty much synonymous with Doom. I can't listen to Slayer without thinking of Doom and even their cover art reminds me of doom every time. Songs like Season in the Abyss, Hell Awaits pretty much emit the atmosphere of Doom and lets not forget that Behind the crooked cross and South of Heaven are in the game.

I love Slayer! Yeah, Behind the Crooked Cross is in E3M3 and South of Heaven is in MAP07.

I already thoroughly enjoyed Doom 3, so they can't take that away from me, but I'm a little non-plussed by some of Willits' comments:

“. . . [in] one of the maps we had the staircase fall out behind you and we spawned in two imps. And we thought, “Wait, this is dumb.” So we said, “Let’s not drop the staircase.” There were a couple missions that had like 10 lost souls that came flying at you . . . “This is not fun.” We got rid of some monster closets, but we kept most of them in. The health stations. Not every health station was 100 percent. Some were like 23. And we were like, “Why’d we do this? This is dumb.”

It's sounds to me like they're taking out a lot of the fun bits. :/

By criminy, this isn't Demon's Souls - Doom 3 wasn't that hard. Hell, I finished it, and I almost never finish games. I'm really disliking this association in a lot of modern game design where 'challenge' is seen as being = to 'frustration.' Sure, it's hard to find the sweet spot, but I'd say it's at least worth the attempt.

schwerpunk said:

I already thoroughly enjoyed Doom 3, so they can't take that away from me, but I'm a little non-plussed by some of Willits' comments:

It's sounds to me like they're taking out a lot of the fun bits. :/

By criminy, this isn't Demon's Souls - Doom 3 wasn't that hard. Hell, I finished it, and I almost never finish games. I'm really disliking this association in a lot of modern game design where 'challenge' is seen as being = to 'frustration.' Sure, it's hard to find the sweet spot, but I'd say it's at least worth the attempt.

I still don't get it why they PUT IN MORE AMMO!!! Seriously, on veteran, it's hard for me to go under 200 shotgun shells although the rare types of ammo(chaingun, rockets etc) were pretty rare, even if you found most of the secrets.

Speaking of ammo, the way I see it...

More ammo than one can pick up                  :  Frustrating; boring design.
Not enough ammo to beat the game                :  Frustrating; bad design.
Enough ammo so that missing a shot feels wrong  :  NOT frustrating; GOOD design.
It's hard to go wrong with too little ammo. Just hide a couple of caches in dark corners, or secret areas; that way if the player truly runs out, then they can just hunt up some more. But I don't believe I ran out of ammo once in Doom 3, which is kind of a bummer, because some of my most exciting memories in gaming are related to just this life-and-death scenario.

Then there's the boosting of the healing stations. Serious WTF, there - we have optional difficulty settings for a reason. In Doom, it would be like replacing all the Stimpacks with Medkits. From this interview, it sounds like Willits wants you to have effectively infinite ammo and a bottomless supply of health. Why not skip the foreplay and just add regenerating health, already?

I'm all for trying new things; I even enjoyed Rage, all told. But the changes they appear to be making here just sound incredibly unstimulating.

Doom for sissies. I'll probably need to have it anyway, because after awhile everyone will have that instead of original Doom 3, just like with Star Wars.

Look what you made Id do with Doom 3, assholes. It looks utterly mediocre now that it's so bright.

Also, automatic checkpoint saves? Fuck it. You know they will be at every single tough encounter. Doom has never been about checkpoints. If you died, you had to start over. It has been a great way to be punished for failing, and not to keep you hooked on the game.

DoomUK said:

It's probably only for 3D mode. Even a minor detail like a crosshair could break the immersion when everything else seems so real.

DooM_RO said:

More news! Looks like there are some new beasties for us to kill http://www.gamefront.com/doom-3-bfg-as-fun-as-you-remember-regardless-of-the-flashlight

There's a lot of news in here, it's worth reading.

"By the end, I was fighting the big Cthulhu-like squid demons with rocket launcher hands and a half-mechanical arachnid that I only vaguely remembered dismembering me a decade ago."

Okay, so "half-mechanical arachnid" is probably a spider mastermind or arachnotron. If it's Spidey, then it's the promised new boss.

But the other is just the good old mancubus. Plenty of people think the flesh tube that connects its face to its torso is a tentacle; you have to look closely to see it is not.

Gez said:

If it's Spidey, then it's the promised new boss.

At least that would redeem the revamp.