Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
K3K

What difficulty do you usually play on?

I've been trying to play on Ultra Violence more since most pwads I can make it through on that difficulty, if the pwad is terribly hard, I play on Hurt Me Plenty. On the iwads i always play on UV.

After playing through Evilution, Plutonia and Momento Mori 1 and 2 in coop, I can't imagine ever being able to play through any of them on UV. Maybe there are less Cyberdemons in single player..?

Yep - one notable thing that Doom 2 introduced was the "multi-player only Cyberdemon placed precisely in the most damaging place", which has spread to a lot of user-made megaWADs.

There were a couple levels in Plutonia that had Cyberdemons in places that were practically impossible to deal with. One it seemed like we were probably supposed to telefrag but failed to about four dozen times.

Doom 1+2, Final Doom and any P-/megawads - UV
Heretic, Hexen and Strife - skill 5

I'm playing on those difficulties all the time. Sometimes, I make survival runs in Nightmare! in Doom1 without saves. I once had a strange urge to play episode 1 in ITYTD because it was over 10 years ago when I played in that difficulty last time and wanted to remember things' placement.

UV. I'm both casual and like challenges, but for some really hard wads that I perfer to play it on an easier difficulty, I still go for UV. I really, really don't know why. O_o

I thinks it's impossible to meaningfully generalise about difficulty level. One map author may have an entirely different feel for what they consider difficult to another author. I play on different settings depending on the map I'm playing.

Also, sometimes I change the setting depending on why I'm playing. eg If I just want a quick 5 minute blast to kill stuff in a break between bouts of work, then chances are I'll use a lower setting than if I want to play a level more seriously.

I honestly can't say that there is a particular setting that I usually play on.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Y'know what might be a fun project? Making a megawad that's actually designed to be played on NM and make it fun.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. Personally though, I would rather that such a project be designed to be played with the -respawn and/or -fast parameters on instead of just NM, so that one could still cater to players of different skill.

Of course, this would make the actual NM difficulty easier than UV thanks to double ammo, and you'd still have to trust that players read the text file before playing, but I'd consider it a good trade!

depends on the map. mostly UV. nightmare is a lot more difficult imo, even for easy, well known maps like the original doom. the exception would be slaughter maps, which i try on HMP first, if i play them on UV at all. i like exploring a map, not run for the BFG because else i'm toast in 2 seconds. overall, my preferred difficulty is about plutonia/pl2/prcp on UV.

Captain Toenail said:

Hurt me Plenty for single player most of the time. Ultra Voilence for multiplayer or if I feel like I need a challenge.

Also, for your amusement here is a wad file with 14 new difficulty settings. You need a recent ZDoom, possibly an SVN version to run it. Just run this alongside another wad and have fun. I'm sure there will be one for your liking. ;)

http://speedy.sh/rD7Qu/SkillZ.zip

14 Difficulties?! Overkill much?

I usually play on Hurt Me Plenty, but I might try out Ultra-Violence for The Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 someday. As for other IWADs and WADs, I'll have to see how I'll do with the other two IWADs I mentioned.

UV always. Even if I have to smash my face into a wall to beat a level and save every .5 milliseconds (see Sunder), I won't go down to HMP.

UV all the way because I love piles of corpses. The more strong monsters the better.

Mostly HMP for every wad, though some custom pwads that have a launcher will start me up with UV, which I try anyway. For some of the more difficult wads, that is wads that are much harder than Plutonia and HR, I'd stick with HNTR.

Never below Ultra-Violence, and usually UV -FAST, sometimes UV -RESPAWN, but rarely Nightmare!

You should have made a poll...

UV, 'cos everyone else does. It just feels like wussing out if I play it at anything lower.

HMP if I'm just going to play a couple of levels before heading out of the house (simply because hitting Enter>Enter>Enter>Enter feels so natural from years of doing it). But usually UV or NM if I'm going to be sitting down for over an hour of quality Doomage. :)

Usually UV, though if I know ahead of time it's going to be very tough, or try on UV and can't get by, I'll switch to HMP.

UV almost all the time. Though, I do tend to play pwads (TCs for example) on HMP, to see how well I can adapt to it.